SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Dec 16, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #1,081 of 2,082
Those two answers make perfect sense and I got similar on another forum. Thank you both for your answers I appreciate it! Happy Winter Season!
You can use XM3 in wired and *power on* mode (use it like a hd650), then the bass is not boosted. Think some the boosted bass is to make the NC more effective? Also, Sony 1000XM3 is a low impedance so it can easily and happily run by any smartphone directly from the headphones output.

For the Sennheiser hd650, is a high impedance 300ohm headphones, meaning it cannot be drive by any smartphones headphones output. Some may claimed some smartphone can drive it but they never drive hd650 to sound normally. Using hd650, you will have to use your smartphone/dap, couple them with a headphone amp in order to make ihd650 sing.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #1,082 of 2,082
Well after a few weeks of the X3'S I've had enough ! Thought after the mod I could live with the results and for a time all seemed ok. Then I bought the Wi1000x as they'd come in handy for when I'm in the lab as they are a bit more discrete. Well since using them I've not used the 3's as they sound a lot better and when I put on the 3's this morning the difference is night and day, the Wi1000x are just so much better and make the 3's sound even worse not to mention all the problems the cold is causing with the controls. Had a look on the Sony site and there are too many people having trouble for my liking plus the fact that Sony's response is we are looking into it and I've heard that before, so mods reversed and re boxed ready for a refund. Still need a pair of wireless over ears and it looks like my choices are limited if I want Ldac or aptx hd as a minimum or do I go the Fiio btr3 route ?
So there is a pair of sheepskin pads going spare so if anyone wants them for £15 PayPal (gift ) I'll cover shipping. First come first served.
15449542074226605589284617994561.jpg

Dec 17, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #1,085 of 2,082
Dec 17, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #1,086 of 2,082
Sony XM3 -or-
Bose QC ii -or-
V-mods CF2 Codex.

I’m not sure how ANC will affect my workouts
I currently use CF1W and looking to upgrade

Reasons leaning towards V-moda
  1. Satisfied w/ sound quality
  2. Build quality (broke a number of headphones
  3. Clamping and weight is great for running
  4. Price (trade in will be $250)
Things that will make me change
  1. Major superiority in sound quality
  2. Liking ANC (vmoda does not have ANC, last ANC headphone was beats studio 2)
  3. Price ( if I can find Sony or Bose under $250)

Dec 18, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #1,087 of 2,082
Anyone else find that plugged in, power on, the sound is substantially better? Or does it just sound better to me cause the volume can be turned on louder?

Dec 18, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #1,089 of 2,082
Anyone else find that plugged in, power on, the sound is substantially better? Or does it just sound better to me cause the volume can be turned on louder?
Yes I agree. Was very surprised to experience this. Don’t think it has to do with volume.

Dec 19, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #1,094 of 2,082
I'm wondering why it sounds better plugged in while powered on. Powered on vs off was never in question since the QN1 chip needs power.
Sorry about the misunderstanding. Then you're asking why it sounds better plugged in vs wireless. The reason is that the audio stream goes through a lossy compression before being transmitted over Bluetooth. Even the LDAC codec is lossy.

Dec 19, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #1,095 of 2,082
Sorry about the misunderstanding. Then you're asking why it sounds better plugged in vs wireless. The reason is that the audio stream goes through a lossy compression before being transmitted over Bluetooth. Even the LDAC codec is lossy.
I don't think people can hear these compression differences. They are mathematically measureable, but rather skeptical that they are audible. I personally, can't hear a difference with LDAC versus apt X, but I leave the LDAC on as why the heck not, it can do it. I will admit that in blind listening testing I can't tell a 320mp3 file from the lossless master that it comes from so given that apt x is capable of better quality than 320 that does support why I can't hear a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back