Sony WF-1000XM5
Jul 30, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #106 of 1,029
When I toggle noise cancelling on/off the effect is hardly noticable. Is this normal or do I have a dud pair?

Definitely not normal. Either a dud or something messed up in settings.

Jul 30, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #109 of 1,029
On my new wf-xm5 most of the noise cancelling seems to be from the passive insulation. When I toggle noise cancelling on/off the effect is hardly noticable. Is this normal or do I have a dud pair?
Go on the app, see if you have noise cancellation and ambient mode selected in the settings?

Jul 30, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #110 of 1,029
Jul 30, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #111 of 1,029
On my new wf-xm5 most of the noise cancelling seems to be from the passive insulation. When I toggle noise cancelling on/off the effect is hardly noticable. Is this normal or do I have a dud pair?
It depends on what type of noise you are trying to get rid of. ANC is originally designed for handling constant droning lower frequency noise like engines but is generally not so god at handling midrange or treble noise like other people talking and so on.

Jul 30, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #112 of 1,029
Go on the app, see if you have noise cancellation and ambient mode selected in the settings?
Yes. I have checked all that. It could be that at the frequency/volume I am testing it, the passive insulation does such a good job there is nothing left for the active insulation to do.......will need to continue experimenting.....

If there is some internal fault, would that not manifest itself in other ways.....

Jul 30, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #113 of 1,029
Yes. I have checked all that. It could be that at the frequency/volume I am testing it, the passive insulation does such a good job there is nothing left for the active insulation to do.......will need to continue experimenting.....

If there is some internal fault, would that not manifest itself in other ways.....
Have you used ANC earphones before? Perhaps your exceptions were too high lol or as the issues the poster mentioned above.

Jul 30, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #115 of 1,029
Yes I have. My issue is that I hear no change between ANC on or off! The passive insulation seems to do it all.
Put vacuum cleaner on at side of you then try off & on see if you can hear. You should be able to hear vacuum cleaner if off I'd have thought.

Jul 30, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #116 of 1,029
Yes I have. My issue is that I hear no change between ANC on or off! The passive insulation seems to do it all.
I will definitely agree that the passive isolation is outstanding. While at home with normal background noise there might not be a difference, to me there is no mistaking the ANC vs passive in a noisier environment. A simple test - in a moving car on the highway (assuming it’s not an EV), try toggling between passive and ANC…

Jul 30, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #117 of 1,029
Most Impressed with the comfort and ambient mode on these.

Edit: Since I've got them, I think I've adjusted to the sound signature...
I didn't find the last version actually uncomfortable but they were definitely noticeable where they touched my ears. Not sure if that's a valid reason to get the new ones, especially considering the price increase, but I'm contemplating it.

As for the bold part, that's what most people mis-identify as "break-in" but that's another thread. :wink:

Jul 30, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #118 of 1,029
I didn't find the last version actually uncomfortable but they were definitely noticeable where they touched my ears. Not sure if that's a valid reason to get the new ones, especially considering the price increase, but I'm contemplating it.

As for the bold part, that's what most people mis-identify as "break-in" but that's another thread. :wink:
ha I hear you. I prefer the xm4 sound if I'm honest for out and about, they were more musical and engaging esp with EDM. These xm5 are def more detailed and guess more "hi-fi" sounding.

You're in the same boat as me, I never found the xm4 uncomfortable either but once I tried the xm5, it was like night and day. The fit is far superior and noticeably lighter, I wore them out and about today and watching my son's tennis coaching. Super comfy and they didn't budge once. I'm pretty happy with this set as a replacement for the xm4 after some use.

Jul 30, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #119 of 1,029
I just got these today, and these are opposite of what I expected given my experience with XM4. I didn't like the sound of any of the earlier models to be worth keeping around. I could not stand the thick sound of the XM4, and these sound better balanced. These don't sound overly warm like the XM4 with better clarity. These might be the best sounding TWS I've ever heard (which isn't too high of a bar since they are TWS). Also, the ANC quite good as well. I didn't find the ANC to perform as well at the APP with the previous models, and these perform well.

There's strong amount of bass, but doesn't warm up the tonal response badly like the XM4. Sound stage is an improvement over the early models as well. Maybe the cooling off the the thick sound causes the sound to come off quicker, since the sound response comes off quicker.

They come with foam tips as stock. I'll probably try silicone to find out how the highs sound. And the size and fit, obvious improvement. So far, these are a keeper.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back