Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #2,101 of 2,999
well onto my third pair, bought a pair from amazon and the right ear started to act up with ANC & Ambient sound turned on, like a popping sound and then a wind type rubbing sound all the time. sent them back to amazon and got them replaced this time after a week same problem but in the left ear.

It came down to when ANC or ambient sound is on it acts up but when you turn them options off its fine. Tried updating the last pair but did not fix it but did notice they were both manufactured year 21 month 11 so i think there is a bad faulty batch.

Contacted Sony but waiting for their response as i have a feeling they will get replaced for a third time but by Sony this time not by amazon. not impressed so far with the build quality as there is clearly a fault with the ANC Mics, either Sony changed to a different component and has a subpar part because of part shortages or there is a bad batch of parts.

I find this odd that i have had two pair do the same and that no other people seem to have this problem but the only thing is they were both mad the same year and month
I have always had the wind kind of sound with ambient but dont think with ANC but I havent needed to use ANC so far,, and only use ambient sometimes, so the wind noise isn't a big deal for me.

Typically it seens that the Xelastac is one size bigger than other tips with the same size designation
Dam. I use the large stock tips and I wouldn't think anything larger would fit.. Ah well at least I can send them back.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #2,102 of 2,999
I have always had the wind kind of sound with ambient but dont think with ANC but I havent needed to use ANC so far,, and only use ambient sometimes, so the wind noise isn't a big deal for me.

Dam. I use the large stock tips and I wouldn't think anything larger would fit.. Ah well at least I can send them back.
I normally use L in anything and the stock L was too small but the L Xelastac was too big for me

Jan 22, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #2,103 of 2,999
Well that means there faulty.

As it should not do this at all. As both sets I had worked for the first 10 days without fault. And I use them 3 hours a day for commute. Also it’s been two different ears with the two sets. They should not be doing it at all and if people put up with it they will never fix the problem.

If this is normal then this is a defect or worse still a bad design fault As I have a pair of SMTW2 that have ANC and never done this

I think Sony have some sort of bad batch going on. As they work for the first 10 days ish without fault.

When what yours manufactured ?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #2,104 of 2,999
I normally use L in anything and the stock L was too small but the L Xelastac was too big for me
Just receive these tips and they feel smaller if anything as they slide in and twist in my ears much easier but they don't seem smaller as there's no difference in sound and they hold in my ears better with them being slightly sticky... The only negative so far, is that they don't block out as much outside sound as the stock tips.

So Im pleasantly surprised as I was expecting to send them back, I didnt even open the straight away as I was sure they wasnt going to be any good. ...I even had to double check the box to make sure they were the large size, as they just slid in my ears unlike the stock tips that takes more getting in.
Well that means there faulty.

As it should not do this at all. As both sets I had worked for the first 10 days without fault. And I use them 3 hours a day for commute. Also it’s been two different ears with the two sets. They should not be doing it at all and if people put up with it they will never fix the problem.

If this is normal then this is a defect or worse still a bad design fault As I have a pair of SMTW2 that have ANC and never done this

I think Sony have some sort of bad batch going on. As they work for the first 10 days ish without fault.

When what yours manufactured ?

Quite often for the first 10-20secs of using ambient mode I get that wind sound in the right bud, but then it disappears ... I have no idea when they were manufactured, how do you tell? I bought them "black friday" time.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #2,109 of 2,999
I quite enjoy this EQ, seems a bit brighter.
Thanks.
I'm also using the SpinFit CP360 tips (I have the Xelastic and Crystal tips for my FiiO FD5, but like the SpinFit with the Sony).

Jan 22, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #2,110 of 2,999
Having listened to tracks with the Xelastac tips for a good 4-5hrs now, they do actually change the sound quite a bit by making the sound warmer with more bass,.... The buds feel much nicer to wear now as they dont make my ears ache and feel odd after long sessions of use, as I wear the buds pretty much all day long... Some reviews says the tips go soft after a while and are basically useless when that happens

Jan 23, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #2,111 of 2,999
Try this equalization with 5 bands parametric equalizer ( i use neutron player on FiiO m6):

4876 Hz Q 0.9 Gain 4.4 dB
8416 Hz Q 2.13 Gain 4.4 dB
1857 Hz Q 2.2 Gain 0.4 dB
11274 Hz Q 1.75 Gain 1.9 dB
11332 Hz Q 0.64 Gain 0.9 dB
pre-amp -4.40 dB

Finally i’ve found the best solution for correct reproducing on mid/high range without losing in dynamic.
With firmware 1.3.3

excuse me for my bad english and tell me what do you think about

Jan 24, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #2,112 of 2,999
Spinfit CP360 has arrived.

The XL size is too big for me, the L is perfect.

Perfect seal, which also easily passes the test of the Sony app, while with the stock tips I had problems getting the seal, especially on the right ear.

With the perfect seal of the Spinfit CP360 the sound is even better, clearer and more agile and the ANC is also improved. Maybe because I didn't seal completely with the stocks.

Finally, they are very comfortable, they disappear completely, they do not cause any discomfort and it is not necessary to adjust them continuously.

Great upgrade.

Jan 25, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #2,114 of 2,999
Would a Fiio m6 paired with an iPhone then the xm4 paired with the m6 sound better by alot compared to just paring the xm4 to an iPhone.
I would not expect so since both dac and amp are in the buds so they just receive a digital signal. Only thing that might improve is if the m6 can send ldac but even so that might not improve since the Apple aac is really well implemented

Jan 25, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #2,115 of 2,999
I would not expect so since both dac and amp are in the buds so they just receive a digital signal. Only thing that might improve is if the m6 can send ldac but even so that might not improve since the Apple aac is really well implemented
I've brought this point up once before, that foe me, the primary difference between iPhone AAC and say well implemented LDAC I feel that I totally hear the difference in the treble detail/extension. My issue with iPhone AAC in general is in the treble frequencies. Everything else is reasonably good, but the treble is where it breaks down for me a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back