Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #2,986 of 2,999
Anyone use their eBay Allstate warranty lately (Purchased as a refurb from Secondipity)? Mine finally failed and I submitted a claim and they had me send in for repair but I'm seeing Reddit users claiming that they just order you a new pair from Amazon. Any truth to that?
Just got the shipping notice that Allstate repaired my XM4s and are shipping them back, I guess I jumped the gun buying XM5s. :confounded:

Nov 28, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #2,988 of 2,999
Just got the shipping notice that Allstate repaired my XM4s and are shipping them back, I guess I jumped the gun buying XM5s. :confounded:

my xm4 had a battery problem ...i sent them to the service and they couldnt fix them
So i got a refund the amount i bought them. During black friday i put an extra of 70 euros plus the refund and bought the xm5

From what I can tell from the repair order, they just replaced the left side. I don't think they actually "repaired" them at all. I ended up keeping the XM5s, when I submitted a return, the vendor offered me a discount to keep them. I ended up only paying $159 for them. I couldn't pass that deal up, I'll give the XM4s to my wife or son.

Dec 4, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #2,989 of 2,999
Apologies if these questions have been answered before. I have recently joined this community, and it's tough to go through 200 pages of posts :)

I have read somewhere that the frequency response of this IEM has been updated via firmware recently. If that's the case, measurements from Crinacle, RTings, etc. are no longer valid? What's the most updated frequency response graph for this IEM?

If I want to EQ this IEM to match the most recent Harman target, how can I do that using the Sony app? It's not a fully parametric EQ interface, so I'm stuck with a few options, but since I can't measure the output, I don't really know what numbers I should use.

Thanks

Dec 5, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #2,990 of 2,999
Apologies if these questions have been answered before. I have recently joined this community, and it's tough to go through 200 pages of posts :)

I have read somewhere that the frequency response of this IEM has been updated via firmware recently. If that's the case, measurements from Crinacle, RTings, etc. are no longer valid? What's the most updated frequency response graph for this IEM?

If I want to EQ this IEM to match the most recent Harman target, how can I do that using the Sony app? It's not a fully parametric EQ interface, so I'm stuck with a few options, but since I can't measure the output, I don't really know what numbers I should use.

Thanks

Crinacle's measurement is off on this occasion anyway as the XM4 has this thing where it reduces the treble step by step when it goes above a certain volume. And you can tell on his graph that the volume was above the point where the treble was being reduced quite heavily.

Banbeucmas's XM4 graph looks better and all the built in presets are also measured for comparison.

Banbeucmas's own EQ setting is probably as close as you'll get to Harman actually which is just +2 to 2500hz and +4 to 6300hz.

https://banbeu.com/graph/tool/?share=Harman_2019_Target

Dec 5, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #2,991 of 2,999
Crinacle's measurement is off on this occasion anyway as the XM4 has this thing where it reduces the treble step by step when it goes above a certain volume. And you can tell on his graph that the volume was above the point where the treble was being reduced quite heavily.

Banbeucmas's XM4 graph looks better and all the built in presets are also measured for comparison.

Banbeucmas's own EQ setting is probably as close as you'll get to Harman actually which is just +2 to 2500hz and +4 to 6300hz.

Thanks. that’s a great review and analysis I wasn’t aware of.
this EQ settings are for the guy’s target rather than the Harman, but close enough!

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #2,992 of 2,999

I've had a chance to try this EQ. In all honesty, it sounds a bit metallic (which is what the guy is also saying). I think I prefer the stock tuning, despite being recessed in the treble!

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #2,993 of 2,999
I recommend trying the Eletech Baroque tips with the XM4. They're wonderful and better than anything else I have tried.

Feb 1, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #2,994 of 2,999
I recommend trying the Eletech Baroque tips with the XM4. They're wonderful and better than anything else I have tried.
Where did you order these from?

Spinfits don’t stay secure for me and neither does the comply large.

I’m actually using the linkbuds s now and the large size works really well. I really don’t have any complaints but I’m I’m always willing to try something new!

Feb 1, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #2,995 of 2,999
They're available from Bloom Audio in the US, or from Eletech's website (they're in Singapore).

Mar 12, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #2,997 of 2,999
Well after getting the XM4 left side repaired by Allstate, the right side just crapped out too. They would have been better off just replacing both the first time around. I only realized this after killing my XM5s in the washing machine/dryer. Submitted a new claim to Allstate, we'll see what happens. I ordered APP2s with Apple Care to replace the XM5s, that hurt. :xf_rolleyes:😢

Mar 12, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #2,998 of 2,999
Well after getting the XM4 left side repaired by Allstate, the right side just crapped out too. They would have been better off just replacing both the first time around. I only realized this after killing my XM5s in the washing machine/dryer. Submitted a new claim to Allstate, we'll see what happens. I ordered APP2s with Apple Care to replace the XM5s, that hurt. :xf_rolleyes:😢
I owned both as well. The XM4's became erratic after less than a year of ownership and I disposed of them out of frustration. Not even a week later my XM5's failed also. At this point, I'm feeling pretty good because instead of sticking with them, I've instead written them off and put them where they belong...in the trash. You know what does work; and every time? My ifi go blu and my campfire Dorado 2020's. Epic battery life and great sound and RELIABLE. Sony really has gone to crap since the 80's. I'm done with both wireless earbuds(complexity equals unreliability) and Sony. Good riddance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back