Sony WH-1000XM4 discussion and reviews
Nov 3, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #271 of 634
These appeared at my doorstep today.
20201102_154733.jpg20201102_154657.jpg

After spending some time with them, I’m happy to add them to my growing collection, but can’t say I’m overly impressed.

Build wise, I think they’re fantastic. I like the soft coating on the matte earcups and the overall muted/understated aesthetics, which I think is perfect for travel use.

Comfort wise, not the best. Although the interior pad diameter is sufficient for an average ear, the heavily padded and weirdly shaped tilted driver housing touched my ears and created some hotspots after an extended use. I wish the pads were slightly thicker or a bit firmer. Of course YMMV.

As expected, and although sound out of the box was respectable, it was nothing to write home about. I think they’re more or less in line with other popular ANC options. However, after playing around with the limited in-app EQ, I was able to get them to sound closer to my liking, and much more natural sounding. I’m glad it doesn’t have the fake treble shimmer that I get with the QC35s. Bass on the other hand was bit sloppy, perhaps in an attempt to keep up with the quantity. I think the overall sound is respectable, considering its wireless ANC roots.

When ANC is on, there is a very pronounced low-level hum that is more present than on the QC35s. And when ANC was off, I thought the overall sound was considerably worse vice ANC on. The adaptive sound control was a bit frustrating/annoying too. When automatic switching (based on activity) is on, there is a loud beep whenever the status changes. And the ambient sound when turned-up was lackluster and didn’t sound natural at all. I also noticed a slight channel imbalance, perhaps due to the proximity sensor inside the left earcup. The motion control is bit glitchy as well. When I put my hand over the right ear cup for the quick attention mode, it would sometimes activate the voice to chat function instead, which was frustrating.

Overall, can’t say it’s a big step up from the Bose QC 35 or other competing ANCs for that matter. On the surface, they seem feature packed. Unfortunately, a lot of the advertised features on this HP feel more like a gimmick than useful functions.

And as always, YMMV.
What codec were you transmitting in - SBC, AAC or LDAC? This can make a big difference, certainly did with my previous Sony WH1000XM3.

Nov 3, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #272 of 634
What codec were you transmitting in - SBC, AAC or LDAC? This can make a big difference, certainly did with my previous Sony WH1000XM3.

I was using LDAC.

Nov 3, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #273 of 634

Not just the codec, it's the actual implementation that matters, something you can only know when doing some tests. The gist of it : I'd take a proper SBC implementation any day of the week over a poor APTX implementation. LDAC can be crappy as well : https://www.soundguys.com/ldac-ultimate-bluetooth-guide-20026/

One thing, for example, that I personally like to do is play single tones (for example from a website such as this one: https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/) at either very low (5-30hz) or very high (above 10 000-15 000hz) frequencies at very low volume and hear for distortion.

As an example, with several different sources, a Sennheiser Momentum 3 produced the same sort of faint audible distortion with either SBC, AAC or APTX when playing very high frequency tones. The worst of the bunch ? APTX, as in addition to this distortion it raised the noise floor. To be frank I've yet to try a single pair of BT headphones that pass this test without exhibiting audible distortion with one exception (AirPods Pro - Apple's implementation of AAC is basically the best we have for wireless audio so far).

Both the source and receiver need to perform up to par. So far it's the jungle out there.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #275 of 634
Has anyone tried the Shure aonic 50 to compare with the XM4?

Perhaps look at these for a start :
https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/graphtool/
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/graph#16490/4012/12049
ie fundamentally different sound signatures so I'd expect some rather polarised opinions.

Shure is a rather reputable brand

reputation =/= sound quality. Both graphs above suggest that both headphones are... well let's say perfectible.

Nov 4, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #276 of 634
Nov 5, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #277 of 634
Has anyone tried the Shure aonic 50 to compare with the XM4? Shure is a rather reputable brand and i would like to get some opinions.
I borrowed a set of XM3's for a couple of weeks from a friend, and listened to the XM4 in store on a number of occasions in addition to the SA50. I ended up going for the SA50, as the XM3 and XM4 both had really bloated bass, wheras the SA50 is much more balanced to my ears. I do love some bass though, and the SA50 does produce it well, just not in excess.

Nov 6, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #279 of 634
Not just the codec, it's the actual implementation that matters, something you can only know when doing some tests. The gist of it : I'd take a proper SBC implementation any day of the week over a poor APTX implementation. LDAC can be crappy as well : https://www.soundguys.com/ldac-ultimate-bluetooth-guide-20026/

One thing, for example, that I personally like to do is play single tones (for example from a website such as this one: https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/) at either very low (5-30hz) or very high (above 10 000-15 000hz) frequencies at very low volume and hear for distortion.

As an example, with several different sources, a Sennheiser Momentum 3 produced the same sort of faint audible distortion with either SBC, AAC or APTX when playing very high frequency tones. The worst of the bunch ? APTX, as in addition to this distortion it raised the noise floor. To be frank I've yet to try a single pair of BT headphones that pass this test without exhibiting audible distortion with one exception (AirPods Pro - Apple's implementation of AAC is basically the best we have for wireless audio so far).

Both the source and receiver need to perform up to par. So far it's the jungle out there.
How do we know Apple AirPod Pro AAC implementation is superior? Although I guess they make there own audio chipsets which certainly gives them advantage.

Nov 6, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #280 of 634
How do we know Apple AirPod Pro AAC implementation is superior? Although I guess they make there own audio chipsets which certainly gives them advantage.
LDAC doesn't automatically make it better. LDAC has different quality outputs and 990kbps is the highest, and needs to be set manually. Even with LDAC set, android will try to set to a bit-rate that keeps the connection stable, innwhich it will dynamically adjust to low bitrate. 990kbs is too unstable in certsin circumstance with interference aound.

In order to take advantage of LDAC, you need to fix the bitrate manually to 990kbps in developer settings.

There must be some issue when you switch devices (multipoint) that it doesn't retain LDAC. I would bet my money on that, when the connection switches to another device, the connecrion type is reset on the new device and cbosen by the headphone until user manually selects again. They just didn't impliment memorized setting for switching.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #281 of 634
I heard Sony further improved the WH1000X M3 in the recently launched 4th generation WH1000X M4.
My curiosity aroused, I borrowed one last month and took a listen.

Cosmetically, it seems the earpads have been changed. They cover the ears confortably. I read they tend to warm the ears after a long period of use, but didn't feel any disconfort myself.

The sound was spacious enough. The bass was what I call Sony thumpy, not hitting you agressively in the belly, but closer to a B&W thump thump short bass. The treble clear and soft. And what made me enthusiastic, is the nice seperation of the three frequency bands, bass, mid and hi that was achieved.

The M4 uses AI to analyze and optimise the music in real time and upscales it optimally. I was sceptical at the beginning, AI in music? But the sound quality was so enjoyable, I forgot about the AI.

Now, this is a headphone intended to be used with portable phones. There are a lot of nice features. Playback stops automatically when you take the earphones off. Music stops if you cover the right cup with your hand, to listen to your wife, for example. And I was pleased my daughter could hear me clearly through the built in mic when I called her. That was always a hassle with BT headphones.

Finally, the quick charging function blew my mind. A few hours of play with 10 minutes charging. That's handy when you're in a hurry.

Two days later, my son got me a WH1000X M3 from a friend. So I could try the earlier version M3.

Sound wise, this version has a nice deep low range with the usual Sony thumpy bass, just like the M4. The vocals are a treat, strong yet delicate.
It is roughly a similar sound to the new M4 version, the latter having introduced AI. But I prefer the sound seperation of the M4.

The main difference between the two versions seem to me in the voice clarity during calls. The M4 has been improved a lot with the person you're calling hearing you clearly.

I will definitely go for the M4, with better bass-mid-hi sound seperation and clearer voice call.

Now, I have to get my hands on a Bose QC.

Nov 6, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #282 of 634
I am looking for a BT headphones to connect to only one device which is Nvidia Shield TV PRO. i can set to LDAC in developer settings on the Nvidia Shield TV device. It supports LDAC at 990kbps vis developer settings.

i am deciding between:
Sony 10000XM4 = LDAC.
HIFIMAN DEVA = LDAC.
BOWERS & WILKINS = LDAC.

I appreciate any advice here.
After i pair the device to Shield I will delete pairing from my mobile device.

Nov 6, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #283 of 634
Judging by your superb range of headphones I probably take your sound impressions more seriously then those freebee youtube reviewers. Did you consider HIFIMAN Deva?

My only other consideration was Beoplay H95, which is lot more expensive compared to the XM4s. Beside the cheaper price, I ultimately went with the Sony because I feel it's better suited for extensive travel use (lighter, plastic build, appropriate carrying case, ANC, etc.) than the B&O. For home use and occasional travel, I would've went with the H95. But I don't really need wireless ANC for home use.

Soundwise, I think the XM4s are decent once you play around with the EQ a bit. I never expected these to replace my other cans as a daily driver, so my expectations are somewhat more realistic than some folks with high expectations. If you look at them for what they are, i.e. portable wireless ANC HPs, I think they're quite respectable, albeit with some software issues.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #284 of 634
My only other consideration was Beoplay H95, which is lot more expensive compared to the XM4s. Beside the cheaper price, I ultimately went with the Sony because I feel it's better suited for extensive travel use (lighter, plastic build, appropriate carrying case, ANC, etc.) than the B&O. For home use and occasional travel, I would've went with the H95. But I don't really need wireless ANC for home use.

Soundwise, I think the XM4s are decent once you play around with the EQ a bit. I never expected these to replace my other cans as a daily driver, so my expectations are somewhat more realistic than some folks with high expectations. If you look at them for what they are, i.e. portable wireless ANC HPs, I think they're quite respectable, albeit with some software issues.
Ok. I will also add H95 to my list if it is LDAC.
I already own Senn Moment 3, but they are limited to AptX LL. i am hoping LDAC Headphones will sound better from Nvidia Shield.

my main headphones are Focal Clear.

Nov 6, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #285 of 634
Ok. I will also add H95 to my list if it is LDAC.
I already own Senn Moment 3, but they are limited to AptX LL. i am hoping LDAC Headphones will sound better from Nvidia Shield.

my main headphones are Focal Clear.

I doubt you'll notice any meaningful difference in fidelity between the two codecs, especially if you're mostly streaming spotify, tidal, etc.. I would just choose whichever one sounds closer to your preference and better meet your needs in terms of features/function. And if you already own the Senn moment 3s, i wouldn't even consider buying another wireless anc unless you're just looking for something different. Doubt any thing else will be a significant improvement over what you already have. Don't buy into the hype. A lot of what you see and read out there are meaningless fluff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back