Sony WH-1000XM4 discussion and reviews
Aug 21, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #107 of 634
Ha. If “moisture buildup” was the cause of issues with the previous models, every single unit in use in Japan in the summertime would be DOA in a week.

Look at the comments. Already full of guys with this issue both on reddit and sony official forums. I read at least 4 or 5 examples. On both the XM3s that I returned, it came out after couple of hours of playback. It is clearly connected to something cheaply built deteriorating inside. Also, be mindful that this only appears with ANC on, so most guys will not notice it if they don't have ANC on.

I have always not been 100% sure about this XMx build quality. and XM4 seem not be any different.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #108 of 634
I think this post maybe isn't good here because I see the majority of people owning xm3 before and liking the sound very much. I have xm3 but only for travels NOT because of the sound because I think the sound isn't good really. I only keeping the xm3 because the anc is the best.

I owning many (anc) wireless headphones and earphones (maybe about 20) and I see one review in youtube and they playing music samples from xm3 and xm4. The xm4 in that video is sounding better. BUT here I have the 2 pairs and yes, the xm4 is sounding only very little better than xm3 but not like in the video better. I still thinking xm4 isn't sound good.

Of the many (anc) headphones I trying in the past the best sound for me is the shure aonic 50 (sa50). After is the b&w p7 wireless (but this isn't anc), then the sennheiser momentum 3 (I never liking momentum 1 or 2). Right now I having in my possession xm3, xm4, momentum 3 and (after more than 3,5 years) the excellent p7 wireless.

I buying the xm4 because in the video the sound is better than xm3 and is having multipoint connection. In reality is only LITTLE better in sound, still very veiled sound with problems in mids and treble and boosted lows, but isn't so boomy like xm3.

Very recently I selling my favourite in sound (sa50) because my ears getting hot and sweating very easy after little time with temperature of 26 celsius or more. Other problem is the sa50 isn't practical for travels, you can't folding it and the shure case is extremely big

I buying the momentum 3 again (the second time) because is having leather ear pads (like my p7 wireless) and now in the app is having better eq (only 3 bands but is better than terrible eq of before). I can using the eq in the app and having similar sound than sa50 and sometimes better because momentum 3 is sounding more close like speakers sometimes. The eq setting too are saving in the headphone like the xm3 and xm4 and this is problem with sa50 eq (you can only using eq if you're using the app in portable device) but the sa50 sound is so good I don't wanting eq 90-95% of times.

So now I have big negative surprise with xm4. I don't know why but is uncomfortable after 20 minutes more or less. No problem with clamping or headband, but I feeling the ear cups very much after this time, they are feeling very strong touching my ears. Is strange because the earcups are very little bigger than xm3 and earpads little bigger too. I don't having this problem with xm3 before. Is interesting because momentum 3 is more heavy (a lot better construction quality) but not only my ears isn't getting hot, but I having no comfort problems at all after hours using this headphone.

I think probably I returning xm4 very soon and keeping xm3 only for travels and momentum 3 for better sound, more comfort and anc that isn't aggressive in my ears (in my house) with more natural ambient mode (I using this a lot too).

I want mentioning that the touch buttons in the xm4 isn't so responsive like xm3. With xm3 I having never problems with volume up/down or next/previous tracks. With xm4 many times I having to doing the action again because isn't responding with 'normal' touch. I needing strong action. This is strange that isn't so good like before.

I don't testing very much anc, but quick testing I hear they are similar, maybe little better in xm4 but isn't better for buying only for this reason.

My BIG problem with momentum 3 is that with iPhone you only having 14 volume steps from low to high and often is jumping 2 steps or 3. This is terrible specially for recordings and masters from 1990 until today (loudness wars). With xm3, xm4, bose and bowers & willings you having much more volume steps. With xm3 and xm4 you having 31 steps that is perfect for me because I changing volume very constantly with very different masters/recordings. I really hoping sennheiser solving this problem with firmware but sennheiser is taking 2 years for changing the eq after many, many, many negative comments from everybody, and the eq is only 3 bands today and not perfect, but definitely lot better than before.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #109 of 634
Hey guys, quick question. For those of you that have these, can you comment on sound quality with ANC off? I was thinking of grabbing these as a nice set of bluetooth travel cans, however ANC usually gives me headaches so I was thinking of just having ANC off the entire time. I've heard something about there being an amp in the headphones that are only turned on when ANC is on, which changes the sound quite a bit? Is any of this true or have I heard wrong? Thinking of these or the Drop Pandas, but these might be a safer bet since there are many reviews out. Thanks

Aug 21, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #112 of 634
These are probably the best sounding Harman similar headphones, go senny momentum 3 if you like balanced, but anc and the app will suck.

Also the headphone sounds really bad without power

I plan to use them wireless, is that considered "powered"? Or by powered do you mean with ANC? I guess I could set the ANC to the lowest possible and then maybe it wouldn't give me headaches

Aug 22, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #113 of 634
As I mentioned, my second one isn't experiencing any issues.
I've been working them out too... continuous listening for over 6 hrs.
My WH-1000XM3 didn't have any issues either...had them for almost two weeks.
Got my replacement pair and fingers crossed. After 2 hours, we're still good. Moisture theory interesting, but it's odd that would only occur on one side.

Aug 22, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #116 of 634
I'm having my xm3 for sale here in head-fi 3 days ago but I stopping selling 5 minutes ago because I will returning xm4.

I testing again the sound. This time I making sure everything is having same settings (anc on or off, dsee on or off and eq off always). The sound is more similar than my test before, so I think maybe I having anc on in one headphone and anc off in other, or dsee on in one and off in other.

The distance before the bt signal is breaking is better with xm3 too. And this is strange but xm3 is little more comfortable for my ears and the touch buttons responding correctly 100% of times.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #117 of 634
This is eq setting I have now in xm3 that is close in sound with momentum 3 factory sound:

xm3_eq_m3.PNG

Aug 23, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #120 of 634
Ha. If “moisture buildup” was the cause of issues with the previous models, every single unit in use in Japan in the summertime would be DOA in a week.

I also don't buy it as I bought the M3 when my house was having mitigation from water damage: lots of fans and heavy duty dehumidifiers raising my house temps to over 90 degrees (with AC going constantly). The deafening noises were easily grating, and I couldn't watch movies or anything during the evening. I immediately drove to Best Buy to demo Sony or Bose, and sided with the M3s. My first week with them were totally drenched in sweat and they haven't missed a beat. I have tried different presets on the app, but most my needs with blue tooth headphones are having a graphic EQ and I'm happy. I found the Sonys to be comfortable and effective with noise canceling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back