Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jul 23, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #931 of 2,999
Listening to the M&D MW08 and it's a toss up between the two sound wise. Sound pretty much the same, with silicone tips on the XM4. Shame Sony went with foam/hybrids but it is what it is.

Also, on that note the AZLA tips started create a pressure, even after a short time. Remembered that the ePro Horn tips were mentioned before, dug through my tip collection and found one pair. Excellent all around.
Regarding the choice of foam/hybrids versus silicone, my guess it’s that Sony decided that since (a) sound preferences are subjective, and (b) they have a capable EQ in the Sony app, they would choose foam / hybrid tips that would help in the one area that would really stand out, passive and active noise cancellation. In my opinion they made the right choice if that was their logic…. Though I have replaced the foam tips with Sedna Crystal tips :)

Jul 23, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #932 of 2,999
Regarding the choice of foam/hybrids versus silicone, my guess it’s that Sony decided that since (a) sound preferences are subjective, and (b) they have a capable EQ in the Sony app, they would choose foam / hybrid tips that would help in the one area that would really stand out, passive and active noise cancellation. In my opinion they made the right choice if that was their logic…. Though I have replaced the foam tips with Sedna Crystal tips :)
I agree, I think that’s exactly why they went with the hybrid noise cancelling foam tips.

I have actually also come back to the stock tips after playing around with many others. You can definitely find better sounding ones than the stock tips but I have not found any (silicone ones) with similar passive noise cancelling capabilities.

Also, as you already mentioned, the EQ in the app really is capable enough to balance out the stock tuning with its very recessed highs. Right now, I am using the „treble boost“ setting and manually adjust the 6,3k slider down to +5 as well as the 16k slider down to +6, while leaving the 2,k slider at +2. That sounds very good or at least good enough for on the road while retaining the aforementioned benefits of the stock tips.

Jul 23, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #933 of 2,999
Listening to the M&D MW08 and it's a toss up between the two sound wise. Sound pretty much the same, with silicone tips on the XM4. Shame Sony went with foam/hybrids but it is what it is.

Also, on that note the AZLA tips started create a pressure, even after a short time. Remembered that the ePro Horn tips were mentioned before, dug through my tip collection and found one pair. Excellent all around.
Great to hear I was doing some a&b between these two tws and I was bit puzzled that I felt that they sounded the same and thought that I just was missing something so it's good to hear your experience

Jul 23, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #934 of 2,999
The EQ is a good point. I don't use it but both the B&W and M&D app do not have EQ, so Sony has that edge.

I am going to do A/B between stock tips and the ePro tips. ePro seemed to give me a more holographic sound. I don't use ANC either and couldn't hear a TV that was fairly loud inside my house, they go deep so I'm sure that helps with the isolation as well.

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #935 of 2,999
Okay, I get the comfort part when it comes to tip rolling with these but what I don't get is, given that there is digital processing on the sound anyway, wouldn't it be possible to get them to sound similar (within error margin) with some EQing¿
Maybe I'm just not experienced enough to say but it seems like a logical choice if you'd like to keep the stock tips for the isolation.
That's purely from a SQ point of view tho, not comfort while wearing point of view.

Jul 23, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #936 of 2,999
Okay, I get the comfort part when it comes to tip rolling with these but what I don't get is, given that there is digital processing on the sound anyway, wouldn't it be possible to get them to sound similar (within error margin) with some EQing¿
Maybe I'm just not experienced enough to say but it seems like a logical choice if you'd like to keep the stock tips for the isolation.
That's purely from a SQ point of view tho, not comfort while wearing point of view.
I generally don't EQ, I have played with it a bit last week. Not sure if my mind was playing tricks on me but boosted the top end and sounded good, turned EQ off and the volume got noticeably louder so I stuck with EQ off as it sounded great still.

Jul 23, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #937 of 2,999
Not Sony's fault due to my right ear is difficult to get a great seal with the way some IEMs are built but, I have now invested 70 dollars trying to find the right ear bud tip. The odd part to is I'm not sure I'm going to keep these yet. I'm glad I have a 60 day return on these.

Jul 23, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #938 of 2,999
I generally don't EQ, I have played with it a bit last week. Not sure if my mind was playing tricks on me but boosted the top end and sounded good, turned EQ off and the volume got noticeably louder so I stuck with EQ off as it sounded great still.
Often turning EQ on will lower the volume by as much as the max +dB you can eq to prevent clipping

Jul 23, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #940 of 2,999
Not Sony's fault due to my right ear is difficult to get a great seal with the way some IEMs are built but, I have now invested 70 dollars trying to find the right ear bud tip. The odd part to is I'm not sure I'm going to keep these yet. I'm glad I have a 60 day return on these.
Tried spinfit?

Jul 23, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #941 of 2,999
The volume I play crank it up all the way. I just hear less than 50% volume. I just can't figure it out listen lesser volume...
I don’t think I’ve ever had to over 50% no matter what environment U’ve been in with either XM3 or XM4 from an iPhone

Jul 23, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #943 of 2,999
I don’t think I’ve ever had to over 50% no matter what environment U’ve been in with either XM3 or XM4 from an iPhone
Right I'm with xm4 and Android. I've been using outside environment..like air field..inside the bus..when quiet environment still not satisfied with volume..I guess it's just me..

Jul 24, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #944 of 2,999
Right I'm with xm4 and Android. I've been using outside environment..like air field..inside the bus..when quiet environment still not satisfied with volume..I guess it's just me..
In a quiet environment I’m at 30%, 40-50% is in planes, trains and busses. This with SpiralDot++ tips

Jul 24, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #945 of 2,999
You might want to go into Android settings and disable absolute Bluetooth volume. That works sometimes. Also make sure the volume in your music app is maxed out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back