Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #1,951 of 2,999
Hi all just bought a pair of Sony WF-1000XM4 And waiting for them to be delivered. I have had the momentum true wireless 2 for a couple of weeks and they do sound good at stock eq as I can not find any recommended settings but the anc and background mic pickup is horrendous on these so wanted to try the Sonys.

I hope I can get a similar sound or as good as with better anc and call quality.

Dec 27, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #1,952 of 2,999
I had these for xmas as a upgrade to my 1yr old Cambridge Audio Melomania buds and they are better in every way. The sony's are a slightly warmer sounding with more bass which I prefer.. I use a longrange Bluetooth transmitter and the sony's seem to have a longer range or a stabler connection than my CA buds, as I get less drop outs.. The battery is awesome compared to the 5hr bat life on the CA buds especially if you turn off ANC/Ambient. I haven't tested the ANC yet, but I cant see me using this feature as the tips do a very good job at blocking out the sound, but the ambient mode is a fantastic feature which I use it alot.. Ah yeah almost forgot my CA buds would constantly work there wway out of my ears and I were aways having to push them in, but the sony's stay put, once there in, they dont move.

2 minor problem though and are because I have cerebral palsy they are awkward to put in my ears as the shape of the buds are hard for me to hold. The other problem is they feel less comfortable than the CA buds. But Im hoping over time my ears will get use to them, as my CA buds made my ears really sore for a good few weeks at first but then they were really comfortable.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #1,953 of 2,999
Hello everyone. I wanted to ask if these earphones don’t turn off completely? When I turn them off through the app, I hear through the earphones: the power is off, but if I leave the headphones in a case (with that paper gasket) or on a desk (auto power off) and if the headphones were charged to 90 percent in the evening before turning off, it will be just 50-60% in the morning. The headset only disconnects from the device, but consumes power itself.

Dec 28, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #1,954 of 2,999
As above, please give us your view on the original foam Sony tips as well. Especially please compare sound between the Azla crystal and the Sony foam ones. Thanks.

Both Azla Crystal and the Sony foam have a warmer sound compare to other tips, but the Sony ones have wider soundstage, better depth, and the bass digs deeper with better textures. Unfortunately the Sony foam is very uncomfortable (it's get itchy very quickly), soo they are the last option for me.

Here's my EQ for the Sony foam tips.
Screenshot_20211228-201131323.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #1,955 of 2,999
the power is off, but if I leave the headphones in a case (with that paper gasket)
I don't think you're supposed to have the paper gasket in. The pins on the case must make good contact with the pads on the buds for proper functioning, including powering on and off.
And as for auto power off, I think it's more like sleep mode.

Dec 28, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #1,956 of 2,999
Hello everyone. I wanted to ask if these earphones don’t turn off completely? When I turn them off through the app, I hear through the earphones: the power is off, but if I leave the headphones in a case (with that paper gasket) or on a desk (auto power off) and if the headphones were charged to 90 percent in the evening before turning off, it will be just 50-60% in the morning. The headset only disconnects from the device, but consumes power itself.
What is the paper gasket ?
There is not supposed to be anything in the case except for the buds

Dec 28, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #1,957 of 2,999
The earphones came from the factory with this gasket in a case, to prevent the earphones from charging and discharging the case. This is how I understand the earphones turn off completely only if they not yet paired with any device.
Samsung Galaxy Buds + ir Soundpeats Sonic when pins not have contact in closed case shuting down completely. With Sony this is big problem. If Sony batteries are not immortal :frowning2:
Sorry for my english.

20211228_202116.jpg
20211228_202132.jpg

Dec 28, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #1,958 of 2,999
The earphones came from the factory with this gasket in a case, to prevent the earphones from charging and discharging the case. This is how I understand the earphones turn off completely only if they not yet paired with any device.
Samsung Galaxy Buds + ir Soundpeats Sonic when pins not have contact in closed case shuting down completely. With Sony this is big problem. If Sony batteries are not immortal :frowning2:
Sorry for my english.

20211228_202116.jpg20211228_202132.jpg
You should remove that white thing, otherwise the buds don't have contact with the case and won't charge and turn off. No battery is "immortal" and will degrade over time

Dec 28, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #1,959 of 2,999
Sorry for my english.

20211228_202116.jpg20211228_202132.jpg

Just throw away those paper, cause those are for shipping and storing only so that the XM4 doesn't run out of juice when they arrived at your doorstep.

Dec 28, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #1,960 of 2,999
I understand for what that gasket.
I just want my headphones to turn off completely. To not be in sleep or standby mode. How do I understand this is impossible. Although in the program turned on the auto-off , after 15 minutes earphones will only disconnect from the bluetooth, but do not turn off completely and continue to consume energy? If i push shutdown sign in app, earphones just disconecting and continue to consume energy? When "powered off" overnight they just lose 15-20% of their charge? Do you all have that?
Keeping them always in the case is the same as keeping the phone always connected to the charger, the charge has dropped to 99% and again charging to 100%. After all, lithium batteries have their own charge-discharge cycle.
Then i just sent back earphones to seller... Thank you all for a help.

Dec 28, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #1,961 of 2,999
I just want my headphones to turn off completely. To not be in sleep or standby mode. How do I understand this is impossible. Although in the program turned on the auto-off , after 15 minutes earphones will only disconnect from the bluetooth, but do not turn off completely and continue to consume energy? If i push shutdown sign in app, earphones just disconecting and continue to consume energy? When "powered off" overnight they just lose 15-20% of their charge? Do you all have that?
Keeping them always in the case is the same as keeping the phone always connected to the charger, the charge has dropped to 99% and again charging to 100%. After all, lithium batteries have their own charge-discharge cycle.
You are just supposed to put the buds in the case and let it do it’s work and not worry any more about it. That is probably how virtually all tws work so if that is not acceptable you’ll have to stick to wired iem

Dec 28, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #1,962 of 2,999
Both Azla Crystal and the Sony foam have a warmer sound compare to other tips, but the Sony ones have wider soundstage, better depth, and the bass digs deeper with better textures. Unfortunately the Sony foam is very uncomfortable (it's get itchy very quickly), soo they are the last option for me.

Here's my EQ for the Sony foam tips.
Screenshot_20211228-201131323.jpg
Thank you! Yes true, Sony foams get too itchy but I intend to give them more time hoping my ears will adjust, since I enjoy their sound, especially when they go as deep as possible inside the ear canal. I will also try the Crystal ones soon. Thanks as well for the eq suggestion!

Dec 28, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #1,963 of 2,999
Sony has very good intelligent charging. The xm4 will only discharge the battery in the case as much as needed and stop charging. The case will trickle charge the xm4 if needed. I have kept my xm4 in the case from a couple of days to a couple of weeks at a time after use and the batteries in the case never drains itself. I have some other bluetooth earphones that do not have any sort of intelligent charging and both the earphones and case battery will be completely discharged within a week.

Some Notes from the Sony xm4 Help Guide:
xm4 charging notes.jpg

There are several ways to turn off the xm4. Mainly put them back in the case and close the lid. See the note about closing the lid above or risk discharging the battery in the case much faster. It is also mentioned for longtime storage, to at least charge the case and xm4 every 6 months, that is a long time between 'maintenance' charges.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #1,964 of 2,999
Thank you! Yes true, Sony foams get too itchy but I intend to give them more time hoping my ears will adjust, since I enjoy their sound, especially when they go as deep as possible inside the ear canal. I will also try the Crystal ones soon. Thanks as well for the eq suggestion!

My pleasure!. You should try the Crystal if you don't mind with the more intimate soundstage or you could stick with the foam ones, but you are going to replace them every 3-4 months (depending on the usage), one more thing the foam tips have better timbres on the upper frequencies compared to the crystal.

Dec 29, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #1,965 of 2,999
Just a heads up guys/girls, I have been listening to the buds for 7 hours continuously (BMC Codec) without ANC and the Ambient mode enabled every so often.. The battery level has only dropped to 59% on the left and 56% on the right.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back