Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #2,026 of 2,999
Just updated to 1.3.3. I am not sure if it is placebo, but I am hearing more detail and the treble has more sparkle / airiness. So far, so good!

Jan 11, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #2,027 of 2,999
Just updated to 1.3.3. I am not sure if it is placebo, but I am hearing more detail and the treble has more sparkle / airiness. So far, so good!
I don't think it's placebo. I noticed the same thing. I normally just use treble boost to balance out the bass (early posts indicate turning on treble boost was very close to Harman In-ear target), but now I'm gonna have to tune down the treble boost a little. Hopefully someone with a measuring rig can do a new frequency response graph comparing before and after the 1.3.3 update and share here.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #2,029 of 2,999
Just updated, haven't listened since around Christmas and even so, can definitely hear a crisper, more detailed treble. Quickly listened to "Gasoline" on The Weeknd's new album. Good test of this.

Jan 11, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #2,032 of 2,999
It seems that Sony change the frequency response on 1.3.3 update, they seem to raised the upper mids and dropping the sub bass down, I'm now getting thinner body on the trebles (metallic sound just like the XM3) with the foam tips which usually not, I have to drop a couple DBs on the EQ. I don't know if I'm happy with the update.

Jan 12, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #2,033 of 2,999
Usually I don't believe in FR changes with updates, but this time there's definitely some changes going on. The mids went from super full sounding to normal/natural.
I still think it lacks a bit treble so I still eq them.

I hope someone like rtings retests them, either there are changes or I've finally gone crazy.

Jan 12, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #2,034 of 2,999
I really have to say, ambient mode feels like a little bit of tech magic. For a moment I thought I wasn't even wearing earbuds - the hearthrough sound is surprisingly natural and reminds me of good, MUCH more expensive hearing aids. Really impressive.

Jan 12, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #2,035 of 2,999
Updating now...wish I had listened to something just before I started, to do a quick a/b comparison of the sound.
I was listening to some Keiko Matsui (jazz for the people not familiar) during the download phase of the update. When the firmware gets installed the XM4 gets disconnected so the music stops. Afterwards I started the same track and was surprised that the sound had changed. At first I wasn't sure, but the more I listened then I was convinced the FR changed.

Jan 12, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #2,037 of 2,999
Why does the sound get warmer with more bass when using ANC or Ambient mode?
Because that is how Sony have tuned their dsp algorithm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back