Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #2,776 of 2,999
Have started using A55 with WF-1000XM4 when in train/bus so I have access to a much larger selection of music than on my iPhone and can also use ldac in place of aac. Does sound better but drains the battery on the XM4 more than twice as fast as with aac

Feb 27, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #2,777 of 2,999
Sure you can but just because it is a problem for you and you want it to do something it dosent you can’t say they dropped the ball, after all it is not a custom product made specifically for you to your spec but a generic product for millions of users. It is what it is and if that don’t suit you then move on and buy a product that does what you want and then accept whatever else that product don’t do

So first you say I can criticize a company but then you say I can't criticize a company, since you state - I can't say they missed out on having a feature by 'dropping the ball', which is all that means. YEs I can criticize but then no I can't. You should try to stay consistent within the same sentence

I mean how in the hell did I imply I wanted a custom made product - I asked for a feature that is available in most of the rest of the TOTL IEM's. And if you noticed in my sig I have multiple IEM's, so thanks, I already know I can buy others. A custom product is incorporating a pretty well known feature in the industry? How do you come up with this stuff?

What this comes down to is you are offended by Sony getting any constructive criticism on already popular features and that's it. I think that's a bit nuts.

Feb 27, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #2,778 of 2,999
So first you say I can criticize a company but then you say I can't criticize a company, since you state - I can't say they missed out on having a feature by 'dropping the ball', which is all that means. YEs I can criticize but then no I can't. You should try to stay consistent within the same sentence

I mean how in the hell did I imply I wanted a custom made product - I asked for a feature that is available in most of the rest of the TOTL IEM's. And if you noticed in my sig I have multiple IEM's, so thanks, I already know I can buy others. A custom product is incorporating a pretty well known feature in the industry? How do you come up with this stuff?

What this comes down to is you are offended by Sony getting any constructive criticism on already popular features and that's it. I think that's a bit nuts.
You claim “Sony has dropped the ball” because they don’t offer a specific feature that you personally would like. In that case I will claim that “Sony is 100% on the ball” as they have offered everything I want.

Can’t you see that both those statements are nonsense ?

No product offers everything everybody wants and Sony have made their choices just like every other manufacturer has and in Sony’s opinion your wish was not important or they didn’t think of it or it was counter to something else they wanted.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #2,781 of 2,999
I updated mine earlier today and the multi point works fine connected to my iPhone and A55 at the same time. Played music over ldac from A55 and then a call came in over aac from the iPhone and when I finished the call music playback from A55 resumed automatically

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #2,782 of 2,999
Finally - firmware update 2.0.0 available (haven't seen a post in this thread anouncing the update)

Downloading it right now, multi-connect (connection to 2 devices) is now available
Any other big changes are not announced in the update info

Update takes some 35-40 minutes on Android.
Nice, will update later. I havent checked my phone yet as Im in a wheelchair so phone is always stuffed down at the side of my chair.

Feb 28, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #2,783 of 2,999
Took about 40 minutes on iOS. The IEMs will disconnect from Bluetooth after the download and then have to be reconnected and the app opened again to have the update install. Then they'll restart.

Feb 28, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #2,785 of 2,999
The update failed after 60 min, trying again.
Mine failed the first time, but I restarted and completed successfully. In fact finished quickly on the second attempt, making me think it picked up at the point before failure.

Feb 28, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #2,786 of 2,999
Mine failed the first time, but I restarted and completed successfully. In fact finished quickly on the second attempt, making me think it picked up at the point before failure.
Same for me

Feb 28, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #2,788 of 2,999
hey there!
does it worth to buy this earphones today or better wait the next generation? is there any feature that worth waiting for the new m5?
cheers
Nobody knows since Sony have not yet announced a XM5. To me the XM4 does everything I need and want so I’ll stick with it until it breaks or the batteries die

Feb 28, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #2,789 of 2,999
Feb 28, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #2,790 of 2,999
An interesting thing is that starting with this 2.0.0 version, there are 3 different firmware files.

There is one labeled "chinese" for devices intended for the Chinese market, one labeled "japanese" for the Japanese market, and one labeled "english" for the rest of the markets.

This could open the possibility of getting a slightly different sound with each variant.

English variant: 3.64 MB
Chinese variant: 3.65 MB
Japanese variant: 3.77 MB

I just forced an update to the Japanese firmware (having EU buds) and it worked, but I didn't use the buds in quite some time since I got the WH1000XM5, so I can't exactly analyze differences.

Forcing the update meant for Japanese devices changed the voice to Japanese, even though in the Headphones app it was still showing it as English. The language can be changed though, but you'll have to change it to something like French first, then back to English. It seems that when you change the language, it actually downloads a voice pack as a separate firmware update, and then that pack is installed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back