Sony WH-H910N discussion.
Dec 8, 2019 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 96

dweaver

Headphoneus Supremus
I see Sony is releasing a new version on the bluetooth H.ear headphone WH-H910N. I am intrigued. It is obviously meant to be below the MDR-1000XM3 but this does have to mean it will be bad. The use of a 25mm driver intrigues me. Could this driver change bring a more balanced signature? The only reviews I have seen are Amazon UK and are all free vine reviews which always are suspect. But it does sound like these may be better for anyone who finds the 1000XM3 to bass oriented and dark.

I also found an interesting video where a guy recorded the headphone using some type if earphone microphone. The recording sounded quite promising.

Apr 9, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 96
I see Sony is releasing a new version on the bluetooth H.ear headphone WH-H910N. I am intrigued. It is obviously meant to be below the MDR-1000XM3 but this does have to mean it will be bad. The use of a 25mm driver intrigues me. Could this driver change bring a more balanced signature? The only reviews I have seen are Amazon UK and are all free vine reviews which always are suspect. But it does sound like these may be better for anyone who finds the 1000XM3 to bass oriented and dark.

I also found an interesting video where a guy recorded the headphone using some type if earphone microphone. The recording sounded quite promising.

Looks like they have the product feature now on their website (not sure how long it's been there, just noticed it today). It looks like an interesting, mid-tier ANC release before the XM4 (I hate you for taking all my money, Sony!).

It looks like they have LDAC, AAC, but no mention of aptX. I think Sony may be trying to flex their muscle to drive a new HD standard.

The 25mm drivers instead of the typical 40mm are interesting. Not sure how this is going to sound, but 25mm is, *ahem*, a bit small.
1586453098249.png

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 96
Ran across these at Costco and decided to pull the trigger. MSRP is $299 but right now Costco has them for $199. They have a nice rubberized feel and are well made. They also sit fairly close to your head, so the space between the headband and your head is minor. Very lightweight and stable. ANC works a lot better than I expected and seems to be oddly closer to the XM3 than I would have imagined (not as good, but still respectable at maybe 85% of the way there).

With 25mm drivers, I didn't know what to expect, but I'm pleasantly surprised. The bass is actually less "wooly" than the XM3 and has a bass presentation more suited to the audiophile crowd. Typical Sony house sound. I'm really digging these and can see them as the perfect gym headphone. AAC and LDAC, but no aptX. Works better for calls than the XM3.

IMG_2563.jpg

May 9, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 96
Awesome, just checked and they are available at Costco Canada for $250. Might have to see how to get a pair. I would love a more balanced 1000XM3 and if the call quality is better that's a big bonus. ANC would be fine if slightly less than XM3 for my needs.

May 9, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #5 of 96
Awesome, just checked and they are available at Costco Canada for $250. Might have to see how to get a pair. I would love a more balanced 1000XM3 and if the call quality is better that's a big bonus. ANC would be fine if slightly less than XM3 for my needs.
I would definitely classify them as more balanced than the XM3. The ANC is good, not top-end, but good. Probably better than then ANC on my Sennheiser M3 (which is known for sound rather than ANC).

Anyone looking for great sound, LDAC, good call performance, and respectable ANC for around $200 (US), I don't think you can do better at the moment.

May 9, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #6 of 96
The more I listen to these, I like the sound better than the XM3. After an A/B with the XM3, here are my impressions:

Bass: More controlled than the XM3. Even using EQ on the XM3 to adjust the amount of bass, the quality of bass on the H910N sounds better to me. Bass on the H910N is tighter and when you EQ, the bass becomes stronger, but still retains its controlled characteristic.

Mids/Vocals: Sound clearer to my ears and cut through the mix nicely. With the XM3, they sat slightly behind.

Highs: Much cleaner & clearer than the XM3. Sounds more refined in the upper registers hands down.

May 9, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #7 of 96
I have to figure out how to buy a pair. They sound like what I wanted from the 1000XM3. How is the sound stage and imaging? Do they suffer from wind outside?

May 10, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #8 of 96
Looks like they have the product feature now on their website (not sure how long it's been there, just noticed it today). It looks like an interesting, mid-tier ANC release before the XM4 (I hate you for taking all my money, Sony!).

It looks like they have LDAC, AAC, but no mention of aptX. I think Sony may be trying to flex their muscle to drive a new HD standard.

The 25mm drivers instead of the typical 40mm are interesting. Not sure how this is going to sound, but 25mm is, *ahem*, a bit small.
1586453098249.png
i hope that if they do, some kinks can get worked out. LDAC has been so inconsistent from an sq standpoint with other devices i've tested that support it. LDAC with the clear flowII has this weird echo reverb effect, shure aonic 50 has weird buzzing sounds in the upper octaves of instruments, and these experiences were consistent with both devices i tested it with. APTX-HD is mor stable right now across multiple devices anyway, no doubt because many phones have qualcom chips and so do many headphones. These are intriguing though. i've been on this over-ear binge kind of started last year around the holidays, then died down and now i have tried 2 different pair in the last month and looking at 3 others including these Sonys. $200 is hard to pass up. Except these from the description are on ear is that right? i never have good luck with on ears. every pair i've tried are uncomfortable AF.

May 10, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 96

That was a cool Video. I've seen reviewers use those mics before, but figured, nah they probably can't get the true sound of these headphones. i just watched it and honestly, i can easily hear the sony house sound. i listened the first track from his video, also on youtube and i can hear that the mids sound like they're clearer on the shures, treble might be a bit cleaner too, bass probably about the same. But the Aonic's were double the price.

May 10, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #10 of 96
I have to figure out how to buy a pair. They sound like what I wanted from the 1000XM3. How is the sound stage and imaging? Do they suffer from wind outside?
I tested them outside yesterday, and yes, they are prone to wind noise, so that's something to be aware of.

Imaging is good and better than the XM3 IMHO, but soundstage is a bit narrow.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #11 of 96
That was a cool Video. I've seen reviewers use those mics before, but figured, nah they probably can't get the true sound of these headphones. i just watched it and honestly, i can easily hear the sony house sound. i listened the first track from his video, also on youtube and i can hear that the mids sound like they're clearer on the shures, treble might be a bit cleaner too, bass probably about the same. But the Aonic's were double the price.
These are certainly OVER ear. I've not tried the Shure Aonic, so I'm no help there. What I can say, however, is those sound tests are only useful to me if they are A/B comparing 2 different headphones with the same setup, but only in terms of sound signature differences. The actual SQ is hard to determine unless you actually use the headphones themselves. No matter ho good the mics are, there's not only a different between input vs. output, but also how the sound interacts with a person's individual anatomy.

For $200, these are great all arounders. I personally think they sound better than the XM3. Their newer, smaller, speaker design seems to be closer to a standard freestanding speaker vs. your typical headphone driver, at least the way I understand the design.

Side Note: Been listening to Scars On 45 with these and it's great. Lots going on with their music that can sound congested on some headphones, but sounds great on these over LDAC.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #12 of 96
These are certainly OVER ear. I've not tried the Shure Aonic, so I'm no help there. What I can say, however, is those sound tests are only useful to me if they are A/B comparing 2 different headphones with the same setup, but only in terms of sound signature differences. The actual SQ is hard to determine unless you actually use the headphones themselves. No matter ho good the mics are, there's not only a different between input vs. output, but also how the sound interacts with a person's individual anatomy.

For $200, these are great all arounders. I personally think they sound better than the XM3. Their newer, smaller, speaker design seems to be closer to a standard freestanding speaker vs. your typical headphone driver, at least the way I understand the design.

Side Note: Been listening to Scars On 45 with these and it's great. Lots going on with their music that can sound congested on some headphones, but sounds great on these over LDAC.
[/QUOTEFor sure a lot of variables, and there is an imbalance of audio from left to right, sound panned mor toward the left. Microphone quality, alot of things. I'm not gonna trust those samples 100%, i just got mor info from them than i would have anticipated. they even seemed to capture that weird to my ears, uniquely sony sound in the mids. I'm stiill gonna pick these up most llikely, a lot to like for the price.

May 10, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #13 of 96
No doubt at full price these are probably only a good choice for those who really don't like the XM3 sound but like the Sony house sound in general. But at these prices these are a good budget choice that might sway a lot of people who can't afford the flagship.

I am very curious to see if the XM4 will continue the XM3 signature.

Part of my curiosity over the 910 is the smaller driver. On one hand being smaller should mean less than. But on the other hand it's at least something new as compared to the reuse of the same driver over and over. The only way it will be bad is if they have just used a cheap 25mm driver they designed for a cheaper headphone. It's a gamble either way but for me at least, it's a change...

May 10, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #14 of 96
No doubt at full price these are probably only a good choice for those who really don't like the XM3 sound but like the Sony house sound in general. But at these prices these are a good budget choice that might sway a lot of people who can't afford the flagship.

I am very curious to see if the XM4 will continue the XM3 signature.

Part of my curiosity over the 910 is the smaller driver. On one hand being smaller should mean less than. But on the other hand it's at least something new as compared to the reuse of the same driver over and over. The only way it will be bad is if they have just used a cheap 25mm driver they designed for a cheaper headphone. It's a gamble either way but for me at least, it's a change...
It definitely does not sound like a smaller version of the typical driver. I would never have guessed it was anything other than a 40mm driver.

The new design seems to improve bass response, which I worried would be thin, but it’s tight, punchy, and still has sub-bass rumble.

May 10, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #15 of 96
It definitely does not sound like a smaller version of the typical driver. I would never have guessed it was anything other than a 40mm driver.

The new design seems to improve bass response, which I worried would be thin, but it’s tight, punchy, and still has sub-bass rumble.
Is it to early to rate these against other overears you currently own or have owned? Asking because if i get these then something may have to go. maybe send the shure's back or sell my qc35...or, just keep everything, you know how it goes lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back