Sony WH-H910N discussion.
May 11, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #16 of 96
Is it to early to rate these against other overears you currently own or have owned? Asking because if i get these then something may have to go. maybe send the shure's back or sell my qc35...or, just keep everything, you know how it goes lol.
LOL, for sure!

As far as ANC headphones, I already have the Sennheiser M3, B&W PX7, B&W PX, and Sony XM3, so I was looking for a "deal" vs. $400 for yet another flagship (it's also a bit more fun to try multiple headphones for $400 vs. just 1).

As far as sound, they all have their own characteristics, so I hesitate to say one sounds better than the other. I usually just grab what I feel like at the time. For instance, right now, I'm using my Fidelio X2HR with a FiiO Q5s and streaming over LDAC. Rest assured, in approx. 1 hour, I'll rotate to the H910N.

The M3 are probably the most fun with some nice bass response, both in terms of quality & quantity. The PX7 also have great bass response with a more spacious and "arena-like" presentation, so it's less intimate than the M3. The PX is more balanced than the M3 or PX7 and has a nice lush signature. The XM3 is more utilitarian, in that the ANC is the best of the bunch and is my go to headphone for travel. I don't typically reach for it purely to listen to music outside of travel and the gym.

I find the H910N's sound to be in the class of the aforementioned headphones. It's a very clean presentation, yet solid "rounded" bass response that does not bleed, which cannot be said for the XM3. You can also EQ with the App and the baseline sound signature is very conducive to maximizing responsiveness of the EQ. For instance, I can EQ the XM3 to sound fairly good, but I can never get to the place where the bass is voluminous enough, yet not bleed over.

It's funny, because as with the H900N (H.ear On 2), many people felt that actually sounded better than the flagship at the time, the XM2. I had both and totally felt the same way. Not sure if there is some type of tuning that affects the overall signature as it relates to Sony's industry leading ANC.

May 11, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #17 of 96
LOL, for sure!

As far as ANC headphones, I already have the Sennheiser M3, B&W PX7, B&W PX, and Sony XM3, so I was looking for a "deal" vs. $400 for yet another flagship (it's also a bit more fun to try multiple headphones for $400 vs. just 1).

As far as sound, they all have their own characteristics, so I hesitate to say one sounds better than the other. I usually just grab what I feel like at the time. For instance, right now, I'm using my Fidelio X2HR with a FiiO Q5s and streaming over LDAC. Rest assured, in approx. 1 hour, I'll rotate to the H910N.

The M3 are probably the most fun with some nice bass response, both in terms of quality & quantity. The PX7 also have great bass response with a more spacious and "arena-like" presentation, so it's less intimate than the M3. The PX is more balanced than the M3 or PX7 and has a nice lush signature. The XM3 is more utilitarian, in that the ANC is the best of the bunch and is my go to headphone for travel. I don't typically reach for it purely to listen to music outside of travel and the gym.

I find the H910N's sound to be in the class of the aforementioned headphones. It's a very clean presentation, yet solid "rounded" bass response that does not bleed, which cannot be said for the XM3. You can also EQ with the App and the baseline sound signature is very conducive to maximizing responsiveness of the EQ. For instance, I can EQ the XM3 to sound fairly good, but I can never get to the place where the bass is voluminous enough, yet not bleed over.

It's funny, because as with the H900N (H.ear On 2), many people felt that actually sounded better than the flagship at the time, the XM2. I had both and totally felt the same way. Not sure if there is some type of tuning that affects the overall signature as it relates to Sony's industry leading ANC.
awesome. and yeah as far as the rotation, i totlly get that. my bose are the go to when i'm flying or sometimes on public transit. but i wanted to look for some other options aas i get in phases where i am bored with the sound kinda. after a while, i like it again. i love all the different sound signatures from everything i own. Shure just did an update to the firmware that adjusted the default sound with a much needed bump in the lower mids. now i'm less likely to send thhem back. i can get the nad hp 70 for $350 and that's what started me on this whole wait should i get the sony's instead?? @dweaver pointed them out to me.

May 11, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #18 of 96
awesome. and yeah as far as the rotation, i totlly get that. my bose are the go to when i'm flying or sometimes on public transit. but i wanted to look for some other options aas i get in phases where i am bored with the sound kinda. after a while, i like it again. i love all the different sound signatures from everything i own. Shure just did an update to the firmware that adjusted the default sound with a much needed bump in the lower mids. now i'm less likely to send thhem back. i can get the nad hp 70 for $350 and that's what started me on this whole wait should i get the sony's instead?? @dweaver pointed them out to me.
I mean, if you can go to Costco and grab the H910N, I would do it and give it a shot. You can always return it if they don't work out for you.

I haven't tested the NAD HP70. They've always been on my radar, but for one reason or another, I never pulled the trigger. They do look like larger headphones, so not sure where that plays in. The H910N fit securely and close to the head and have a rubberized feel, so solid for the gym, etc.

May 11, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #19 of 96
I mean, if you can go to Costco and grab the H910N, I would do it and give it a shot. You can always return it if they don't work out for you.

I haven't tested the NAD HP70. They've always been on my radar, but for one reason or another, I never pulled the trigger. They do look like larger headphones, so not sure where that plays in. The H910N fit securely and close to the head and have a rubberized feel, so solid for the gym, etc.
Yeah i'm gonna head over after work tomorrow and get a pair of the sonys. costco near me has a bunch of them. Plus they're return policy beats amazon's. so can't go wrong trying them.

May 11, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #20 of 96
Yeah i'm gonna head over after work tomorrow and get a pair of the sonys. costco near me has a bunch of them. Plus they're return policy beats amazon's. so can't go wrong trying them.
It's really a no-lose scenario.

At the Costco near me, they also had the H900N (H.ear on 2) for $99. Do you buy both?! Who knows! :scream:

May 11, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #21 of 96
The HP70 are slightly on the harsher side in APTx mode and much better in APTxHD mode if you phone can give HD mode. My old phone LG V20 can do both and they sound great but my new phone Samsung S9 is a bit to harsh for me at times. Size wise they are somewhat bulky and a bit on the heavy side as compared to 1000XM3.

My wife might help me get the 910 so I might be joining the club on these. Our budget is extremely tight these days so will see how it goes.

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #22 of 96
I have the precursor to the H900N and liked its sound but found them a bit heavy and clunky. They died recently when the battery kicked the bucket.

I hope the 910 sounds a bit better in the dynamics.

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #23 of 96
That is true about Costco, it would be a good no lose scenario and I would be able to see if I like their sound and can live with the wind noise outside. Assuming they dont have an exemption on Headphone returns here in Canada. Here's hoping...

May 11, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #24 of 96
That is true about Costco, it would be a good no lose scenario and I would be able to see if I like their sound and can live with the wind noise outside. Assuming they dont have an exemption on Headphone returns here in Canada. Here's hoping...
They SHOULD still have a sample pair on display to try if that's something you're comfortable doing. I mean, they make you wear a mask going in there, but hey, go ahead and try on the headphones. LOL!

May 11, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #25 of 96
It's really a no-lose scenario.

At the Costco near me, they also had the H900N (H.ear on 2) for $99. Do you buy both?! Who knows! :scream:
Nope, i actually thought about that yesterday when i saw the 2nd gen for $99. I'm gonna pick these sony's up, and decided i'm gonna pull the trigger on the hp70. I loved the sound of the M4U 8, bt the HP70's are tuned the same and i'm hoping the cups will fit a little better than the psb's, but also can get them for $50 cheaper than the m4u 8. Man. i haven't made impulse purchases this big since i bought the 800S, elear and afo in a span of 4 months. If there were a documentary about this hobby what would it be called??

May 11, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #26 of 96
The HP70 are slightly on the harsher side in APTx mode and much better in APTxHD mode if you phone can give HD mode. My old phone LG V20 can do both and they sound great but my new phone Samsung S9 is a bit to harsh for me at times. Size wise they are somewhat bulky and a bit on the heavy side as compared to 1000XM3.

My wife might help me get the 910 so I might be joining the club on these. Our budget is extremely tight these days so will see how it goes.
I was just looking at my costco reward dollars from last year. if i use them i could get these 910N's for about $100. I hate myself...lol. Both my v40 and mimix 2S have aptx hd and ldac so could maximize oth the sony's and hp70 as far as using best codec available on each. I agree that aptx can be, i saw someone use the word brittle at times with some devies. i like that description. it fits wiith harshness imo. the Tranya b530 pro have that harshness on aptx. and back on headphones, the shure's do a bit as well. On the other hand, if these recently released 910's are alread 30% off, could they go lower as we hit holiday season? hmm.

May 12, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #27 of 96
I think you will enjoy the HP70 in HD for sure. Enjoy :)

Let us know how you like the 910 if you get them.

May 14, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #28 of 96
OK, hot damn do these 910 kick @$$. I dont care if their ANC is not good as the 1000XM3 nore that they have smaller drivers or less features. These have rhe best musical sound of any Sony I have owned in a few years. At $250 which is $200 less than the 1000XM3 here in Canada or the upcoming 1000XM4 they slay that model for value. So much much much better sounding.

They also slay the old 100ABN I had, the 100AAP, and the original MDR-1R, and probably one or 2 other models I cant remember the numbers of LOL.

I was hoping they had better dynamics than the 100ABN and the 100AAP and they do. They have excellent treble extension without being sibilant or harsh, and have a nice detailed midrange and solid bass that isn't over cooked causing to much warmth. They are tonally accurate!!! I love my Z7 and really loved my dead XBA-5 but neither can be said to be tonally accurate making singers like Patricia Barber sound overly husky and warm and too smooth. But this 910 nails the tone and just sounds good with really good air which generally doesn't exist on ANC headphones.

Financially these were a stretch but unless they are horrible and I mean horrible in the wind (worse than the 1000XM3) these are going NO WHERE! Just everything I wanted musically from Sony.

I actually also really like the feel in hand a d I think they look pretty damn good to boot!

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #29 of 96
OK, hot damn do these 910 kick @$$. I dont care if their ANC is not good as the 1000XM3 nore that they have smaller drivers or less features. These have rhe best musical sound of any Sony I have owned in a few years. At $250 which is $200 less than the 1000XM3 here in Canada or the upcoming 1000XM4 they slay that model for value. So much much much better sounding.

They also slay the old 100ABN I had, the 100AAP, and the original MDR-1R, and probably one or 2 other models I cant remember the numbers of LOL.

I was hoping they had better dynamics than the 100ABN and the 100AAP and they do. They have excellent treble extension without being sibilant or harsh, and have a nice detailed midrange and solid bass that isn't over cooked causing to much warmth. They are tonally accurate!!! I love my Z7 and really loved my dead XBA-5 but neither can be said to be tonally accurate making singers like Patricia Barber sound overly husky and warm and too smooth. But this 910 nails the tone and just sounds good with really good air which generally doesn't exist on ANC headphones.

Financially these were a stretch but unless they are horrible and I mean horrible in the wind (worse than the 1000XM3) these are going NO WHERE! Just everything I wanted musically from Sony.

I actually also really like the feel in hand a d I think they look pretty damn good to boot!
Glad you’re digging them! Looks-wise, they are far more low key than the cheesy looking H900N.

They're so far the sleeper hit of 2020.

May 15, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #30 of 96
Agreed on the sleeper hit. By far the best sounding headphone I have tried in a while. It's hard to tell they are on BT or ANC for that matter.

It will be interesting to see what the XM4 does differently. If they keep the same signature as the XM3 then I won't even bother giving them a listen. Hell even if they do change the signature I am not sure I will bother...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back