Sony WH-1000XM4 discussion and reviews
Oct 3, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #211 of 634
I just got a pair of these to replace my bose. I think the sound quality is great and the technology is amazing.

Is this the future of headphones? With all of the sound processing, could we have one pair of headphones and select fun, critical, planar, dynamic, etc?

This seems like a crazy amount of tech for $350.

DPS effects has been for a long time in headphones already. That is why they offer these ANC headphone for very little money as they put in a bad driver and then try to compensate it with DSP.

And no, this is not the future of headphones because the sound quality is bad. If you want to use DSP effects, better use professional quality effects. I would be quite disappointed if all headphones in the future will be covered with all kinds of bad DSP effects that I do not want (as I want to use my own plugins).

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #212 of 634
seems like not a lot of xm4 owners around heh

Oct 13, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #213 of 634
I have the xm4. It’s my favorite ANC headphone. The sound is fine. To me it sounds a lot like the mdr a1 m2 which is my “good enough” headphone. Quite comfortable. Not fatiguing. Full range of sound. Not highly detailed. Highs aren’t harsh. Lows don’t step too hard on the mids. I would not want them as my only headphone. I use them for walking my dogs and would use them on a plane if it is ever safe to fly again.

Oct 14, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #215 of 634
I have the xm4. It’s my favorite ANC headphone. The sound is fine. To me it sounds a lot like the mdr a1 m2 which is my “good enough” headphone. Quite comfortable. Not fatiguing. Full range of sound. Not highly detailed. Highs aren’t harsh. Lows don’t step too hard on the mids. I would not want them as my only headphone. I use them for walking my dogs and would use them on a plane if it is ever safe to fly again.

These are my dog walking headphones as well. I was using a pair of Beats Studio 3.0's to walk the dogs but I only listened to podcasts on them as they just did not cut it for music. The XM4's on the other hand sound great with music in the situations I use them in.

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #216 of 634
I just got my XM 4 in today via the prime day sale. Also, i noticed looking at my receipt that Amazon still threw in a $25 gift card with the code for it to be redeemed, but also knocked another $25 off the already discounted $298.00. Not how i understood the promo to work, but i'm alright with it. Do i keep them? Honestly i don't know. I have a really steller lineup as is. I definitely don't need them. I am surprised at the sound i have eqed without even taking a long time to really find a nice sound with them. But the eq doesn't look like it would provide help with the areas i'd adjust. IDK they were great just walking around earlier, ambiant mode is nothing to write home about, right up there with my OG MTW. okay a little better, but honestly not much. That i was surprised by. my PX7 and Momentum 3 have better sounding ambiant mode. maybe i can adjust it though but didn't see an option to in the app. The pads look like they'll wear out super quick, I like the matte feel of them, they have better bass by default than the XM3 from what i remember, meaning tighter and better texture. Oh and, the soundstage is not to shabby either. Those are my first impressions.

Oct 15, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #217 of 634
I just got my XM 4 in today via the prime day sale. Also, i noticed looking at my receipt that Amazon still threw in a $25 gift card with the code for it to be redeemed, but also knocked another $25 off the already discounted $298.00. Not how i understood the promo to work, but i'm alright with it. Do i keep them? Honestly i don't know. I have a really steller lineup as is. I definitely don't need them. I am surprised at the sound i have eqed without even taking a long time to really find a nice sound with them. But the eq doesn't look like it would provide help with the areas i'd adjust. IDK they were great just walking around earlier, ambiant mode is nothing to write home about, right up there with my OG MTW. okay a little better, but honestly not much. That i was surprised by. my PX7 and Momentum 3 have better sounding ambiant mode. maybe i can adjust it though but didn't see an option to in the app. The pads look like they'll wear out super quick, I like the matte feel of them, they have better bass by default than the XM3 from what i remember, meaning tighter and better texture. Oh and, the soundstage is not to shabby either. Those are my first impressions.

Try Wavelet app and see if that helps.
In my opinion, it does for me.

Oct 15, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #218 of 634
would really love to see a wavelet diagram

testing wf-1000xm3 anc preset

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #220 of 634
There's a preset for the WH-1000XM4 which works for me.
mine doesn't have for xm4

tried another search clause and it pops up, dont know why i didnt see it before this

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #222 of 634
Same thing happened to me when I first searched for it.
Let us know what you think...
i like it, I'm leaving my ciem, hd650, lcd-2c, galaxy buds plus and blon 03 behind

way too convenient to have a "do it all" piece that is light

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #223 of 634
i'll give that a shot. wavelet is solid. It brought new life to my QC35 and a cheap pair of TWE's.

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #224 of 634
I just want my ears not touching the inside of the headphone. I am willing to bet Sony won't fix their shallow pads with the XM5 even.

So probably I might go for the new Apple headphone as an upgrade to the XM3 and NC700 if it is really good.
Jut out of curiosity, what issue would touching the inside cause? For me if it causes pain over long period, it's an issue, but I haven't experienced that with XM3/4. I have however experienced it with a different headphone, and it can get painful after a period.

Oct 16, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #225 of 634
I just got mine from the Prime sale. They're pretty terrible. The sound is boomy and muddy. Treble sounds off.
My Audeze Mobius sounded MUCH better.
Also my sound went away when trying to change windows on my computer and I can't get it back.
I'm returning them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back