SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Dec 28, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #1,111 of 2,082
I thought turning down the bass would be enough to bring out the treble. But I just found even then the treble wasn't there to my tastes.

Dec 28, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #1,112 of 2,082
I typically prefer a balanced signature with a modest or bigger soundstage and a healthy amount of bass (impact and size) without it being bloated or taking away from other frequencies.
I'll keep an eye out for more impressions on the EQ-ability of these headphones, as my main worry was the bass and not the treble, which I didn't really plan on adjusting too much based on what I heard from the demo.
I think the XM3 sounds brilliant when properly EQ’d. For me, that involves pulling the sub- and mid-bass down quite a bit, leaving the mids alone, and giving the treble just a slight bump. Instrument layering improves substantially, and detail retrieval gets a bit better as well. And thanks to the excellent ANC, the resulting bass is never lost to environmental noise, meaning that there’s a healthy amount of analog slam left over. Things improve further from there when connected to a better source (but while still EQ’d).

Here’s the EQ I’ve been using. I began by trying to push everything as neutral as possible (starting with the measurements Rtings posted), and then noodled things up and down based on how some of my favorite songs sounded.

xm3_eq_radsone_2.jpeg

Dec 28, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #1,113 of 2,082
I think the XM3 sounds brilliant when properly EQ’d. For me, that involves pulling the sub- and mid-bass down quite a bit, leaving the mids alone, and giving the treble just a slight bump. Instrument layering improves substantially, and detail retrieval gets a bit better as well. And thanks to the excellent ANC, the resulting bass is never lost to environmental noise, meaning that there’s a healthy amount of analog slam left over. Things improve further from there when connected to a better source (but while still EQ’d).

Here’s the EQ I’ve been using. I began by trying to push everything as neutral as possible (starting with the measurements Rtings posted), and then noodled things up and down based on how some of my favorite songs sounded.

xm3_eq_radsone_2.jpeg

Would you say that, EQ'd, they're my best option given what I'm looking for and how much I'm willing to spend?

Also, what app or music player are you using there?

Dec 28, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #1,114 of 2,082
Would you say that, EQ'd, they're my best option given what I'm looking for and how much I'm willing to spend?
I haven’t used any of the other three pairs you’re considering, so I can’t offer an opinion on those. That said, I do think the XM3 are brilliant commute and all-around headphones, given their superb comfort, excellent ANC, great battery life (and USB C to boot), and compact travel size. When they’re properly EQ’d they sound wonderful, and they do scale well with better sources. I really enjoy them because they’re engaging, immersive, and reasonably detailed, rather than analytical and unbiased. They give me goosebumps when listening to my favorite tunes.

Also, what app or music player are you using there?
It’s Radsone’s terrific Hi Res music player for iOS and for Android.

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/radsone-hi-res-player/id917903045
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.radsone.dct&hl=en

Dec 28, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #1,116 of 2,082
Double post

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #1,117 of 2,082
Double.post

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #1,118 of 2,082
@ledzep

Here is my suggestion.

I also kicked the M3's to the curb for absurd bass extension. (And PITA controls, lack of dual device connectivity and that "big headphone" look)

While we wait for more LDAC and APTX HD headphone options to emerge...

...Get the EarStudio ES100 LDAC reciver.
And plug into it - (wired) Bose QC20 headphones.

The ES100 (amazingly) weighs less than a small box of matches and can be clipped on to clothing. The Bose QC20 wires plugged into it can be tucked into a shirt pocket or dangle inside your shirt.

The eq on the ES100 is very good

You can configure 4 custom eq settings. I have configured them for QC20 / Car / BT speaker / Home headphones

The Bose, custom eq'ed sounds KILLER, are very discrete and I can wear winter hats no problem.

The nose cancellation on the Bose is excellent.

And it can pair both to my DAP and to my phone so I can take calls without hassle.

The menu:
Great noise cancellation
LDAC - the best Bluetooth available to transmit hi res files.
Pair to two devices at same time
Portable / descrete / light weight / hands free (if you tuck bose wires away)
Sound quality - great (but stunning if custom eq'ed)
Ambient / let in outside sounds button is easy to operate

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #1,121 of 2,082
While I'm sure the solution you've offered is a good one, I'm looking for a more complete, all in one headphone, rather than needing to clip a receiver to my shirt and hide a wire while still eq'ing the entire setup.

In addition, part of why I'm looking for over ear headphones is to keep my ears warm in fall, winter, and spring, something my FiiO FH5 Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ears don't do - even though they sound great and I'll be keeping them for summer use.

Dec 28, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #1,122 of 2,082
DP server issue

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #1,123 of 2,082
DP server issue

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #1,124 of 2,082
These sound astounding IMHO

If the features set suits you try them. They provide good physical isolation but no active NC

Audio-Technica ATH-DSR 9 BT Headphones

Dec 28, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #1,125 of 2,082
These sound astounding IMHO

If the features set suits you try them. They provide good physical isolation but no active NC

Audio-Technica ATH-DSR 9 BT Headphones

I have a soft spot for Audio Technica, but so far every single one of the headphones I've tried from them creaks when handled and worn - from my brother's MSR7s to the multiple headphones I've tried at The Headphone Bar and even multiple of the ATH-M50's i've owned.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back