Sony WH-1000XM5 Wireless Noise Cancelling
Jun 12, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #226 of 575
That's what I reckon is happening although I'm not sure if it's such... I don't use the Adaptive Sound Control which AI takes over ANC and how much Ambient Sound comes through. I cannot seem to replicate what these users are talking about since my ANC experience with M5 is mind blowing.
x2

Jun 12, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #227 of 575
That's what I reckon is happening although I'm not sure if it's such... I don't use the Adaptive Sound Control which AI takes over ANC and how much Ambient Sound comes through. I cannot seem to replicate what these users are talking about since my ANC experience with M5 is mind blowing.
Why not tell us more about how to do that.

Many people on Reddit have had the XM4 or XM3 so we have to assume that they know what they are doing.

I take it that we need an App, which was not the case with the XM4 from my experience?

Perhaps many of us are doing something wrong or we have to install an App to gain control of the ANC?

I mainly use the XM5 fed from my Windows 10 laptop. I also use good DAPs to feed the XM5.

I do not find it acceptable that we are forced to use an App or a phone to be able to use full ANC.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #228 of 575
Why not tell us more about how to do that.

Many people on Reddit have had the XM4 or XM3 so we have to assume that they know what they are doing.

I take it that we need an App, which was not the case with the XM4 from my experience?

Perhaps many of us are doing something wrong or we have to install an App to gain control of the ANC?

I mainly use the XM5 feed from my Windows 10 laptop.

I do not find it acceptable that we are forced to use an App or a phone to be able to use full ANC.

Out of the box, the M5 works without app - just like previous gens. It simply fast paired to my Xperia device almost instantly - I played music as soon as it paired -- before even going into the app to register to Headphones Connect.

I also connected to and tested on a secondary mobile device without app installed and it works just fine.

I'd spent too much time on Reddit LOL, being helpful to new users since the launch of the both WH and WF M4. Majority of them don't even know how to use all the features, Speak To Chat and Adaptive Sound Control, seems to be the culprit on why the ANC suck for them (including my own friends asking me why does their music stop as soon as they speak). Thinking it's a dud batch that missed QC or a pair that's just buggy. A good majority of them didn't know that an app was needed to control features.

However, I wish I knew what's happening with this auto ANC issue this group of users are experiencing. I assume everyone here on Head Fi know a lot more of what's what and how than general consumers.

Jun 12, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #229 of 575
I cannot seem to replicate what these users are talking about since my ANC experience with M5 is mind blowing.
exactly... they are talking about ambient sound or so.

i can do the washing machine test as well and i can tell you that xm5 does do a much better job, especially at higher speed = high sound signature.

Jun 13, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #230 of 575
Are those guys (reddit anc problems) using ambient?

you can turn it off

turn of ambient in software app and you can toggle between FULL ANC and NO ANC by pressing the button on the headphone
we are not dumb man

Also, another thing I noticed, is that xm5 do a much worse job using them with glasses than without, like mindblowing difference, but still the ANC on auto problem is there

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #231 of 575
Meanwhile, i did some testing with full ANC ON

there is no difference for me in playing music or not - anc is always the same

Jun 13, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #233 of 575
Jun 13, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #235 of 575

you can turn it off

turn of ambient in software app and you can toggle between FULL ANC and NO ANC by pressing the button on the headphone

From one of those guys on Reddit clarifying to me the issue they're experiencing:

"To be clear, the auto ANC we’re talking about is different than the adaptive sound control. The ANC adjusts its strength based on the ambient sound. It’s subtle, but if you listen close you can hear loud sounds get canceled more. Some people prefer just manually having ANC set at max, regardless of ambient sound, but that is not an option with these."

For context, Sony's site regarding Auto ANC:

"When you wear the headset, this function always automatically optimizes the noise canceling performance by analyzing the wearing condition of the headset according to the shape of your face and your hairstyle, or the presence or absence of glasses, and the pressure change in an airplane, etc."

https://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/wh1000xm5/v1/en/contents/TP1000534561.html

##

I suspect some headsets possibly aren't seamlessly responsive to the ANC strength based on user external conditions and environments.

Been using my M5 under different use case scenarios - fortunately, no buggery on the Auto ANC side for me.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #236 of 575
Having had these a few days now, I am sad to say that they still very much cook your ears. Used them indoors last night just sitting around for no more than 20 minutes and my ears were a sweaty mess when I took them off. It is so frustrating that Sony cannot fully tick the comfort box.

Jun 14, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #238 of 575

you can turn it off

Really? I'm so silly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back