Sony WF-1000XM5
Jul 30, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #121 of 1,029
Delivered today, charged them fully, and updated the software (that took about an hour). Trying the Spinfit 360 tips that I used with the XM4 and the Sedna Earfit Max (these have a wax screen, but not as fine as the new Sony tips), for starters. First impressions, with noise reduction on, connected via LDAC sound quality prioritized, from my Sony WM1A: more neutral, transparent, and cleaner in the bass range than the XM4. Pairing is instant with my iPhone and even with the WM1A on 4.2. I'll fool around with tip rolling later, but wanted to leave the Sony tips alone, at least for now. And that case is TINY! No lanyard or carabiner possible, but I presume the Spigen case I want will have a fitting for one.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #123 of 1,029
OK had a slightly longer listening session, these easily surpass the XM4s for SQ. Much better imaging and general sound quality and bass is definitely plenty. The veil in sound that existed on the XM4s is gone.

I've settled on the azla crystals for now, but will he curious how others go with tips.
I've got the XM4 and always use the 'Excited' preset which gives me the right amount of mids and treble and plenty of punchy bass. But would you say the XM4 can be made to sound like the XM5 given there are many ways to EQ them or is the XM5 simply much better regardless of EQ?

Speaking of Azla Crystal tips, a friend kindly sent me a pair of them in the medium-large size. They sound very good but I'm curious if you happen to know if any of the other Azla/Sedna tips have even stronger bass or if the Crystal is the best? Also, I normally I wear large size tips and although these medium-large fit very well, I'm thinking about buying one of the Azla large pairs.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #124 of 1,029
It depends on what type of noise you are trying to get rid of. ANC is originally designed for handling constant droning lower frequency noise like engines but is generally not so god at handling midrange or treble noise like other people talking and so on.
It was fine reducing train noise on the subway. Presumably the air-con I was using to test it was not of the optimum frequency to be actively cancelled.

Jul 31, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #125 of 1,029
Presumably the air-con I was using to test it was not of the optimum frequency to be actively cancelled.

Even budget ANC TWS cut air-con effectively. If Sony WF-1000XM5 struggle, that is definitely not good.

Jul 31, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #126 of 1,029
It was fine reducing train noise on the subway. Presumably the air-con I was using to test it was not of the optimum frequency to be actively cancelled.
My XM4 and Linkbud S reduce aircon noticeably

Jul 31, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #127 of 1,029
It is so easy to drop these! I wish they didn't change to the shiny plastic.

Jul 31, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #128 of 1,029
I use the silicon tips supplied with the Sony WF1000xm3's and love what they do to the sound of the XM4's. They slightly tame the excessive bass you get when using the supplied XM4 tips and offer a little more clarity to the top end. I personally love the sound of the XM4's and have no desire to upgrade them.

Having said that I recently purchased the Apple Airpods Pro 2 and rate them very highly. Definitely more effective ANC but I think I prefer the sound of the XM4 when it comes to listening to music.

Jul 31, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #129 of 1,029
Speaking of Azla Crystal tips, a friend kindly sent me a pair of them in the medium-large size. They sound very good but I'm curious if you happen to know if any of the other Azla/Sedna tips have even stronger bass or if the Crystal is the best?
Azla Max is warmer.

Jul 31, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #130 of 1,029
Those that have them already, black or silver version? I've got silver/white version on its way which seemed a bit delayed compared to black version. Mines now with DPD so maybe tomorrow.

Jul 31, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #131 of 1,029
Those that have them already, black or silver version? I've got silver/white version on its way which seemed a bit delayed compared to black version. Mines now with DPD so maybe tomorrow.
i like the gray version. However, germany reviewers always say that this color is a typical "old grandpa gray" which "only old people wear". I don't see it this way. but i think i will buy it in black since all my other headphones are in black.

Jul 31, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #132 of 1,029
i like the gray version. However, germany reviewers always say that this color is a typical "old grandpa gray" which "only old people wear". I don't see it this way. but i think i will buy it in black since all my other headphones are in black.
Well, I'm a grandpa so my colour then 😆

Plus I rarely care what anyone thinks looks wise. The Grey will match cases on my BTR7 & A307, plus I hate glossy black plastic for showing scratches/fingerprints.

I had the Matt XM4 in black.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #133 of 1,029
Ich wünsche mir vom ganzen Herzen, dass du auf Dauer keine Schmerzen hast und die genießen kannst !!!

Jul 31, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #134 of 1,029
I prefer black, looks more sleek. I wish they'd do an optic white version of the xm5. I had the silver (off white) xm4 as well, it reminds me of the colour of the late 80s early 90s computers.

Jul 31, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #135 of 1,029
I prefer black, looks more sleek. I wish they'd do an optic white version of the xm5. I had the silver (off white) xm4 as well, it reminds me of the colour of the late 80s early 90s computers.
This time looks more grey than off white, with contrasting white touch area. I wasn't fan of the XM4 White.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back