Sony WH-1000XM4 discussion and reviews
Sep 19, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #196 of 634
Having owned the XM3 since their release, yes even suffering the toupad issues in cold weather, I still think they sound fantastic and the bass quality can be improved greatly by equalizing the bass bloat down. I use the built in FIR eq in Onkyo HF Player and the XM3 responded fantastically and the sound really cleaned up. I imagine the XM4 would do the same. Based on what I am reading I am not sure there is a real case to move to the XM4 for me. My XM3 are pristine as I rarely get to use them so the hours are low and I have never worn them if I am perspiring so in effect I don't wear them in the warm weather keeping the pads perfect. I will say that for people who are less into the noise cancelling and want closer to a neutral sound while still being engaging you should if you can audition the KEF Space One Wireless. The KEF is why I may actually end up selling the XM3. The XM3 is richer and more fun sounding with a really nice big, round sound, but for me the KEF is more accurate and tuned more for critical listening. Sorry, XM4 thread I know.

Sep 20, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #197 of 634
I think the issue is getting quality bass with audiphile can is much more expensive. The bass on cans like XM4 is pretty bad compared to some of the audiophile headphones with greater bass quantity.

I agree with you that majority of people want practicality and pricing. ANC is very practical and these headphones are priced as 'high-end' for majority of the population. Majority would't have reference of qualitatice differences to really know.

I went with the likes of Senn's usual suspects.

Any guidance on decent bass audiophile headphones? Lower and higher price.

Sep 20, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #198 of 634
I went with the likes of Senn's usual suspects.

Any guidance on decent bass audiophile headphones? Lower and higher price.
Cheapest? AKG K371. Another value in bass would be Beyer DT770. And the last one is Meze Classics (you can find the cheaper version on Drop). Beyers tend to have significant bass compared to obviously Senneheisers, and I think it's because they tend to more closed than open, whereas Sennheisers are open. Sennheisers have good bass if driven well, but lacks sub-bass. Quality is better than the mainstream cans, but it just lacks the quantity part. Best way to get bass on Sennheiser HD600, 650, or 6xx is to drive it out of Bottle Head Crack.

I'd add Fostex Ebony if you can get one used. Good fun bass, particularly the subs.

Next catagories would be planars. Planars range in pricing, and interestingly Hifimans have both the value and ridiculous priced segment covered. I'd say the values are Hifiman classic like HE500 if you can get a hand a used one. Hifiman's newer stuff and not the quantity bass types or hard hitting, but more linear with sub-bass present. Audeze would be the planars with harder hitting bass, but they tend to be on the pricier side. Personally, I don't like Audeze upper frequencies, and their QC of tuning is not reliable, so they may not be consistent in the tuning. DCA is expensive as well, same for HEDDphone, although you do get quality bass. I don't think multiple grand territory is really worth the price tag, and it is indeed at the point of diminishing returns.

For real fun bass that isn't poor quality I'd say D9200, although on the expensive side.

Based on my experience these companies refrain from providing quality bass in high quantity for a realistic price.

People tend to get bored of sound, and you learn real quick that buying multi-grand priced headphone gets expensive if you keep swapping them.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #199 of 634
You can indeed set it to 990kbps, but as you pointed out, it has to be in ideal conditions, with the right gear, which is what I'm saying -- for most people, in real-world conditions, you wont get what LDAC promises. Adding to that, the sound degradation from the electronics and noise cancelling make it fairly irrelevant anyway.
Big leaps made forward on preventing sound degradation with ANC on in 2020. Use to be case.

Sep 24, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #200 of 634
Listen to this video through headphones. The XM4 sound much worse compared to XM3 in this video test. Maybe something wrong with the Binaural Set Up. Shocking. Almost every comment people agree the XM3 sounds better.

I listened via my Focal Clear.
Quite disappointed as was going to buy the XM4.

Sep 24, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #201 of 634
Hello, new to the forum and been looking for one like this for quite some time to ask such questions :slight_smile:

I've been using a pair of AKG K550 for several years. My usage is 80% listening to various genres of (mostly electronic) music and 20% electronic music production. Two things I can't get with the K550 is wireless capability for everyday usage (as years have gone by I listen to many more wireless capable sources like my smartphone, TV etc than 10 years ago) and strong noise cancellation for when I travel. Hence I am considering a switch to a wireless, NC-capable pair but I don't want to lose (much) on musical fidelity.

I have read the XM3 and XM4 reviews but frankly I have no idea what to expect in terms of sound-stage and overall character especially compared to the K550. What Hi-Fi as well as other reviewers seems to rate them pretty high in sound quality but on what reference? A budget/mid-range over the ear or more studio-phile pairs like the K550? Sometimes it's all too relevant...

So if anyone could help me understand where does the XM3/4 sound sits against a well-known pair like the K550 I'd much appreciate it! Thanks!

Sep 25, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #202 of 634
Listen to this video through headphones. The XM4 sound much worse compared to XM3 in this video test. Maybe something wrong with the Binaural Set Up.

Don't ever use these comparisons to make a judgment in the absolute. The test rig may simply not correspond to reality. Use them only for relative assessments at best (ie it sounds brighter in that area of the frequency spectrum, there is less bass, blabla).

Sep 26, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #203 of 634
I didn't see any mention that rtings.com released their review of the XM4 earlier this month. When comparing with the XM3 it seems that bass accuracy is even worse than it used to be. A step in the wrong direction, though probably something that can be mitigated to some degree with EQ.

I still plan to buy the XM4 if headband cracking is finally solved, but it's too early to tell at this stage. I held off buying the previous two generations because of this issue, after suffering from it with the first gen and reading many reports online that shows it still existed with the later models.

Sep 26, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #204 of 634
I just want my ears not touching the inside of the headphone. I am willing to bet Sony won't fix their shallow pads with the XM5 even.

So probably I might go for the new Apple headphone as an upgrade to the XM3 and NC700 if it is really good.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #207 of 634
Hey Guys

Got the Xm4 a week or two .. yesterday the started to persistently have a mechanical click or clunk sound when I agitate the left earcup, like turning my head or walking ... same if hps are turned on or off .... I have time to return these as it is really annoying. Seems to be worse when I have them tighter on my head. Anyone else experience this with these or with previous models?

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #208 of 634
I reckon most of what everyone is experiencing is the new foam or whatever it is (that's protective of the grill) our ears are rubbing against. Mine stopped after a few consecutive uses. No other issues like rattling, white noise, and such here.

Oct 3, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #210 of 634
I just got a pair of these to replace my bose. I think the sound quality is great and the technology is amazing.

Is this the future of headphones? With all of the sound processing, could we have one pair of headphones and select fun, critical, planar, dynamic, etc?

This seems like a crazy amount of tech for $350.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back