Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Aug 14, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #2,956 of 2,999
If you got an out-of-warranty replacement from Sony USA for the battery problem, did it ship to you from Irvine, California, before the defective unit was actually delivered to Sony? And was it a new pair of ear pieces and a new charging unit?

I have a package coming to me from Irvine, where Sony is HQ'd, but I don't have any record of having ordered anything from Irvine! My return is going to NJ via FedEx and won't be there until today. The forms with the return made it seem like the ear pieces are replaced and re-paired with the charging unit before shipping out, but that doesn't seem to fit with some reports I've read here and elsewhere, ranging from refunds of the purchase price to discounts on other headphones or earbuds.

EDITED: I figured out that the shipment from Irvine is for adhesive labels for the Spigen case for my XM4.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #2,957 of 2,999
If you got a replacement from Sony USA, did it ship to you from Irvine, California, before the defective unit was actually delivered to Sony? And was it a new pair of ear pieces and a new charging unit?
Mine came from the east coast. I sent them everything including the box. They sent me back a plastic bag with new tips and supposedly new buds along with a used/recertified case. The case I got back has a very loose floppy lid but no scratches or dings. Definitely leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Aug 14, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #2,958 of 2,999
The return info I got said no new tips would be sent. I hope I'm not getting sent anything refurbished. There was nothing wrong with the case. I guess I'll wait and see what happens (not that there's much I can do until then).

Aug 14, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #2,959 of 2,999
The return info I got said no new tips would be sent. I hope I'm not getting sent anything refurbished. There was nothing wrong with the case. I guess I'll wait and see what happens (not that there's much I can do until then).
Mine were still under warranty by a week or so, but they did not have black in stock. I told them I would wait for new as I did not want used/recertified products. They said sure/no problem a total of three times and then sent me the recertified stuff anyways. It will definitely alter my future buying decisions from them.

Aug 14, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #2,960 of 2,999
The chat record: "It appears your unit needs service. Our service process will be to ship your Charging Case and Earbuds to our Repair Facility, where we’ll pair new Earbuds with your existing Charging Case." Emphasis added. I have a UR repair order case number with the instructions to send them in, but nothing shows in their system yet, although it was delivered Monday. On Tuesday, via chat, Sony support said it takes three days for the return to be entered into the system and that I should hear from them after that. :fingers_crossed:

[I edited my earlier post about this.]

Got this email this afternoon:
“I'm reaching out to inform you that your Sony WF1000XM4 earbuds have arrived at United Radio and have been tagged into our system under Repair Order# xxxxxxxx. Our technicians will be replacing your earbuds with a set that is working up to manufacturer's specifications. Your existing charging case will be re-paired to these replacement earbuds, and the set will be sent back to you. If you sent in earpads with your earbuds, they will be returned. However, the replacement earbuds will not come with new or additional earpads.”

Those replacements better be new. Sony is still selling new ones on Amazon, via the Sony Store.

UPDATE: They are shipping back to me for delivery on Friday of this week. All fingers crossed...

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #2,961 of 2,999
My replacement earbuds arrived today. They're brand new, black (just like what I sent in), and arrived fully charged (the case needs to be fully charged, as it was at 88%). The case returned was the one I sent in with the repair order. They came with the 2.0 firmware and I'm updating them to 2.0.1..

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #2,962 of 2,999
Managed to forget my XM4 when I rushed out the door so my commute is with Sony ZX300 dap and 7HZ Timeless. Oh how I miss anc and no wires but obviously the actual sq is better even though a lot of that is lost to ambient noise and I have to have the volume a lot higher than I do with the XM4 or when I normally use the ZX300 and Timeless in the hotel room with volume of 70 while on the train I have to have it at 90

Aug 22, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #2,965 of 2,999
Managed to forget my XM4 when I rushed out the door so my commute is with Sony ZX300 dap and 7HZ Timeless. Oh how I miss anc and no wires but obviously the actual sq is better even though a lot of that is lost to ambient noise and I have to have the volume a lot higher than I do with the XM4 or when I normally use the ZX300 and Timeless in the hotel room with volume of 70 while on the train I have to have it at 90
Yes, i feel that. I was tired having to choose between an good commuting solution and high sound quality which is why i switched to Stage Monitors. Higher Isolation than with ANC while having excellent sound Quality.

But the price tag is obviously not comparable to TWS. For the price they cost, they do a good job

Aug 27, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #2,966 of 2,999
After 1:40 on the bus, asking for charge. they will be useless on long flights now.

They were not used that often and always updated latest firmware. I have done soft and hard reset.

I see some reports of battery issues with XM5, not positive about those as a replacement.

my CIEMs seem to work pretty well on flights, maybe with a smaller DAP.

photo_2023-08-27_11-37-30_cr.jpg

Aug 27, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #2,967 of 2,999
After 1:40 on the bus, asking for charge. they will be useless on long flights now.

They were not used that often and always updated latest firmware. I have done soft and hard reset.

I see some reports of battery issues with XM5, not positive about those as a replacement.

my CIEMs seem to work pretty well on flights, maybe with a smaller DAP.

photo_2023-08-27_11-37-30_cr.jpg
Mine right earbud is dying now right after 5-10 minutes.. inserting it back to case for few minutes gives magic restoration up to 40-60% (I cannot get what exactly impacts to that algorithm) and then it can play another 30-40 minutes, etc etc. I’m now suspecting not just “hardware” failure (“burned”battery as Reddit members pointed) but also some software bug reporting wrong level of earbud charge.

Aug 27, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #2,968 of 2,999
Mine right earbud is dying now right after 5-10 minutes.. inserting it back to case for few minutes gives magic restoration up to 40-60% (I cannot get what exactly impacts to that algorithm) and then it can play another 30-40 minutes, etc etc. I’m now suspecting not just “hardware” failure (“burned”battery as Reddit members pointed) but also some software bug reporting wrong level of earbud charge.

have you tried the hard reset opening the case 5 times?

Aug 27, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #2,969 of 2,999
Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #2,970 of 2,999

Users who are viewing this thread

Back