Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jan 20, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #2,087 of 2,999
So i recently bought Sony WF-1000XM4, coming from Samsung galaxy buds plus, well I have to say I am impressed by ANC and sound quality, the battery life is better on buds plus but that's cause it lacks ANC and LDAC. The sound on XM4 is definitely bassier and richer especially with EQ mentioned in page 7.

For phone calls I find buds plus to be consistent in quiet areas and noisy areas, while XM4 is excellent in quiet areas, I can't say the same in noisy areas.

For fit, I find XM4 to fit much better and isolate much better than buds plus.

Am just curious why the right bud lose more battery than left? Also there is a noise like an echo that is evident in left ear bud during phone calls, does anyone have same complaint?

Jan 20, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #2,088 of 2,999
I find it really strange to happen to someone, same problem, with both sets!! Strange indeed!! Try to avoid Amazon and buy directly from Sony.
I know I think there is some sort of manufacture fault in that month as both where made in the same month. Maybe Sony have a faulty part batch. I have contacted Sony but they will not do anything until I update the firmware form 1.2.6 to 1.3.3. But like I say they both worked fine for a week and started this problem on firm 1.2.6 but been a different ear peace on both sets.

So I hope Sony will send me a good pair as I am not going to send them back to Amazon for a third time.

Jan 20, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #2,089 of 2,999
So today I’ve decided to change my connection settings to LDAC (connection preferred) rather than sound quality preferred. I think the only difference is that the bit rate switches between 660 and 990 kbps based on signal strength?

Haven’t had a single dropout yet and I’ve been listening for a couple of hours and I haven’t noticed any degradation in sound quality.

I found that changing the setting for the headphones themselves to connection preferred was forcing an SBC connection which is an absolute no go

Jan 20, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #2,090 of 2,999
Wondering if anyone has compared the galaxy buds pro alongside these in terms of audio and ANC? I assume the ANC on the XM4 is better, but if the XM4's are anything like the Sony WH headphones in terms of SQ, then I probably won't like them. Their headphones I thought sounded muddy, mushy and lacking detail.

Jan 21, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #2,096 of 2,999

I didn’t get on with the Xelastec as they deformed quickly, but they are very sticky and larger than average for the size designation. The Crystal however I like and use

Jan 22, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #2,098 of 2,999
well onto my third pair, bought a pair from amazon and the right ear started to act up with ANC & Ambient sound turned on, like a popping sound and then a wind type rubbing sound all the time. sent them back to amazon and got them replaced this time after a week same problem but in the left ear.

It came down to when ANC or ambient sound is on it acts up but when you turn them options off its fine. Tried updating the last pair but did not fix it but did notice they were both manufactured year 21 month 11 so i think there is a bad faulty batch.

Contacted Sony but waiting for their response as i have a feeling they will get replaced for a third time but by Sony this time not by amazon. not impressed so far with the build quality as there is clearly a fault with the ANC Mics, either Sony changed to a different component and has a subpar part because of part shortages or there is a bad batch of parts.

I find this odd that i have had two pair do the same and that no other people seem to have this problem but the only thing is they were both mad the same year and month

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #2,099 of 2,999
Thanks, well I might be sending these back then.. How much larger are these compared to the stock ones?
Typically it seens that the Xelastac is one size bigger than other tips with the same size designation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back