Sony WH-1000XM4 discussion and reviews
Aug 19, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #76 of 634
I'm testing out EQ settings and would like to see what others are using.
My experiment setting is follows using both Wavelet app set to WH-1000XM3 Auto EQ setting and tweaked Brightness on Sony Headphone Connect app.
Streaming Tidal Master audio in LDAC Codec..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200819-191026.png
    Screenshot_20200819-191026.png
    475.1 KB · Views: 0
Aug 19, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #77 of 634
Into my 4th hour listening with these and they really do represent a good SQ and ANC improvement over my XM2’s. The extra space in the earcup and the smoother ANC are quite notable. The ability to connect to two devices simultaneously is also very welcome. Excellent for their design intent.

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #78 of 634
Ran into an issue 2 hours while listening to Master audio tracks on Tidal via my Xperia 1II.
Volume was only 35% and artist was Norah Jones, so nothing drastic playing.
Issue was the right side started to produce continues static.
Turned off headphones and restarted, but static continued.
Tried unpairing and repairing, no change.
Decided that I received a lemon...

Contacted Best Buy via chat and ended up with 2 separate representatives trying to see if I can return and exchange the headphones at a local Best Buy store.
Based on their website, 2 out 4 Best Buy stores within a 20 mile range had only one pair each available in stock.
I was advised by the representative(s) that they have no way of contacting the stores directly to confirm availability and I had to call myself.
I called both stores numerous times, but unfortunately...no one answered.

I decided to bite the bullet and place an order online...
Lucky for me, it processed through and now I'm again testing the replacement pair and now 2 hours has past with no issues so far.

What a frustrating event.

I hope that no other issues appear.

Aug 20, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #80 of 634
Issue was the right side started to produce continues static.
Turned off headphones and restarted, but static continued.
Tried unpairing and repairing, no change.
DUDE! I was literally going to post this, but you beat me to it. I ended up returning it last night, as I was experiencing the EXACT same thing from the Right speaker as well. It was a very noticeable white noise/loud ANC effect from the Right side that I was not able to get rid of doing much of the same as you did. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the early builds or if it's some type of firmware issue. One thing that I found interesting, is the sensor to pause when removing the headphones is only on one side, so perhaps it has something to do with the different internal cup shape and how the ANC responds to each.

Aug 20, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #81 of 634
DUDE! I was literally going to post this, but you beat me to it. I ended up returning it last night, as I was experiencing the EXACT same thing from the Right speaker as well. It was a very noticeable white noise/loud ANC effect from the Right side that I was not able to get rid of doing much of the same as you did. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the early builds or if it's some type of firmware issue. One thing that I found interesting, is the sensor to pause when removing the headphones is only on one side, so perhaps it has something to do with the different internal cup shape and how the ANC responds to each.

Wow!
I guess it might turn out to be a widespread issue and hope that it is effecting only a minimum of units...maybe only US supply has this issue?
This is the first that I've heard of the problem and this has never been mentioned from any reviewers. I've done a lot of research on these headphones too.
I can say that so far my 2nd set of the XM4 are working perfect and no issues to speak of.
Fingers are crossed!

If it does appear, I'll definitely mentioned this to Sony.

*I would like to say that I find the newer matte texture is a positive experience regarding the touch controls on the ear pad...a bit more friction helps.
I've been enjoying the "Speak-to-Chat" feature. Just wished it was variable adjustment to the restart time...less than 15sec would be better.
The Auto Pause feature when removing the headphones is another plus!
An enjoyable improvement to the XM3.

Aug 20, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #83 of 634
What firmware revision are you running, which codec, and what is the source?

Mine's Version 2.0.6
It was automatically updated when initially turned on.

My primarily source is Tidal HiFi via Sony Xperia 1 II smartphone.
Master (MQA/FLAC) and HiFi (16bit/44khz CD quality) audio streaming.
I also use UAPP/Tidal and Spotify Premium...plus my own Hi-Res 24bit/96khz or 192khz audio tracks from the expandable SD card.

Aug 20, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #84 of 634
Mine's Version 2.0.6
It was automatically updated when initially turned on.
Maybe it's a problem with the new firmware.

Aug 20, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #88 of 634
Mine have been fine as well, but I’m using AAC with an iPhone 11 Pro and an iPad Pro. 10 hours in and no problems at all. Also, the range is really good.

Glad to hear that.

I haven't tested the XM4 with my iPad Pro yet...

I find the connection isn't as strong as my WF-1000XM3.
I can go anywhere in my house with the WF-1000XM3 including upstairs and the signal will be perfectly clear, but with the XM4 it starts to skip/hiccup a bit upstairs but doesn't disconnect.
The 5.0 BT range is definitely better than the 4.2 on the WH-1000XM3.
Granted this is using LDAC codec which is higher bit level than AAC and the range will be reduced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back