Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jul 27, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #961 of 2,999
New firmware available. Description seems to indicate it resolved the whoosh issue.

Ki37ly1.jpg

Jul 27, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #962 of 2,999
New firmware available. Description seems to indicate it resolved the whoosh issue.

Ki37ly1.jpg
Received the notification earlier, gonna update it in a bit!

Is the whoosh gone now for you?

Jul 27, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #965 of 2,999
I'll update later and report. I've been plagued by the whoosh issue, very annoying.

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #967 of 2,999
I also updated mine to 1.26. Connection seems way more stable when using LDAC. And no strangeness (whoosh?) whatsoever. NC seems more natural but just as good as before.

Jul 27, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #968 of 2,999
I don't know what kind of black magic Sony did but the update fixes the buggery and further improves on sound quality too. I'm hearing things I didn't hear before in songs I normally listen to -- mind blowing!

Jul 27, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #969 of 2,999
I have updated the FW as well and can confirm that I don’t experience the odd whooshing sound any longer. I am not sure if the SQ is really better, but it does seem to me to be a bit clearer, but that could be my imagination!

These continue to be my favorite TWS as a total package (compared to ADV M5 TWS, CA MT+, Status Audio Between Pro, Amazon Echo Buds v2, and the Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro and A2 NC). Perhaps the SQ is better on the ADV M5 TWS, CA MT, and Status Audio Between Pro, but as an entire product (in particular the EQ, speak to chat, and ANC) the XM4, for me are the clear winners.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #970 of 2,999
I bought the AirPods Pro a few days ago and returned them yesterday. I did not like sound quality from them and they kept falling out of my ears. I decided to order to WF-1000XM4 today and they should arrive by next week. It was a hard decision for me between the WH-1000XM4 and the WF-1000XM4. I think that I picked the right choice for now as I needed more of hybrid between a workout/indoor/work headphone or iem, even though I'm in the Apple ecosystem (iPhone 12, Apple TV 4k (2021), MacBook Air M1). I may pickup the WH-1000XM4 (still overpriced) or AirPods Max (still overpriced at current sale price) only for indoor use, when both of them have a good sale. I have questions on WF-1000XM4:
1. Are these compatible with Dolby Atmos or spatial audio in Apple Music?
2. Do you know if these would work with Dolby Atmos sound on movies for headphones when tvOS 15 gets released in a few months for the Apple TV?
3. Are they comfortable to wear and do they fall out from the ears?
4. Should I stick with foam ear tips or go with the silicon ear tips? If silicon ear tips, what ones should I get?
5. Should I enable DSEE extreme or leave it off for Apple Music?
6. Do I need to open the Sony headphone app on my iPhone each time when watching movies on my Apple TV 4K or listening music from my MacBook Air, or are the settings saved in the WF-1000XM4 from the app without using the Sony Headphone connect app?
7. Is there an audio delay with video on these?

Jul 27, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #971 of 2,999
I also don't hear the whooshing sound anymore when playback is paused. Props to Sony for fixing that pretty quickly.

I don't know if it's just me but I feel like the bass was tightened up. A thing that has bugged me about the XM4 is the boomy bass. I'm hearing more balance after the update. Anyone else hear this?

Jul 27, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #972 of 2,999
I also don't hear the whooshing sound anymore when playback is paused. Props to Sony for fixing that pretty quickly.

I don't know if it's just me but I feel like the bass was tightened up. A thing that has bugged me about the XM4 is the boomy bass. I'm hearing more balance after the update. Anyone else hear this?
I think the SQ over all is improved with greater clarity across the spectrum…. But, that could be my imagination!

Jul 27, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #974 of 2,999
I bought the AirPods Pro a few days ago and returned them yesterday. I did not like sound quality from them and they kept falling out of my ears. I decided to order to WF-1000XM4 today and they should arrive by next week. It was a hard decision for me between the WH-1000XM4 and the WF-1000XM4. I think that I picked the right choice for now as I needed more of hybrid between a workout/indoor/work headphone or iem, even though I'm in the Apple ecosystem (iPhone 12, Apple TV 4k (2021), MacBook Air M1). I may pickup the WH-1000XM4 (still overpriced) or AirPods Max (still overpriced at current sale price) only for indoor use, when both of them have a good sale. I have questions on WF-1000XM4:
1. Are these compatible with Dolby Atmos or spatial audio in Apple Music?
2. Do you know if these would work with Dolby Atmos sound on movies for headphones when tvOS 15 gets released in a few months for the Apple TV?
3. Are they comfortable to wear and do they fall out from the ears?
4. Should I stick with foam ear tips or go with the silicon ear tips? If silicon ear tips, what ones should I get?
5. Should I enable DSEE extreme or leave it off for Apple Music?
6. Do I need to open the Sony headphone app on my iPhone each time when watching movies on my Apple TV 4K or listening music from my MacBook Air, or are the settings saved in the WF-1000XM4 from the app without using the Sony Headphone connect app?
7. Is there an audio delay with video on these?
I will say that I do not own a pair currently, so I can only answer a limited number of questions:
  1. They are compatible with Dolby Atmos music in Apple Music, all headphones are actually, but you will not get head tracking in iOS 15 when that eventually releases.
  2. I don’t think the WF-1000XM4 has head tracking hardware built in. Dolby Atmos may still play through them if the headphones support it, but it would be up to the app you’re using to support that specifically. The WH-1000XM4 does, and the Dolby Atmos will work with Amazon Prime, though other 3rd party apps would need to add support for the WH-1000XM4 specifically for it to work; Apple TV (the app) probably never will though.
  3. Cannot answer
  4. Ear anatomies vary from person to person. What may work well with one person may not work well with others. Foam tips tend to isolate a lot better, but can have effects on SQ. Silicone tips with foam inside can help levitate some of the SQ issues, but can also fit weirdly too since they aren’t as malleable.
  5. Listen to both and decide. DSP can be seen as blasphemy by some audiophiles though I tend to welcome our digital overlords.
  6. If it works like the other Sony headphones I own, the settings should save to the headphones, so no need to reopen the app each time.
  7. Cannot answer
If you’re going to buy the WH-1000XM4 definitely wait for it to go on sale, it tends to hit 280 quite often. I expect the AirPods Max to drop in price come Black Friday as well. Though no one knows how low it can go compared to the most recent sale prices around 450.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back