Sony WF-1000XM5
Aug 2, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #181 of 1,029
@deviltrombone

Well, it takes a little bit of work but newer Shure foam tips with a wax guard can be used. I had to use 4 different size pin punches to stretch the center out a bit. It is a tight fit even after that but I was able to use them on my xm5's.

PXL_20230802_054545455.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #182 of 1,029
Yeah, I've decided that since they're not working for me OOTB, I'm not going to try to hack them into acceptability. Thanks for the suggestions, though. The silicone tips I tried had a negative effect on the ANC anyway. So, I'm going to stick with my QC II and continue to hope Bose fixes the connectivity issues that irritate me on a daily basis, like sometimes having to return them to the case multiple times to get them to connect, and the occasional quick panning glitches. That said, there have been many times I've worn them for 6 hours without problems until the battery ran out.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #183 of 1,029
Just adding my data point to the mix. Been an XM4 user since day one. I have liked its sound a lot, for a set of TW buds (which I don't expect a lot from). I personally want a set of TW buds to sound well enough from point A to B, and the XM4 had decent detail, a great sound stage, and separation. However, my biggest gripe was its dark signature. The low end was too bloaty for my tastes, and the high end a bit recessed. I noticed it everytime I used them, but the other redeeming qualities kept them in my pocket, along with the fact that they could fit in the small coin pocket of my pants (albeit, tight fit).

So when I heard the XM5 had a more balanced sound, I had to get it. I'm not one of those who had fit problems with the XM4. I actually had a good fit and seal out of the box with the medium tips. The only time anything was ever an issue was on long flights, where about at the 3 hour mark I could feel a slight pain developing. But after a short break I could resume. So fit wasn't really a factor in me upgrading, it was purely sound quality. In other words, if the XM5 sounded pretty much the same as the XM4, I would've stayed with them.

Much to my delight, it is true that Sony really refined the sound of the XM5. It is quite a difference to me. Clarity is so much improved. The muddiness is eliminated. I was surprised hearing from some users that the bass is toned down. I don't hear that. The bass is still quite bold/present, but it's wonderfully controlled and doesn't bleed.

The mids also surprised me, which aren't the typical recessed quality that I've seen from Sony (even on their top-end IER-ZR1). It's now balanced with the rest of the spectrum. I need to do more listening, but the treble sounds great to me to, less recessed and clear. I haven't gotten a sense that the soundstage is larger than the XM4 as some people have said. It's about the same to me, but it's fine as I always thought the XM4 had great soundstage and good 3D effect (as opposed to a flat, 2D sound on cheap buds). On sound quality alone, it's my opinion that Sony knocked it out of the park. To me, these have left TW buds territory and entered real IEM territory; quite the feat.

Not all is rainbows and sunshine though (is it ever?). I would say that their design is a complete step back. I'm kinda taken aback by it actually. You don't often see products go backwards to this extent. The buds feel much cheaper than the XM4. They feel just like cheap buds, of which the glossy material adds to. They also don't have that authoritative, magnetic snap when you put them back in the case (again, like cheap TW buds).

This unfortunateness extends to the fit. Where Sony designed the XM4 more friendly to bigger ear people, rather than strike a balance, they've gone in the other direction and made the XM5 for small ear people. I don't have super picky ears. I'm usually able to take a new earbud out of its box, with the standard tip size, and it works just fine. A seal for me with the medium tips of the XM5 was in no way possible. Their medium is like a small, so their large is like a medium. So I was praying that the large would work for me, cuz there's no more after that. Unthoughtfully, there's an extra small in the box, but not an extra large. Fortunately, although the large tip is still slightly smaller than I would prefer, I'm able to achieve a seal, but this is only really jamming the buds in my ears. I think Sony needs a larger sample size to test the fit of their buds in development, they seem to be struggling with this.

Apart from this, they seem comfortable. I haven't tested them on a long flight yet, but I suspect it will have long-use comfort. Hope these impressions helps others deliberating these buds.

20230801_170328.jpg

Aug 2, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #184 of 1,029
Sony hybrid tips are also a good option for Sony TWS, super comfy and similar bore to the foams so will have close to the same sound.

Agreed. Sony Hybrid (EP-EX11) do the trick for me. Passes the fit test every time with no adjustments needed.

Aug 2, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #185 of 1,029
Cut a tiny piece out of a pair of ladies tights and place it over the top of the iem before putting the tip on (the tip will keep it tight and in place) and it works like a wax guard. I used this for many years with filterless Etymotics ER4
Great recommendation and not impact sound in your experience?

Aug 2, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #186 of 1,029
Aug 2, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #187 of 1,029
Just adding my data point to the mix. Been an XM4 user since day one. I have liked its sound a lot, for a set of TW buds (which I don't expect a lot from). I personally want a set of TW buds to sound well enough from point A to B, and the XM4 had decent detail, a great sound stage, and separation. However, my biggest gripe was its dark signature. The low end was too bloaty for my tastes, and the high end a bit recessed. I noticed it everytime I used them, but the other redeeming qualities kept them in my pocket, along with the fact that they could fit in the small coin pocket of my pants (albeit, tight fit).

So when I heard the XM5 had a more balanced sound, I had to get it. I'm not one of those who had fit problems with the XM4. I actually had a good fit and seal out of the box with the medium tips. The only time anything was ever an issue was on long flights, where about at the 3 hour mark I could feel a slight pain developing. But after a short break I could resume. So fit wasn't really a factor in me upgrading, it was purely sound quality. In other words, if the XM5 sounded pretty much the same as the XM4, I would've stayed with them.

Much to my delight, it is true that Sony really refined the sound of the XM5. It is quite a difference to me. Clarity is so much improved. The muddiness is eliminated. I was surprised hearing from some users that the bass is toned down. I don't hear that. The bass is still quite bold/present, but it's wonderfully controlled and doesn't bleed.

The mids also surprised me, which aren't the typical recessed quality that I've seen from Sony (even on their top-end IER-ZR1). It's now balanced with the rest of the spectrum. I need to do more listening, but the treble sounds great to me to, less recessed and clear. I haven't gotten a sense that the soundstage is larger than the XM4 as some people have said. It's about the same to me, but it's fine as I always thought the XM4 had great soundstage and good 3D effect (as opposed to a flat, 2D sound on cheap buds). On sound quality alone, it's my opinion that Sony knocked it out of the park. To me, these have left TW buds territory and entered real IEM territory; quite the feat.

Not all is rainbows and sunshine though (is it ever?). I would say that their design is a complete step back. I'm kinda taken aback by it actually. You don't often see products go backwards to this extent. The buds feel much cheaper than the XM4. They feel just like cheap buds, of which the glossy material adds to. They also don't have that authoritative, magnetic snap when you put them back in the case (again, like cheap TW buds).

This unfortunateness extends to the fit. Where Sony designed the XM4 more friendly to bigger ear people, rather than strike a balance, they've gone in the other direction and made the XM5 for small ear people. I don't have super picky ears. I'm usually able to take a new earbud out of its box, with the standard tip size, and it works just fine. A seal for me with the medium tips of the XM5 was in no way possible. Their medium is like a small, so their large is like a medium. So I was praying that the large would work for me, cuz there's no more after that. Unthoughtfully, there's an extra small in the box, but not an extra large. Fortunately, although the large tip is still slightly smaller than I would prefer, I'm able to achieve a seal, but this is only really jamming the buds in my ears. I think Sony needs a larger sample size to test the fit of their buds in development, they seem to be struggling with this.

Apart from this, they seem comfortable. I haven't tested them on a long flight yet, but I suspect it will have long-use comfort. Hope these impressions helps others deliberating these buds.

Like a cheap, cut down wireless version of my M9's, more balanced than XM4, and for me its a big improvement over XM4 and yet still plenty of non bloated bass.

More like XM4 to Z1R sig while XM5 to M9 sig.

I prefer the design but partly because I went for the Grey/White version and looks quality and case is like look/texture of the recycled packaging!

Only thing not happy with is the 4+ multi-press for volume control, needs to be customisable. I do also have the tiny Sony BT remote so use that a lot anyway and works great same time as using XM5's.

Excellent size for use in bed, even with one ear pressed into pillow.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #188 of 1,029
Sound quality aside, I find the current WF and WH iteration to be ugly and un-Sony when it comes to looks and design. I hope this trend won’t continue in future models.

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #189 of 1,029
Got today my XM5's, updated the firmware and just listening to them.
Have a weird problem that the bluetooth connection gets distorted when the WiFi module of the smartphone i use as source is active.
When i disable the module everything is fine, this didn't happen with the XM4's i also have.
Any ideas?

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #191 of 1,029

I couldn't agree more regarding your impressions regarding XM4. I didn't get the hype. I didn't get why people would shut other people down for expressing their honest opinions about XM4?! If somebody doesn't like something, they don't like it? Do some people not understand this simple concept?

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #192 of 1,029
Got today my XM5's, updated the firmware and just listening to them.
Have a weird problem that the bluetooth connection gets distorted when the WiFi module of the smartphone i use as source is active.
When i disable the module everything is fine, this didn't happen with the XM4's i also have.
Any ideas?
Not getting it with my S21. What phone you using and 2.4 or 5GHz wifi ?

Aug 2, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #193 of 1,029
Not getting it with my S21. What phone you using and 2.4 or 5GHz wifi ?
Should band steer to 5GHz but maybe it switched to 2.4GHz, will check again.

Aug 2, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #194 of 1,029
I think I might be returning mine soon. I love the sound quality of the XM5, but the call quality is pretty bad according to my wife and thats a real deal breaker to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back