Sony WH-1000XM5 Wireless Noise Cancelling
Jun 6, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #483 of 575
How has the adaptive ANC improved on these with subsequent firmware updates? I tried a pair about 9 months ago and return them as about 25% of the time it would just partially drop out of full-ANC mode as it detected something that it decided needed to be adapted to, eventhough it was usually nothing, or me accidentally brushing my arm against when raising my arm. Which on an airplane happens regularly.

Jun 6, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #484 of 575
How has the adaptive ANC improved on these with subsequent firmware updates? I tried a pair about 9 months ago and return them as about 25% of the time it would just partially drop out of full-ANC mode as it detected something that it decided needed to be adapted to, eventhough it was usually nothing, or me accidentally brushing my arm against when raising my arm. Which on an airplane happens regularly.
it hasn't, last firmware is 1.1.3 from september, sony gave up

Jun 6, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #485 of 575
it hasn't, last firmware is 1.1.3 from september, sony gave up
Cool thanks. Then I won't bother trying it again. Maybe an XM6 will perform better (and be even more comfortable).

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #486 of 575
I bought mine to use on airplanes, greatly preferred the passive noise cancelling of IEMS instead after comparing both on a flight. IEMS block more noise for me and are less of an irritant to my ears without that high pitched sound. Now they sit on my desk :joy:

Feel free to correct, but unless im misunderstanding ANC, I'm not sure if I can trust ANC in an airplane cabin which is usually around 80 dB. The materials dont block much passively, maybe 10-15db at most for the xm5. If you try ANC off first on a plane, you'll be able to tell how thin the materials are. I wonder how loud the anti noise on the ANC must be to neutralize the waves. :thinking: Add that to a 10+ hour flights, bye bye hearing?

Jun 6, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #487 of 575
I bought mine to use on airplanes, greatly preferred the passive noise cancelling of IEMS instead after comparing both on a flight. IEMS block more noise for me and are less of an irritant to my ears without that high pitched sound. Now they sit on my desk :joy:

Feel free to correct, but unless im misunderstanding ANC, I'm not sure if I can trust ANC in an airplane cabin which is usually around 80 dB. The materials dont block much passively, maybe 10-15db at most for the xm5. If you try ANC off first on a plane, you'll be able to tell how thin the materials are. I wonder how loud the anti noise on the ANC must be to neutralize the waves. :thinking: Add that to a 10+ hour flights, bye bye hearing?
Is there any science to backup your claim, that extended ANC will affect hearing? Because if there is proof, I'll throw away all my ANC headphones today (I already have some mild hearing loss paired with mild tinnitus, don't need it to get any worse) and only buy headphones with good passive noise isolation.

I do have a pair of CIEMs, but I haven't worn them in years as it just gets uncomfortable after a couple hours (maybe I need a better fit though).

Jun 7, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #488 of 575
Is there any science to backup your claim, that extended ANC will affect hearing? Because if there is proof, I'll throw away all my ANC headphones today (I already have some mild hearing loss paired with mild tinnitus, don't need it to get any worse) and only buy headphones with good passive noise isolation.

I do have a pair of CIEMs, but I haven't worn them in years as it just gets uncomfortable after a couple hours (maybe I need a better fit though).
I'm not sure, I'm just wondering based on what I could find on how ANC works which is why I'm hoping someone can correct me if my logic is flawed since I'm not an expert in soundwaves. But looking at diagrams online, they seem to show that the noise is cancelled by sending the anti wave. Here's one of many I could find:
1686111066863.png

Sure, you can hear music better with ANC but how loud are the anti-waves to cancel out sound above certain decibels?

This must be why some people can hear the high frequency noise when ANC is turned on (not just for the Sony's but in general for ANC) and some people can't hear it.

Jun 7, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #489 of 575
I'm not sure, I'm just wondering based on what I could find on how ANC works which is why I'm hoping someone can correct me if my logic is flawed since I'm not an expert in soundwaves. But looking at diagrams online, they seem to show that the noise is cancelled by sending the anti wave. Here's one of many I could find:
1686111066863.png

Sure, you can hear music better with ANC but how loud are the anti-waves to cancel out sound above certain decibels?

This must be why some people can hear the high frequency noise when ANC is turned on (not just for the Sony's but in general for ANC) and some people can't hear it.
this would interest me as well how it affects the hearing...

Jun 12, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #490 of 575
Ditto on the above question about the long term impact of using ANC. I'I'm using these now on a plane and I can hear a little hiss when the music is not playing. I'm not using the adaptive sound but the manual selection for noise cancellation through the app. The sound reduction of the airplane noise is significant and I'm in the back of plane. The overall sound is solid with lossless over ldac from my lgv60.

Jun 22, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #491 of 575
Got the Dekoni Choice Leather Ear Pads for the XM5.
So far, the pads feels more comfortable then the original ones, got a bit more space between the ears and the driver, i also would say they isolate a bit more.
Sound wise i need to get some more impressions, but thanks to the EQ you could change it to your prefences.

Jun 23, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #492 of 575
Got the Dekoni Choice Leather Ear Pads for the XM5.
So far, the pads feels more comfortable then the original ones, got a bit more space between the ears and the driver, i also would say they isolate a bit more.
Sound wise i need to get some more impressions, but thanks to the EQ you could change it to your prefences.
I have the Dekoni pads on the XM3 & am a big fan. Have actually replaced them once, due to wear & tear. Sounds the XM5 version pads are similar to the XM3.

Jun 30, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #493 of 575
How do those affect the ANC? When I got them for my XM4 the ANC was noticeably worse.

Jul 16, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #495 of 575
Hi new XM5 owner here just a few random questions since am newbie to them and coming from Wired AT Hps+Topping headphone amp set up.
I used a Win10 desktop PC currently with a cheap ebay BT 5.0 adapter and an LG C2 TV with BT.

I did read 33 pages and tried to make sense but some bits are missing.

1: Is a cheap BT 5.0 adapter for desktop PCs off ebay ok quality or is it better to grab a BT 5.3 better quality one? I use windows 10 currently.

2: After a PC restart I have to head back to windows BT menu settings and despite my XM5s saying
Paired I still have to click Connect button to re-connect to get sound. This is a bit too repetitive is there a short cut or automatic connecting up of the XM5s?

3. I noticed with my LG C2 + XM5 the voices were out of sync on all hdmi sources, PC, Nvidia Shield, CableTV etc so I switched all sound settings to PCM or PCM 2.0
this fixed the lip sync issue was PCM the correct setting? (just double checking)

4: My LG C2 TV sound settings has DTV Audio setting currently set to Auto, but there is HE-AAC, Dolby digital plus, Dolby digital and MPEG options to select
should I just leave it to auto?

5: If I want the best sound quality regardless do I have to switch off ANC feature via Sony app or the ANC button on side of XM5?

Would appreciate any replies back, even if you don't know the answers to all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back