Sony WF-1000XM5
Nov 25, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #886 of 1,029
I had a problem with the previous model 1000xm4 with battery drains so I brought them to the service just 1 week before the 2 year warranty ended . The called me back and gave me a refund. So I bought the xm5 with the refund plus 70 euros . From the 3 different true wireless I have ) Bose QC ,xm4 and Sennheiser tws 3 my top one in terms of sound are the senns. But boy do the new xm5 sound good .
Almost as good as the senns . I use them with my iphone 14 pro and my dap ibasso DX 170 . The only thing that bugs me is that when I play music from my dap with ldac I hear cracks like signal losses when they are connected at the same time with my phone and at the same time I play with my phone (browsing .Facebook etc . If I take the dap a little far away from my phone everything is ok
Is that normal ?

Nov 25, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #887 of 1,029
I had a problem with the previous model 1000xm4 with battery drains so I brought them to the service just 1 week before the 2 year warranty ended . The called me back and gave me a refund. So I bought the xm5 with the refund plus 70 euros . From the 3 different true wireless I have ) Bose QC ,xm4 and Sennheiser tws 3 my top one in terms of sound are the senns. But boy do the new xm5 sound good .
Almost as good as the senns . I use them with my iphone 14 pro and my dap ibasso DX 170 . The only thing that bugs me is that when I play music from my dap with ldac I hear cracks like signal losses when they are connected at the same time with my phone and at the same time I play with my phone (browsing .Facebook etc . If I take the dap a little far away from my phone everything is ok
Is that normal ?
Yep, some DAP's & DAC/Amps often seem to not be shielded enough for the noise that comes out of mobile phones when close together, was terrible when I had a 1st gen Mojo.

Nov 28, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #888 of 1,029
From the 3 different true wireless I have ) Bose QC ,xm4 and Sennheiser tws 3 my top one in terms of sound are the senns. But boy do the new xm5 sound good .
My Sennheiser TW3 got run over by a car (don't ask...) so I'm currently debating if I should get them again or go for the XM5. Seems quite a few people like the Sennies just as much and the XM5 are still 50 euros more, so seems sensible to go with the cheaper one. Still, I never loved the soundstage of my old pair and oddly enough, they had the occasional sibilance despite overall having fairly recessed/relaxed highs. Rarely an issue in music, but I listen to quite a few podcasts too.

Plus, tech websites seem to universally crown the Sony as the winner between the two. That seems as much echo-chamber and marketing as actual knowledge to me though. Any chance you could write up a comparison between the two?

Nov 30, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #890 of 1,029
My Sennheiser TW3 got run over by a car (don't ask...) so I'm currently debating if I should get them again or go for the XM5. Seems quite a few people like the Sennies just as much and the XM5 are still 50 euros more, so seems sensible to go with the cheaper one. Still, I never loved the soundstage of my old pair and oddly enough, they had the occasional sibilance despite overall having fairly recessed/relaxed highs. Rarely an issue in music, but I listen to quite a few podcasts too.

Plus, tech websites seem to universally crown the Sony as the winner between the two. That seems as much echo-chamber and marketing as actual knowledge to me though. Any chance you could write up a comparison between the two?
There is a good video on this. .

Now, I loved the Sennhesiers and used them for 2 years I lost mine and I repurchased them when the Sony's came out. I thought I would love them over the Sony's (which I also bought) but I could not get the sound to sound like they did on the old pair. So I tried them both for a few weeks and the Sony's won. I also tested the Technics eah-az80. I ended up keeping both the Sony's and the Technics becasue I could not decide.

There is great write-up on comparing the sounds of both here. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/technics-eah-az80-true-wireless-earbuds.968244/post-17806750

Dec 1, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #891 of 1,029
I would like to tell you about an update regarding my xm5. I finally sold them. I was convinced solely by the difficulty of finding a perfect fit, given that the original rubber tips are not at all suitable for my ears. I have tried an endless series of silicone rubbers, even spending quite a bit, and none of them have fully satisfied me. I ended up buying the Technics az80 and haven't regretted it. Their fit is perfect and the sound quality is still remarkable. Sure they don't have as much fun bass as the Sonys, but the overall audio quality is probably even superior.

Dec 3, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #892 of 1,029
There is a good video on this. .

Now, I loved the Sennhesiers and used them for 2 years I lost mine and I repurchased them when the Sony's came out. I thought I would love them over the Sony's (which I also bought) but I could not get the sound to sound like they did on the old pair. So I tried them both for a few weeks and the Sony's won. I also tested the Technics eah-az80. I ended up keeping both the Sony's and the Technics becasue I could not decide.

There is great write-up on comparing the sounds of both here. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/technics-eah-az80-true-wireless-earbuds.968244/post-17806750

Thanks! Yeah I'd seen that video. It's one of the better ones. Seems the general consensus is that they are closely matched, with the Sennies having a darker, slightly less detailed but musical sound and slightly worse ANC. I found ANC to be pretty good already and a bit of extra bass is somewhat helpful when out and about, so doesn't sway me much.

Price-wise, the Sennheisers just went on sale so it's 175 Sen TW3 -> 250 Sony XM5 -> 300 Technics AZ80. If they're broadly in the same league and my soudstage frustrations also aren't solved with the two more expensive options, I think I'll save myself the money.

Fingers crossed I don't find the same thing you did though, with my second pair being worse.

Dec 3, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #893 of 1,029
As an owner of the XM4, I don’t think I will buy the XM5 and I will only upgrade to products that are either better integrated with the Apple iPhone or earbuds that are better for running and exercising. I can’t run with the XM4 as i hear a thump for every step… roughly 180 times per minute! I also didn’t like the foam tips, which I replaced with SpinFit silicone tips.

So, even though the sound signature seems better on the newer model, I will need to prioritise fit and sport suitability with my next purchase. At the end of the day, I mainly use true wireless for exercising.

Dec 3, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #894 of 1,029
As an owner of the XM4, I don’t think I will buy the XM5 and I will only upgrade to products that are either better integrated with the Apple iPhone or earbuds that are better for running and exercising. I can’t run with the XM4 as i hear a thump for every step… roughly 180 times per minute! I also didn’t like the foam tips, which I replaced with SpinFit silicone tips.

So, even though the sound signature seems better on the newer model, I will need to prioritise fit and sport suitability with my next purchase. At the end of the day, I mainly use true wireless for exercising.
The thump has nothing to do with the XM4 but comes because you have perfect seal and will be there with any fully sealing iem

Dec 3, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #895 of 1,029
The thump has nothing to do with the XM4 but comes because you have perfect seal and will be there with any fully sealing iem
No, it's the ANC. Turning it off eliminates the thump. Only way I could exercise with them.

Dec 3, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #896 of 1,029
No, it's the ANC. Turning it off eliminates the thump. Only way I could exercise with them.
I tried with ANC on and off, but it doesn't make a big difference. ANC on eliminates the thump while walking but not during a run.
I think the tips also make a difference. I'm using SpinFit, which are quite more flexible than the stock foam tips. Perhaps I should try the stock tips for running.

Dec 3, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #897 of 1,029
I am aware of that, unfortunately. That's why my preference for running has been for other IEMs, such as Bose, because they don't completely seal the ear canal.
Still, earbuds with a good seal and a hook don't annoy me as much as the Sonys.

Dec 4, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #898 of 1,029
I tried with ANC on and off, but it doesn't make a big difference. ANC on eliminates the thump while walking but not during a run.
I think the tips also make a difference. I'm using SpinFit, which are quite more flexible than the stock foam tips. Perhaps I should try the stock tips for running.
That's interesting. I had the same problem when running (or any exercise really). Turning ANC off solved the thumping for me (stock tips) 🤷

Dec 7, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #899 of 1,029
Anyone know where I can buy spare replica foam eartips for the XM5? Found a pair on ebay, but the seller is unable to confirm whether they come with wax guard fitted.

Dec 7, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #900 of 1,029
Anyone know where I can buy spare replica foam eartips for the XM5? Found a pair on ebay, but the seller is unable to confirm whether they come with wax guard fitted.

You'll have to contact sony for original ones, as I don't see them available on their spare parts site. Or maybe another member will sell their spares.

Here's a couple aftermarket I saved on amazon.

Tennmak https://a.co/d/5St5oCa

Ear Tips with Dust Mesh for Sony WF-1000XM5 S M L https://a.co/d/5nrwcnT

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back