Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #2,971 of 2,999
As I recall the last is how you put them in pairing mode

The last is to reset and also to associate two different buds to a case, for example if you buy a new left/right bud and you want the new one and your old one to work together.

Aug 27, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #2,972 of 2,999
The last is to reset and also to associate two different buds to a case, for example if you buy a new left/right bud and you want the new one and your old one to work together.
So, performing first procedure with opening/closing lid will not make any difference in my case, am I right?

UPD; decided to try. After I did with my “faulty” earbud it shown me 98% of charge.. I will test it now and report here.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #2,973 of 2,999
Mine right earbud is dying now right after 5-10 minutes.. inserting it back to case for few minutes gives magic restoration up to 40-60% (I cannot get what exactly impacts to that algorithm) and then it can play another 30-40 minutes, etc etc. I’m now suspecting not just “hardware” failure (“burned”battery as Reddit members pointed) but also some software bug reporting wrong level of earbud charge.
I share your suspicion about there also being a software / firmware component to the battery issue… Once, while I was wearing the XM4s, the one with the bad battery had turned off but I kept both in my ears and continued to listen to the one good bud. Some time later (maybe 20-30 minutes) the bad bud turned back on with no interaction from me and reported there was something like 35% battery charge and I was able to listen to both buds… This has only happened to me once, but then I almost never continue to wear the buds after the battery drains.

Aug 28, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #2,974 of 2,999
Do you guys charge to 100% from time to time?

At least with Smartphones and Notebooks its a common thing that if they are never charged to 100%, they no longer provide reliable charging levels. Sony and Sharp recommend to charge to 100% at least once a month for their Smartphones.

Aug 30, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #2,975 of 2,999
For anyone that has occlusion issues with these, there are a couple of tiny needle sized ports in the inner surface of the buds that can get filled with gunk and dead skin. They're sort of rectangular shaped.

If you clean those ports (you'll need to use a needle), the issues with occlusion and poor sound while using ANC or Ambient pass through will go away. Seems like a design flaw to me.

Aug 30, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #2,976 of 2,999
1693400656001.png

Sep 13, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #2,978 of 2,999
From: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-wf-1000xm5.968488/post-17728217
The battery died on my XM4s while traveling, bought the XM5 in Bangkok, charged 100% when I got off last flight, back in case after 2 hours listening, opened to use on this flight and no go.

I liked the XM4 sound a bit more, would like them to work anyway.

Back in US for a while how can I get replacement XM4? They are 1.5 years old, battery shot.

Try contacting sony u.s. customer service. They've replaced quite a few with bad batteries. Can't guarantee it, but worth trying.

If you read through this thread, a few members have had luck with doing so.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #2,979 of 2,999
Replaced the batteries by a freelancer, cost $65. Now only drop 20% after 2.5 hours continue playing with iPhone.

Sep 18, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #2,980 of 2,999
FedEx just dropped off my replacement.

Original box came back with the previous case (same serial #) I sent in to UR.

"Replaced and paired new earbuds to charge case." is what they did here. Just updated to 2.0.1. after fully charging the unit.

I did not send in the tips as instructed prior. I also still have extra M tips received from Sony when I complained about that first pair of tips deteriorated.

For context, October 2022 was the first issue (3 months out of warranty) received an out of warranty replacement. Sony sent a new unit a week later. The replacement unit experienced the battery issue in August 2023.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #2,982 of 2,999
Welp, mine are also now having battery issues. Left one for me. I first noticed when I put them in the other day after being in the case for a while and the right was fully charged but the left was only at 95%. Now the left starts from less than 100% and loses charge faster - the difference grows from 5% to 50%+ over an hour or so. They still hold a charge long enough to be useful, but it's time to contact Sony to see what they'll do. For the price I expected to get more years' use out of them.

I guess not using these heavily and consistently since I got them has meant that the issue has taken longer to crop up...? I go through phases of near-daily use and then don't use them for weeks. I'm going to need to be on the phone a lot more coming up which is always easier with hands-free headphones, so the timing sucks.

Oct 11, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #2,983 of 2,999
I gave my WF-1000XM4 to a family member. They used the buds a lot more than I did, and now it seems that one of the buds has the issue with the battery not keeping charge anymore.

For those of you who got the bud/buds replaced - did you contact Sony Support in your country? If yes, did they ask you for a proof of purchase? I got mine from someone else, for cash, in a sealed original box. They were new basically, but I don't have a proof of purchase, nor do I have a way to contact that person anymore, as I found him through a website like eBay, only that it's a local website.

Oct 11, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #2,984 of 2,999
For those of you who got the bud/buds replaced - did you contact Sony Support in your country? If yes, did they ask you for a proof of purchase? I got mine from someone else, for cash, in a sealed original box. They were new basically, but I don't have a proof of purchase, nor do I have a way to contact that person anymore, as I found him through a website like eBay, only that it's a local website.
Yes, they asked me for the specifics verbally. I did not need to send in paperwork, but did need to provide the date of purchase and from where. That may not be required per se, but I did provide that information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back