Sony WF-1000XM5
Aug 2, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #196 of 1,058
Aug 2, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #198 of 1,058
Wives would say anything in order to get us to send our gadgets back. Don't believe her!
The thing is she doesn't know I am using a new TWS. Living 8000 miles apart has its benefit.

Aug 2, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #199 of 1,058
Is anyone getting reliable (and verified) LDAC 990 with these? I using my A306 and it's essentially unusable with the DAP in my shirt pocket. Plays for a few seconds and then starts dropping out... less than a foot away.

Aug 2, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #200 of 1,058
Is anyone getting reliable (and verified) LDAC 990 with these? I using my A306 and it's essentially unusable with the DAP in my shirt pocket. Plays for a few seconds and then starts dropping out... less than a foot away.

Haven't pay attension to this, Where can I check / set the LDAC bitrate? I only see it says LDAC and thats it.

Aug 2, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #201 of 1,058
Haven't pay attension to this, Where can I check / set the LDAC bitrate? I only see it says LDAC and thats it.

You can check in Developer Options under Bluetooth LDAC Quality (if using Android DAP or phone)... Not sure how to check with other hardware like Windows.

Aug 2, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #202 of 1,058
I just picked up the XM5 today. I have only spent a few hours on them but here are a few quick observations:

• I have these paired to my Pixel 6 streaming my library through Plexamp via LDAC
  • The out of box tuning is definitely still warm and bassy but it is much more balanced than the standard tuning of the XM4
  • These seem to have better clarity especially in the mids which get so overwhelmed by the wooly bass on the XM4
  • I am not a huge fan of the glossy finish- it is slipperier and you can see and feel all the body oils on the surface
  • The nozzles do not fit as deep as the XM4 for me so the Spinfit CP360 tips that worked so well for the XM4 do not give me a secure fit. The CP100 tips are taller, giving me a nice seal and are working well so far though.
  • These are so small, maybe too small. While the XM4s were quite large they fit my ears well and the larger shells actually helped to get a more secure fit. The XM5 is so small it just floats in my ear held in place only by the ear tip.
  • Due to the previous two points, tip fit and grip is crucial and will make or break your experience with these.
  • The overall sound is much more balanced and dynamic. They are not detail monsters by any means but there is improved clarity and resolution throughout the sound spectrum.
  • The bass is great, a bit tighter and more controlled than the XM4. You do need to turn the Clear Bass settting down a notch or two though.
  • I really purchased these just for the sound upgrade and I am not disappointed. I am still tinkering with the EQ but with the bass dialed down and the mids and highs turned up a bit these are a substantial jump up in sound quality.
  • I took one phone call and they sounded great to me. My wife did not complain about how I sounded so that is something :)
  • The performance and sound quality from these true wireless buds is making it easier to leave the DAP and IEMs at home now.
XM4 vs XM5

PXL_20230802_203156970.jpg

The XM4 shell tapers near the nozzle allowing for a deeper fit than the XM5. The taller and narrower CP100 tips make up for this on the XM5

PXL_20230802_202951660.jpg

Aug 2, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #203 of 1,058
The XM4 shell tapers near the nozzle allowing for a deeper fit than the XM5. The taller and narrower CP100 tips make up for this on the XM5
I'll give the CP100+ a try; I have them on hand. Thanks for the suggestion.

Aug 2, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #204 of 1,058
Not to be a downer, but 990 is pushing the limit. I do not own the XM5 but have AZ80, Svarna Wireless, used to have XM4 and a couple other LDAC TWS. All work at 990 on my new Fold 4 but all have hiccups due to the bandwidth consumption.

On my older S20 phone 990 skipped every couple of seconds and was completely unusable no matter what TWS or full size headphone I used.

So expect challenges on older hardware that might make it completely unusable and hiccups on the latest hardware.

The Svanar Wireless is at its best using 990 and I do use that way when I can get it stable. But I just as often let it use the default best effort setting. The difference is only minor and I prefer stable over the added little bit of awesomeness.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #206 of 1,058
I love the sennheiser volume except when it is accidentally triggered, annoying when it drops to zero, deafening and heart attack inducing when it goes to 100%.

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #207 of 1,058
I think I might be returning mine soon. I love the sound quality of the XM5, but the call quality is pretty bad according to my wife and thats a real deal breaker to me.
Had a couple calls & no negative comments back, sounded OK (not great) to me, but rarely make/get calls anyway.

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #208 of 1,058
Is smooth with my S23 via LDAC 990 (intended use) indoors, I use in LDAC 660 mode when out & about (I use a BT Codec app). Will try today with my A307 and report back.

Aug 3, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #209 of 1,058
I'll give the CP100+ a try; I have them on hand. Thanks for the suggestion.
CP100 working great for me too, but then do with many of my IEM's

I'm really liking the size/colour/design of this bud way more than XM4, nearly as good a fit as my old Samsung Buds+

A would normally have black if matt, but not a fan of shiny black plastic, shiny black glass yes.

Below with Spinfit CP100 and app shows I always get a good seal. Did have a quick try of foam Hybrid, but not for me. Only downer at moment id method they chose for volume change and hope they add customisation going forward. Its a keeper for me.

1691057516164.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back