Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #2,131 of 2,999
@meridius I would try returning again. If you and enough others do, Sony and/or Amazon will realize there's a problem with that manufacturing timeframe.
It's too bad you can't return to a different "location"...I can't see with Amazon how to make sure your next set comes from a different shelf and thus has a different manufacturing date.

Jan 29, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #2,132 of 2,999
I just listen to the music. If a product provides great music 99.99% of the time with an intermittent poof that's good enough for me. Some people want their product to be flawless in all circumstances. This is a difficult thing to accomplish. The Sonys provide great sound and features and convenience with an occasional bug. If the phones annoy you with their poof or because they don't offer a medium and a half size tip I suggest you move on to an earphone with better potential.
I Don’t even know what the hell your Going on about.

Jan 29, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #2,133 of 2,999
@meridius I would try returning again. If you and enough others do, Sony and/or Amazon will realize there's a problem with that manufacturing timeframe.
It's too bad you can't return to a different "location"...I can't see with Amazon how to make sure your next set comes from a different shelf and thus has a different manufacturing date.
Yep might give Amazon one more try and if it happens again I can send the others to Sony as Amazon tend to let you try for 30 days and they might get fixed within that time frame.

Abit of a pain but I don’t like how Sony say if they don’t find a fault they charge you nearly 20% of that the original price of the units are. I’ll keep you all up to date

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #2,136 of 2,999
Jan 30, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #2,137 of 2,999
As the comment above says, if you're on Android, you can try disabling Bluetooth absolute volume control, the setting should be under developer options if I remember correctly. Then you can set the IEM volume from the app and adjust the output volume on your player separately.
The feature basically ties the volume control of the IEMs with the output volume of the device so you don't blow your ears out.
Also, enjoy your purchase, I hope
Thank you, this worked 😀

Jan 30, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #2,139 of 2,999
Hi all just a question

Anyone know what the differences between priority sound quality and priority stability connection

What do each setting select for codec and nitrates ? Sony don’t seem to say.

Bought another pair from Amazon this is my third pair and if they do it again there going to Sony regardless and they don’t fix it there going on eBay. Can not put up with this sound problem any longer.

Just a quick link. This is what I get in mine. Not the same headset but still Sony I see and I have same problem I get with the wf-1000xm4

First pair right ear only
2nd pair left ear only.
Third pair we will wait and see

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #2,140 of 2,999
Hi all just a question

Anyone know what the differences between priority sound quality and priority stability connection

What do each setting select for codec and nitrates ? Sony don’t seem to say.

Bought another pair from Amazon this is my third pair and if they do it again there going to Sony regardless and they don’t fix it there going on eBay. Can not put up with this sound problem any longer.

Just a quick link. This is what I get in mine. Not the same headset but still Sony I see and I have same problem I get with the wf-1000xm4

First pair right ear only
2nd pair left ear only.
Third pair we will wait and see

Priority on sound quality sets them up to use LDAC,basically trying to use the highest quality transmission possible, priority on stable connection will use lesser codec (I think it defaults to SBC) and you won't be able to switch to LDAC even from settings, i think.
First option also enables higher bitrate, but since it's LDAC and high bitrate it's often unstable. Second option, the bitrate is adaptive i think, depending on the codec used (or it may have something to do with the connected device).

As for the sound from the video, sounds to me a lot like wind noise/microphone pickup, assuming that is the noise you're trying to describe. This may be unrelated but there's a setting for reducing wind noise on Ambient mode, have you tinkered with that?
Edit: I glanced at the comments on the video you posted and ppl there seem to think that it has to do something with moisture buildup in/on the headset. Is it possible that it's from high relative humidity where you are or sweating?

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #2,141 of 2,999
Priority on sound quality sets them up to use LDAC,basically trying to use the highest quality transmission possible, priority on stable connection will use lesser codec (I think it defaults to SBC) and you won't be able to switch to LDAC even from settings, i think.
First option also enables higher bitrate, but since it's LDAC and high bitrate it's often unstable. Second option, the bitrate is adaptive i think, depending on the codec used (or it may have something to do with the connected device).

As for the sound from the video, sounds to me a lot like wind noise/microphone pickup, assuming that is the noise you're trying to describe. This may be unrelated but there's a setting for reducing wind noise on Ambient mode, have you tinkered with that?
Edit: I glanced at the comments on the video you posted and ppl there seem to think that it has to do something with moisture buildup in/on the headset. Is it possible that it's from high relative humidity where you are or sweating?
No sweat just does it. On and off even just sitting in my chair doing nothing. Don’t think it’s the same problem but I do get the same type of sound but much lower. I think it’s a problem with the anc mics and they just create some sort of static noise. Had it on Two pair now but in different sides.

Never seem to have it for the first few days. tried them today straight out the case no problem about 10 min in started doing it And just sitting with no sound around me. noticed both sets where manufactured nov 2021 so god knows if it’s a hardware fault.

so if i use a iOS device and using acc would it not matter if use the better connection setting instead of better sound quality setting.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #2,142 of 2,999
so if i use a iOS device and using acc would it not matter if use the better connection setting instead of better sound quality setting.
It would still try to use a higher bitrate on the priority on sound setting. If you're getting lots of dropouts or are in an environment where there is a lot of radio interference, maybe go for priority on stable connection. Likely you wouldn't be able to tell a lot of differences if you're stuck with AAC anyway

Jan 30, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #2,143 of 2,999
I love these WF-1000XM4, some of the best money spent in Headfi.

It's a great package and the sound is absolutely immersive and fun, with the Spinfit CP360 and deep enough insertion.

The only flaw in the package for me was the stock tips. Not bad quality, but I was struggling to get the perfect seal even with size L and the comfort was decent but not optimal.

I have Sennheiser HD 600 and Hifiman Ananda, but since I bought the XM4 for various reasons I am almost always using them.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #2,144 of 2,999
No sweat just does it. On and off even just sitting in my chair doing nothing. Don’t think it’s the same problem but I do get the same type of sound but much lower. I think it’s a problem with the anc mics and they just create some sort of static noise. Had it on Two pair now but in different sides.

Never seem to have it for the first few days. tried them today straight out the case no problem about 10 min in started doing it And just sitting with no sound around me. noticed both sets where manufactured nov 2021 so god knows if it’s a hardware fault.

Better connection will usually use a lower sq to get better stability. I’ve been using first XM3 and then XM4 from various iPhones (8, 11Pro and 13Pro) since the day both headsets were available and have always used them with better sq setting and have had no problems with either on any of the 3 phones. I never use ambient setting, only anc or off (when out in wind) and never auto location

Users who are viewing this thread

Back