Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #2,071 of 2,999
Only left ear issue i get is that I'll put both in my ears, both do their connected check but only the right side has audio until i put both back in the case for a second then usually good to go. Happens intermittently and happened right after I did this update the other day lol.
That is similar to issue on my xm4. For a quick fix try pausing, take left bud out of ear, put it back, hit play again, see if that works.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #2,072 of 2,999
Let me clarify....This occurs in settings like a hospital ICU with a large number of medical electronic devices around. No issue when in a typical home environment
Ah. I’ve only used it at home or at a hotel or on the train

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #2,075 of 2,999
Bluetooth uses frequency hopping between 2.402 GHz and 2.480 GHz, which means that a location with active 2.4 GHz wireless networks and plenty of industrial, scientific and medical devices will interfere with your use of any Bluetooth devices. Even in the home environment, wireless telephones and dongles for some computer hardware rely on the 2.4 GHz band for connectivity.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #2,076 of 2,999
Bluetooth uses frequency hopping between 2.402 GHz and 2.480 GHz, which means that a location with active 2.4 GHz wireless networks and plenty of industrial, scientific and medical devices will interfere with your use of any Bluetooth devices. Even in the home environment, wireless telephones and dongles for some computer hardware rely on the 2.4 GHz band for connectivity.
Can definitely confirm that routers and other such things working on 2.4Ghz mess with the connection quality. I get constant dropping out if my phone is connected to 2.4Ghz at home (there are a lot of 2.4Ghz routers in my building, maybe more than 100) but it's okay if I'm on 5Ghz

Jan 19, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #2,078 of 2,999
They lasted 1 to 2 months before starting to deteriorate.

Yes, they only asked for proof of purchase and my address.
Did they last so short? I thought they could be longer-lived, to me they give the impression of being quite resistant. I've been using them for about ten days, they are still very fresh.

I will try to ask for a second pair, too, from Sony customer support.

Now I'm waiting for the Spinfit CP360s to arrive.

Do you think WF-1000XM4 sound better with ANC or without?

Jan 19, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #2,079 of 2,999
Apparently, Sony may have quietly redesigned the stock tips which are available through CS via warranty if your current set becomes damaged.

The new tips are more tapered, less of a barrel shape.

RDT_20220119_1933303746060174924830298.jpg

(Left, original. Right, new.)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #2,080 of 2,999
They lasted 1 to 2 months before starting to deteriorate.

Yes, they only asked for proof of purchase and my address.
Just some questions in order to analyse deeper the quality issues; is there a possibility that you may have mistreated the tips? Like, have you been washing them too often with soaps, liquid detergents etc? Have you been squeezing them when wet after wash or sweat? Have you been rolling them too intensely before inserting into your ears? Generally have you been sweating a lot on those tips?

Jan 19, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #2,082 of 2,999
Jan 20, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #2,083 of 2,999
Just some questions in order to analyse deeper the quality issues; is there a possibility that you may have mistreated the tips? Like, have you been washing them too often with soaps, liquid detergents etc? Have you been squeezing them when wet after wash or sweat? Have you been rolling them too intensely before inserting into your ears? Generally have you been sweating a lot on those tips?
Never washed them, I may have sweat with them and I did adjust occasionnaly with them on my ears.
Keep in mind I'm talking about the ones that came with them in the day of release, I have no ideia if there was a silent material revision to them.

Anyway, they were not completely ruined so I tried them with the default eq (with the latest update) and they sound very close to the WH, it seems the Comply Truegrip take out a bit more of the treble.

(also these stock ones isolate more than the truegrip)
Apparently, Sony quietly redesigned the stock tips which are available through CS via warranty if your current set becomes damaged.

The new tips are more tapered, less of a barrel shape.

RDT_20220119_1933303746060174924830298.jpg

(Left, original. Right, new.)

Wish I could buy them in bulk. I asked them where I could purchase them, and they did not answer.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #2,084 of 2,999
Well my 2nd pair have now went faulty after a week so I will have to try and get this sorted with Sony as I think this a a manufacturer fault as.Both sets where made in November last year

This time it the left ear as the last pair where the right ear. You get a pop sound and then they start to have some sort of constraint wind type sound all the time. Bloody joke. I think Sony might of changed a component because of shortages and might have a defect as I find this strange that both set where fine for a week and then have the same problem just in different ears. So this time off back to Sony instead just in case as both sets from Amazon where November build date

I am surprised I have had the same fault on two sets but both worked fine for about a week. This is to be defect in that build date or everyone would have the same problem.

Do Sony repair or just replace and if they replace do they give you a whole new box sealed with tips ?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #2,085 of 2,999
Well my 2nd pair have now went faulty after a week so I will have to try and get this sorted with Sony as I think this a a manufacturer fault as.Both sets where made in November last year

This time it the left ear as the last pair where the right ear. You get a pop sound and then they start to have some sort of constraint wind type sound all the time. Bloody joke. I think Sony might of changed a component because of shortages and might have a defect as I find this strange that both set where fine for a week and then have the same problem just in different ears. So this time off back to Sony instead just in case as both sets from Amazon where November build date

I am surprised I have had the same fault on two sets but both worked fine for about a week. This is to be defect in that build date or everyone would have the same problem.

Do Sony repair or just replace and if they replace do they give you a whole new box sealed with tips ?
I find it really strange to happen to someone, same problem, with both sets!! Strange indeed!! Try to avoid Amazon and buy directly from Sony.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back