Sony WH-1000XM4 discussion and reviews
Oct 25, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #241 of 634
I recently got the Bose QC 35 I on sale for a good price with the recent crop of sales that was going on, but I can't help but notice the SQ is crap. The upper frequency articulation is just terrible! It has a really bad disjoint sounding highs with only certain frequencies making up the sound. Upper frequencies are really artificial sounding like you'd expect from a BT headphone, fitting the stereotype. I wonder if it's my television's BT transmitter being outdated and just bad? I do like the sound on XM3 better.

I just needed the ANC, but SQ being bad, I don't know if it's worth keeping around.

Edit: The BT connection fidelity is quite bad, and improved with wired connection.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #242 of 634
Thank you. Please let us know. The reason i ask is XM3 falls to SBC when eq, yet YouTube reviewers didn’t observe this massive compromise. Sounded rubbish in SBC so I returned the XM3.
Haven't had a chance to today, but tomorrow i can definitely try it out. the fact that it does stay at least in LDAC and it isn't just 330 KBPS is encouraging. still, @Sony needs to put a bit more into the voicing of the next model. I haven't owned any of these models except the XM4, but i've demoed for a while, both the XM2 and the XM3. out of these 3, imo the XM3 is the sloppiest and worst sounding by default. in the next model i'd like to see better bass definition and speed. And better earpads as well. You may already know, but if you plan on using these in multipoint then AAC will be the default codec. no multipoint in LDAC. it's been mentioned here a few times that i've seen but thought i'd share in case you weren't aware or hadn't seen it yourself.

Oct 25, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #243 of 634
I recently got the Bose QC 35 I on sale for a good price with the recent crop of sales that was going on, but I can't help but notice the SQ is crap. The upper frequency articulation is just terrible! It has a really bad disjoint sounding highs with only certain frequencies making up the sound. Upper frequencies are really artificial sounding like you'd expect from a BT headphone, fitting the stereotype. I wonder if it's my television's BT transmitter being outdated and just bad? I do like the sound on XM3 better.

I just needed the ANC, but SQ being bad, I don't know if it's worth keeping around.

Edit: The BT connection fidelity is quite bad, and improved with wired connection.
Try wavelet and see if you can find a sound you like with them.

Oct 25, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #245 of 634
What's wavelet?
an eq app that has payed and free versions. Ymmv with some products, as they don't play well with wavelet and sometimes you get random buzzing noises on certain presets. But with the qc35 Wavelets bright setting really evens out the sound of the mids and bass and smooths them out is a better description. But also makes treble come alive. It also has a headphone detection setting so if you have multiple eqs for different headphones, True wireless iems etc, that can also come in handy. Also has specific tunings for quite a list of headphones.

Oct 26, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #246 of 634
Anyone experienced UAT Bluetooth? I think it is unique to SMSL Chinese brands which boasts less compression then LDAC. if it is competent technology then i hope it can be adopted by Sony and other brands.

Oct 26, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #247 of 634
Is there any point in upgrading to these from the XM3?

Oct 26, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #248 of 634
Is there any point in upgrading to these from the XM3?

Improved NC and the ability to switch sources on the fly were plenty for me. SQ is a bit better too.

Oct 26, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #249 of 634
Thank you. Please let us know. The reason i ask is XM3 falls to SBC when eq, yet YouTube reviewers didn’t observe this massive compromise. Sounded rubbish in SBC so I returned the XM3.
Unfortunately they are stuck on 660 KBPS . Only way they'll switch is if they are completely uneqed. Though i do like these a lot, not having owned any prev models, that annoys me. Especially since the Aonic 50 can switch with no problem. you know it switches because while listening to music and switching from 660 KBPS to 990, they briefly pause then resume music. Similar to when you switch a TWE from one codec it's compatible with to another.

Oct 28, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #251 of 634
is it possible to use the xm4 on 4.4mm cable? will it short circuit things?

Oct 30, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #252 of 634
Is anyone using these in a work from home setup? My trusty M-100s are getting pretty rough looking and starting to fall apart, so I am looking for some new headphones to replace them. I will use them for occasional travel when COVID restrictions ease, but I will probably be 25% music listening through my phone, 25% gaming, and 50% zoom/teams meetings from my computer until then. I was looking at the Bose 700s, but found these and got them on the big Amazon sale yesterday, just not sure if I they are the right next headphone.

Oct 30, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #253 of 634
Is anyone using these in a work from home setup? My trusty M-100s are getting pretty rough looking and starting to fall apart, so I am looking for some new headphones to replace them. I will use them for occasional travel when COVID restrictions ease, but I will probably be 25% music listening through my phone, 25% gaming, and 50% zoom/teams meetings from my computer until then. I was looking at the Bose 700s, but found these and got them on the big Amazon sale yesterday, just not sure if I they are the right next headphone.
well, for music and anc it's good, mic quality wise, intelligible but aint great, if using on laptops, most likely will be SBC or if lucky AAC, wont be great there either

Oct 30, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #254 of 634
I do, but you have to pick your battles. My ideal was to have the XM4's paired to my phone and my Mac at all times. Take Zoom / Teams calls on whichever device is most convenient and listen to music when not on calls.
The reality is there are serious software issues. When paired to two devices, incoming calls from certain apps on the mac (MS teams, Gotomeeting) causes the headphones to unpair from the mac. Incoming calls and apps on the phone work fine.
The mic is shocking through the computer, yet fine through the phone. If I take a teams / Zoom call on the computer, other attendees say my voice drops out a lot. Same apps on the phone are fine.

After wrestling with them for a few weeks, I've ditched the XM4s for working @ home on the computer and use a wired set of headphones and good quality desktop USB Mic, which works great but obviously ties me to the desk.
On the move, I switch to the XM4s and use my phone for all meeting apps where possible. I carry a pair of wired earbuds with mic if I need to present powerpoint / screenshares from the computer while travelling, I just can't rely on connectivity and voice reliability the XM4s to the computer.
(If I only pair the XM4s to the mac, the same issues with voice occur, but the incoming calls don't cause the phone to drop the BT connection)

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #255 of 634
I do, but you have to pick your battles. My ideal was to have the XM4's paired to my phone and my Mac at all times. Take Zoom / Teams calls on whichever device is most convenient and listen to music when not on calls.
The reality is there are serious software issues. When paired to two devices, incoming calls from certain apps on the mac (MS teams, Gotomeeting) causes the headphones to unpair from the mac. Incoming calls and apps on the phone work fine.
The mic is shocking through the computer, yet fine through the phone. If I take a teams / Zoom call on the computer, other attendees say my voice drops out a lot. Same apps on the phone are fine.

After wrestling with them for a few weeks, I've ditched the XM4s for working @ home on the computer and use a wired set of headphones and good quality desktop USB Mic, which works great but obviously ties me to the desk.
On the move, I switch to the XM4s and use my phone for all meeting apps where possible. I carry a pair of wired earbuds with mic if I need to present powerpoint / screenshares from the computer while travelling, I just can't rely on connectivity and voice reliability the XM4s to the computer.
(If I only pair the XM4s to the mac, the same issues with voice occur, but the incoming calls don't cause the phone to drop the BT connection)

Thanks - I am currently using a USB mic and wired IEMs or my M-100s and was looking to get a few things out of this:
1) ability to untether and walk around a little bit (sounds iffy at best with my computer)
2) improved comfort from my current IEMs for long days
3) replace my M-100s for gaming (sounds like this isn't going to happen)
4) have new travel headphones to replace my M-100s

Wondering if I will be better off looking at some of the gaming headphones that come with dedicated USB adapters to get around the bluetooth issues with Windows

Users who are viewing this thread

Back