Sony WH-1000XM4 discussion and reviews
Nov 6, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #287 of 634
How do we know Apple AirPod Pro AAC implementation is superior? Although I guess they make there own audio chipsets which certainly gives them advantage.

For example (among others), just play single tones at somewhat low volume in the the 13 000 - 20 000hz range (for example with a website such as this one : https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/) and quickly drag the frequency slider across the very high frequency range. You may be able to hear other spurious tones in the background at other frequencies than the ones it's supposed to play.
So far most BT headphones I've tried failed this test... and it's not always a question of codec. For example the two copies of the Momentum 3 I tried did so either in SBC, AAC or APTX (APTX was worse than the others as it also audibly raised the noise floor). The Bose 700 I'm currently trying also does really weird things at very very low frequencies (3-10 hz) with a similar test :/.
My AirPods Pro are the only earbuds I've tried that passed this test with flying colours (but there may be others...).

Otherwise, this time on the emitters' end : https://www.soundguys.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-bluetooth-headphones-aac-20296/
Pretty huge difference between Apple's implementation of AAC and the others (and, provided Soundguys' tests use a sound methodology, shows that in some measurable ways properly implemented 256 kbps AAC can easily outperform even 660 kbps LDAC cf other link above).

So personally I've stopped bothering about SBC vs. AAC vs. APTX vs. LDAC vs. Whatever. It's the actual implementation that matters throughout the whole wireless chain (both emitter and receiver), not the acronym IMO :D.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #288 of 634
For example (among others), just play single tones at somewhat low volume in the the 13 000 - 20 000hz range (for example with a website such as this one : https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/) and quickly drag the frequency slider across the very high frequency range. You may be able to hear other spurious tones in the background at other frequencies than the ones it's supposed to play.
So far most BT headphones I've tried failed this test... and it's not always a question of codec. For example the two copies of the Momentum 3 I tried did so either in SBC, AAC or APTX (APTX was worse than the others as it also audibly raised the noise floor). The Bose 700 I'm currently trying also does really weird things at very very low frequencies (3-10 hz) with a similar test :/.
My AirPods Pro are the only earbuds I've tried that passed this test with flying colours (but there may be others...).

Otherwise, this time on the emitters' end : https://www.soundguys.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-bluetooth-headphones-aac-20296/
Pretty huge difference between Apple's implementation of AAC and the others (and, provided Soundguys' tests use a sound methodology, shows that in some measurable ways properly implemented 256 kbps AAC can easily outperform even 660 kbps LDAC cf other link above).

So personally I've stopped bothering about SBC vs. AAC vs. APTX vs. LDAC vs. Whatever. It's the actual implementation that matters throughout the whole wireless chain (both emitter and receiver), not the acronym IMO :D.
Thank you. Nice explanation.

Nov 6, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #289 of 634
Guys, I recommend using USB Audio Player Pro when streaming music files or Tidal via BT. It makes a difference.

I used to use UAPP to bypass Android restrictions and for 'bit-perfect' output from phone to the DAC, but not sure how this would help with transmission via BT? with the DSP on the headphone? Plus, using TIDAL UI on UAPP is not the most ideal. I would just use mobile TIDAL app straight to XM4 and skip the UAPP. But that's just me.

Nov 6, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #290 of 634
i wonder when will there be alternatives to the earpads, still cant find any

Nov 6, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #291 of 634
i wonder when will there be alternatives to the earpads, still cant find any

According to Dekoni's website,

"We’re in the process of developing new pads specifically for the Xm4, so be sure to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest news and announcements!"

so hopefully soon. I'm looking forward to these as well. The stock pads are too soft IMO.

Nov 6, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #292 of 634
According to Dekoni's website,

"We’re in the process of developing new pads specifically for the Xm4, so be sure to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest news and announcements!"

so hopefully soon. I'm looking forward to these as well. The stock pads are too soft IMO.
i want velour🤣
hope they make it, or the hybrid

Nov 6, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #293 of 634
i want velour🤣
hope they make it, or the hybrid

XM3 pads were quite expensive (considering the HP price) so I'm guessing these won't be cheap either. I'll take whatever set that doesn't change the sound too much while increasing comfort.

Nov 7, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #294 of 634
My only other consideration was Beoplay H95, which is lot more expensive compared to the XM4s. Beside the cheaper price, I ultimately went with the Sony because I feel it's better suited for extensive travel use (lighter, plastic build, appropriate carrying case, ANC, etc.) than the B&O. For home use and occasional travel, I would've went with the H95. But I don't really need wireless ANC for home use.

Soundwise, I think the XM4s are decent once you play around with the EQ a bit. I never expected these to replace my other cans as a daily driver, so my expectations are somewhat more realistic than some folks with high expectations. If you look at them for what they are, i.e. portable wireless ANC HPs, I think they're quite respectable, albeit with some software issues.
I'm considering the XM4 for Christmas. I'll keep the equalizer in mind, though usually avoid biaising the sound, usually.

Nov 7, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #297 of 634
Can we expect any discount for Black Friday on XM4? Any guess or estimate on percentage reduction if any?

It's already at a discount for $278?

Nov 7, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #298 of 634
I used to use UAPP to bypass Android restrictions and for 'bit-perfect' output from phone to the DAC, but not sure how this would help with transmission via BT? with the DSP on the headphone? Plus, using TIDAL UI on UAPP is not the most ideal. I would just use mobile TIDAL app straight to XM4 and skip the UAPP. But that's just me.
I was thinking on the ssme lines, but notice improvements from actually using UAPP. Android app goes through the OS mixer, and UAPP doesn't, and although BT is limited compared to wired, I think UAPP is still better than the android app that uses android mixer. In addition UAPP has a BT setting for improving the stream, whuch goes to show BT can be improved with software, outside the codec.

Also, UAPP has inapp purchase called Tonebooster, which is a really precise EQ. You can tame the bass with it, if desired.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back