Sony WF-1000XM5
Aug 20, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #407 of 1,029
FYI....there is a FR up on Rollo's Squig.link

I saw it, and such frequency response chart confirms Sony tuned the WF-1000XM5 as a kind of a soft Harman 2019v2 target.. which is supposed to be representative of 70 to 80% of the listener's taste, with almost no sibilance in high frequencies..
For European ears, I would say it's even really near Oratory1990's target which is supposed to be with some more low frequencies between 60hz to 200hz than Harman's target... maybe designed a bit more for bass heads.
So it's easy to EQ with poweramp EQ to adjust the frequency response to both target if needed without any distortion in the path.
1692560521992.png

So luckily, Sony just made a safe choice for it's ultra compact TWS.. though I still hoped it would be with a bit larger design with a lower profile to fit fully a standard ear concha..

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #409 of 1,029
The old silicon tips from the XM3’s worked great on the linkbuds S for me. I was able to cycle without a head tie and they stayed put.

These just like to kinda fall out. The old XM3 silicons for at first, then fall out. Large spinfit 360’s almost stay in, Xtra large do better, but they’re a little painful. Comply larges fall right out too. :/

Anyone tried these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0C5H9MXGP/

I really miss my Linkbuds S. :/ They didn’t carry me off into la la land like the XM5’s, but they at least stayed put.

Anyone have any luck with other tips? I don’t wanna go back to a head tie. :/

Thanks and happy Sunday everyone!

Aug 20, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #411 of 1,029
The old silicon tips from the XM3’s worked great on the linkbuds S for me. I was able to cycle without a head tie and they stayed put.

These just like to kinda fall out. The old XM3 silicons for at first, then fall out. Large spinfit 360’s almost stay in, Xtra large do better, but they’re a little painful. Comply larges fall right out too. :/

Anyone tried these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0C5H9MXGP/

I really miss my Linkbuds S. :/ They didn’t carry me off into la la land like the XM5’s, but they at least stayed put.

Anyone have any luck with other tips? I don’t wanna go back to a head tie. :/

Thanks and happy Sunday everyone!
I cycle with my XM5 and rock stable with in my ears with my Spinfit CP100-M.

Aug 20, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #412 of 1,029
Aug 20, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #413 of 1,029
And I thought $24 was a bit pricey.

I tried my Comply ear tips I used with the my TMW2 today. They made a big difference. I’ll try these pricey ones too. Always can return them

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #414 of 1,029
I really enjoy the 1000XM5, after a few weeks I think they are the best TWS I ever owned for more than a decade (Apple, B&O, JVC, Samsung, Technics, Cambridge Audio, Soundcore, ...) tough there is still some room for improvement :
-> software which don' t allow to assign touch functions as we would like,
-> no android short-cuts to allow or disallow touching functions, ...
-> buds are still a bit too thick to be comfortable for side sleepers .. a bit larger buds with lower profile would have been better.

But, I am surprised by the quality of the foam ear tips which are, for my ears, really good, comfortable with an impressive passive noise cancelling (which makes ANC mostly useless for music)..
I even tried them with some IEMs like XBA-N3AP, Kiwi Ears Quintet and now I want to find some more of those tips, but they seems not really available anywhere in the world (only models for XM3/XM4).
Any idea where we can get them from Europe ? I am looking exclusively for those genuine Sony's models which are EP-NI1010L & EP-NI1010M and nothing else.
Interesting you mention it being uncomfortable for side sleepers because as an avid side sleeper, they are pretty comfortable for me. Watching youtube videos or movies doesn't make my ears sore. Of course, everyones different, so ymmv.

Aug 21, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #415 of 1,029
Had them in my ears for about 4 hours, no discomfort whatsoever, and I didn't took them out of the ears at all.

Didn't listen to music the whole time, so there was still plenty of battery left, more than 50%. I am at work and I need to hear my colleagues.

Aug 21, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #416 of 1,029
I saw it, and such frequency response chart confirms Sony tuned the WF-1000XM5 as a kind of a soft Harman 2019v2 target.. which is supposed to be representative of 70 to 80% of the listener's taste, with almost no sibilance in high frequencies..
For European ears, I would say it's even really near Oratory1990's target which is supposed to be with some more low frequencies between 60hz to 200hz than Harman's target... maybe designed a bit more for bass heads.
So it's easy to EQ with poweramp EQ to adjust the frequency response to both target if needed without any distortion in the path.
1692560521992.png

So luckily, Sony just made a safe choice for it's ultra compact TWS.. though I still hoped it would be with a bit larger design with a lower profile to fit fully a standard ear concha..
Looking at this FR I'm truly surprised. This does not look like what I heard. I know FR doesn't tell the whole story but man, the bass I heard was not well done (too much, not clean) whereas this is almost my ideal target. Since my first pair were defective (wouldn't seal) I'm wondering if my second pair could also have been. Decided to order another pair and see how things go.

I also wonder if the design of the XM5s could be a confounding factor here. They're already fairly well sealed (see Aregina's measurements) and I really had to jam them into my ears to get the noise cancelling to work so I if I blocked off the venting 🤷

Aug 21, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #417 of 1,029
Looking at this FR I'm truly surprised. This does not look like what I heard. I know FR doesn't tell the whole story but man, the bass I heard was not well done (too much, not clean) whereas this is almost my ideal target. Since my first pair were defective (wouldn't seal) I'm wondering if my second pair could also have been. Decided to order another pair and see how things go.

I also wonder if the design of the XM5s could be a confounding factor here. They're already fairly well sealed (see Aregina's measurements) and I really had to jam them into my ears to get the noise cancelling to work so I if I blocked off the venting 🤷
Check your seal, bass is excellent on XM5 and very clean and not over done.

I use spinfit CP100-M, not included tips as not into foam myself.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #418 of 1,029
Interesting you mention it being uncomfortable for side sleepers because as an avid side sleeper, they are pretty comfortable for me. Watching youtube videos or movies doesn't make my ears sore. Of course, everyones different, so ymmv.
using sony when sleeping, i can recommend the linkbuds s here.

Aug 21, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #419 of 1,029

I think, your description is not wrong and seems to be when ANC is activated ... which makes quite muddy some of low frequencies..
The AZ80 can be even worse when ANC is on..
In my case, I consider that till now, none of my TWS (apple, Sony, JVC, Technics, Samsung ... ) are not muddy as soon we activate ANC. I really prefer to take time and try to find the best tip among my 100+ or so models I own, to get the best seal in my ears => sound quality can really be preserved whith the proper tips.
And, what is annoying, is that I can nearly never use the same tips with 2 different IEM or TWS models, though some dedicated to TWS Spinfit or Azla can be quite universal (TWS & IEM) but with a bit less passive noise cancellation than many other tips I own..

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #420 of 1,029

Users who are viewing this thread

Back