Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #2,057 of 2,999
The new firmware has improved the tuning to a point where I’ve changed my mind about selling my XM4s. Without EQ, it’s still a tad too mid-bass focused, but adding +1db at 400 and +2db at 1K brings male vocals forward to the extent that I’m happy with them. No more treble EQ needed.

Jan 16, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #2,058 of 2,999
is there any way to downgrade the firmware?, the sound quality is worse on 1.3.3, metallic trebles, less rumble on the sub bass, and not to mention the bass texture is awful now.
I think that due to the kind of different response of 1.3.3 it is now imperative to use the original Sony foam tips. I tried the Crystals and didn't like the sound. Treble is too shouty for my taste and deep bass is totally missed. Also Crystals do not fit my ears that well; due to their sticky nature they cannot go that deep (all sizes), thus earbuds stick further out than how they fit with the large Sony foams. Foams are also far more stable in my ears than Crystals. I think that Sony foams give now a quite balanced sound for my tastes.

Jan 16, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #2,059 of 2,999
I think that due to the kind of different response of 1.3.3 it is now imperative to use the original Sony foam tips. I tried the Crystals and didn't like the sound. Treble is too shouty for my taste and deep bass is totally missed. Also Crystals do not fit my ears that well; due to their sticky nature they cannot go that deep (all sizes), thus earbuds stick further out than how they fit with the large Sony foams. Foams are also far more stable in my ears than Crystals. I think that Sony foams give now a quite balanced sound for my tastes.
I have been using the Sony foam tips from the beginning and used Treble Boost for the EQ. With FW 1.3.3, still with the foam tips, but now starting with flat EQ and small bump of +1db at 400 and +2db at 1K as suggested by @unifutomaki. To me the sound is very well balanced when listening to several different genres of music.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #2,060 of 2,999
While the frequency response MAY have changed with the new FW release, let’s wait until someone with a measurement rig actually measures things before we go posting too many observations vis-a-vis possible FR changes with the new FW. The power of suggestion is strong, and mass illusion is a real thing, and it might be embarrassing to post about observations only to have been subconsciously influenced by someone else’s comments…

Jan 17, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #2,062 of 2,999
just updated to 1.3.3 but I preferred the old sound. everything sounds muddier unfortunately. But I'm sure my ears will adjust to this new sound. using spinfit 360
Also I never had any left earphone drop that I've been reading. I use Apple products and Windows BT. Is this something that only Android users experience?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #2,063 of 2,999
My only problem is that I almost never get the perfect seal - according to the test - on the right earpiece, with the stock size L tips.

The sound for the rest I really like, with stock tips and firmware 1.3.3, no EQ.

Let's see if I can get the perfect seal with the Spinfit CP360, probably with the XL.

I hope they don't change the sound too much.

Jan 17, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #2,064 of 2,999
I have dropouts occur when using LDAC with my Sony A45. But I think it’s more to do with the weak signal from the Walkman rather than a problem with the headphones. AAC from iPhone/iPad not a problem at all

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #2,065 of 2,999
I have dropouts occur when using LDAC with my Sony A55. But I think it’s more to do with the weak signal from the Walkman rather than a problem with the headphones. AAC from iPhone/iPad not a problem at all
It's the Walkman. These devices aren't Meant for Bluetooth, but they have transmitters. My zx507 loses signal. I have LG V60 phone, no issue holding strong signal via LDAC

Jan 17, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #2,066 of 2,999
While the frequency response MAY have changed with the new FW release, let’s wait until someone with a measurement rig actually measures things before we go posting too many observations vis-a-vis possible FR changes with the new FW. The power of suggestion is strong, and mass illusion is a real thing, and it might be embarrassing to post about observations only to have been subconsciously influenced by someone else’s comments…
Since I am not allowed to measure at E-Earphone anymore (For some reason... Was allowed to do this before). If anyone is in Japan and have time to travel to Akiba before 3rd of Feb. I am willing to measure it for you guys

Jan 18, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #2,067 of 2,999
It's the Walkman. These devices aren't Meant for Bluetooth, but they have transmitters. My zx507 loses signal. I have LG V60 phone, no issue holding strong signal via LDAC
I’ve had no problems with my A55 feeding either XM3 or XM4 over ldac at highest bit rate

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #2,068 of 2,999
Only left ear issue i get is that I'll put both in my ears, both do their connected check but only the right side has audio until i put both back in the case for a second then usually good to go. Happens intermittently and happened right after I did this update the other day lol.

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #2,069 of 2,999
I’ve had no problems with my A55 feeding either XM3 or XM4 over ldac at highest bit rate
Let me clarify....This occurs in settings like a hospital ICU with a large number of medical electronic devices around. No issue when in a typical home environment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back