Sony WF-1000XM5
Aug 3, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #226 of 1,039
After a few days use, a new annoyance is when I'm taking them off/on say going into my gym, coffee shop, etc. and they're either loose in my hand, or pocket, etc., I'm finding I turn the ANC off a lot (must be that single tap). And since the seal isn't as good as my XM4 to block the ambient noise, it's not immediately apparent when I put them back in my ear.

Also today, I had the right channel drop completely (no issue w/ the left) for about 1-2 mins. This was a first - connected to my iPhone, w/ sound quality priority, DSEE off, etc. Very strange as it's never happened w/ my XM4s and not in the few days of the XM5. Firmware is updated, too.

Aug 3, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #227 of 1,039
I just picked up the XM5 today. I have only spent a few hours on them but here are a few quick observations:

• The nozzles do not fit as deep as the XM4 for me so the Spinfit CP360 tips that worked so well for the XM4 do not give me a secure fit. The CP100 tips are taller, giving me a nice seal and are working well so far though.
  • These are so small, maybe too small. While the XM4s were quite large they fit my ears well and the larger shells actually helped to get a more secure fit. The XM5 is so small it just floats in my ear held in place only by the ear tip.
Totally agree w/ the 'maybe too small' point...I was thinking the same thing. My ears aren't big, prob avg or just below avg. Thx for the CP100 tip suggest, I will research those.

Aug 4, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #229 of 1,039
This is my first post here in the forum, so I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for being included in this forum and greet everyone warmly.

Like some others here, I'm wondering if I want to keep the Sony WF-1000XM5 or return it.

My starting point is that I have been using the Bose QuietComfort Earbuds II since October 2022 and am very satisfied with them except for one point. The QuietComfort Earbuds II are the first headphones where I'm anywhere near satisfied with the ANC.

My problem with Bose is making phone calls in noisy environments. My hope for the WF-1000XM5 was a significant improvement in phone calls and at least as good ANC.

However, the ANC seems to me to be clearly inferior to Bose's ANC so far. When making phone calls, background noise is suppressed, but at the same time the voice is very distorted. Unfortunately, the opinion of telephone partners was that despite the unfiltered noise with the QuietComfort Earbuds II, they understand me better with them than with the WF-1000XM5.

Since some reviews certify that the WF-1000XM5 has a better ANC than the Bose and is sometimes written about 'absolute silence', I wonder if my pair is a defective pair or if the reports are wrong or exaggerated. (For the QuietComfort Earbuds II, such statements of 'absolute silence' have also been spread, although this is not true at all.)

Aug 4, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #230 of 1,039
@Rb64
Welcome to head-fi.

they understand me better with them than with the WF-1000XM5.
watching some reviews on youtube, the call quality of the xm5 is the worst. this is so disappointing.

Since some reviews certify that the WF-1000XM5 has a better ANC than the Bose and is sometimes written about 'absolute silence', I wonder if my pair is a defective pair or if the reports are wrong or exaggerated. (For the QuietComfort Earbuds II, such statements of 'absolute silence' have also been spread, although this is not true at all.)
go to a noisy street and play with the anc levels. You should definitely feel and hear when anc is at 100% max.

Aug 4, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #232 of 1,039
Thank you very much

As far as I have perceived, I can only switch ANC on or off with the WF-1000XM5. How is it possible to regulate the ANC level?
There’s nothing yet. But you could regulate it with the overear cans.

Aug 5, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #234 of 1,039
If there was a wired equivalent, what would it be? Leaning more toward the M9 or Z1R? Or neither, actually?
M9 balanced, though nowhere near its capabilities, and considering M9 is 5BA while XM5 1DD.

But of those two, think more M9 than Z1R.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #235 of 1,039
None that I could detect
Tried the tights wax guard thing, fiddly and a bit unsightly but will do for now. Found these on Amazon so might give a try

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07R5WSBQC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3RUK7FQDNEH63&th=1

Assuming they stick around the stem, do a bit more investigation as may just sit flat inside tube so no good.

1691222256958.png

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #236 of 1,039
M9 balanced, though nowhere near its capabilities, and considering M9 is 5BA while XM5 1DD.

But of those two, think more M9 than Z1R.
Thanks for that. I was pleasantly surprised by the XM5 sound overall, for me the bass response is quasi-perfect, and I also find their clarity exquisite. I was wondering, with the M9 being all BA, they'd still give something approaching that. Also, I've often read the M9 being described as "boring", and it's probably the last term I'd associate with the XM5...

Aug 5, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #237 of 1,039
Thanks for that. I was pleasantly surprised by the XM5 sound overall, for me the bass response is quasi-perfect, and I also find their clarity exquisite. I was wondering, with the M9 being all BA, they'd still give something approaching that. Also, I've often read the M9 being described as "boring", and it's probably the last term I'd associate with the XM5...
M9 isn't boring, well it is if comparing the Z1R. I also think the XM5 has got it spot on sound wise.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #238 of 1,039
Experimented with tips. I had a tough time getting a good seal with my right ear with the Included L tips. and when I did get a seal, when I moved around, I’d lose that seal. The L is fine in my left ear. I tried some Spinfit CP360 and CP100plus, The cp100 plus made the buds stick out of my ears too far. The CP360 made it easy to get a seal. L in left ear and XL in right ear.

Aug 5, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #239 of 1,039
I have ordered the Technics EAH-AZ80 to compare with the XM5. The XM5, because of the smaller size than the XM4, seems to put more weight on my ear canal, no matter what tips I try, and becomes annoying. The Technics shell is supposed to have a "concha fit" design to help. The XM4 were easier to position and to forget about. And the incredibly slippery finish of the XM5 means I keep dropping them out of my fingers when trying to get them out of the case, or out of my ears. The magnet in the case seems to suddenly release and when the earpiece comes out it is hard to hold onto! Almost like it pops out. So next week I should have the Technics on hand to compare and decide. There are a couple of reviews comparing the two (not on HeadFi, unfortunately), but as far as sound quality is concerned (my primary focus) the reviewers seem to be divided on which is better; I think it comes down to the reviewer's ideas of neutrality vs. excitement, the codec used, and the bass response (which of course depends greatly on tips and fit/seal).

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #240 of 1,039
I own the AZ80 and used to own the XM4. I prefer the signature of the AZ80 as it's definitely more balanced.

I look forward to your comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back