Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 23, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #646 of 2,999
Hats off to anyone pointing out lack of multipoint is a nail to the coffin while Andros themselves are not exactly multipoint capable 🤔

Alright, that one amused me, I have to say :D

Jun 23, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #647 of 2,999
Bought both the XM4 and the Galaxy Buds Pro to upgrade from my original Galaxy Buds.

Unfortunately I think both are going back and I'll stick with the OG Galaxy Buds. The only thing I use them for is working out so sound quality is not the biggest priority. The FR of the Galaxy Buds Pro is better out of the box than the XM4, everything else about the XM4 is superior (it clearly has better technicalities, just don't prefer the sound, EQ is enough to fix). Neither one is a king of comfort, but at least the XM4 stays in my ears. The Galaxy Buds Pro stays fine until I start a run and the left bud slowly works it's way out, I'm also constantly fighting to get a seal, even with some foam tips I bought on Amazon. I was at the beach last week and ended up just taking it out completely after a mile for fear it might fall into the ocean, lol. The XM4 is certainly more comfortable after some initial pain the first few days, but when running the top of the housing tends to wiggle and bounce a bit which is simply bothersome. The largest tip just barely seals, so this wiggling is enough to break the seal, various silicon tips seem to hold seal but then this wiggling is worse. The specific wind reduction option on the XM4 was absolutely amazing on the rather windy beach btw, could obviously still hear the wind, but it was quite reduced.

When I'm wearing buds working out or running, comfort and stability is really the only thing I care too much about. Alas, I was hoping an upgraded set would make me want to use them more than just that, unfortunately I don't think it's worth it for me on either one. I'm tempted to hang onto the Galaxy Buds Pro as I see Azla has just released Crystal tips for them, but shipping would be a while and there's no guarantee it would fix my issue.
Those AZLA are the first silicones I tried, nozzle go almost out the bud but that's ok, it was the pain after 30 min that got to me

Jun 23, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #648 of 2,999
Bad news...my right side has no audio.
Not sure what happened...was off balance (left louder than right) and then no sound.
Still touch functions working and still detected by app and charges as usual.
Will be contacting Sony soon.
Heya, try a case reset, that worked for me! Put both in the case connect to power via USB C and open and close the lid 5 or 6 times very fast until you see a red light, one it stops flashing it will have finished the reset and they should be good to go.

Jun 24, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #649 of 2,999
Battery status after 3 1/2 hours from iPhone with aac, anc and eq but with automatic environment sensing, dseex and wind detection disabled. After such a trip I would have had low battery warning on the XM3.

And the anc is at least as effective as the XM3 after rush hour (though still corona reduced) traffic in several trains and busses. Never had to have the volume above 40%.

0C9B6BA2-A4DC-4834-9276-96EF1EBB077B.jpeg

How's the sound quality? Any significant improvement over the XM3?

I've heard of certain QOL such as wind sound, smaller case, longer ANC battery life...etc.

Jun 24, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #650 of 2,999
My cp360s arrived - currently so far so good. Need a bit of fitting onto the XM4s, but happy with the sound and fit. I'm using Mediums and shame they don't have a size in between M and L, but until my SpiralDots arrive, I think they'll be my favourites with the XM3 silicone as second.

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #651 of 2,999
How's the sound quality? Any significant improvement over the XM3?

I've heard of certain QOL such as wind sound, smaller case, longer ANC battery life...etc.
On the move in traffic with various levels of ambient noise I don’t detect much sq difference between XM3 and XM4. At home the addition of ldac so I can use it with A55 makes a noticable difference but that was never a main intended use.

The main benefits for me is a much smaller case in the pocket, a smaller better fitting bud (though I never really had any problems with the XM3) and much better battery time. Also the XM4 seems to be slightly less affected by wind noise (without using the battery sucking wind noise reduction) but when out in wind I usually just turn anc off.

With a tws first priority for me was never sq. They have to sound ok but getting rid of the wires, effective anc and good battery life are number 1, 2 and 3 here.

98% of my use is listening to music or audio books while on the go and I hardly ever take calls or do online meetings so the mic is also not a high priority but it is better on XM4.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #653 of 2,999
Does anyone know where I can buy replacement foam tips? Same ones that came with the earbuds. Mine broke after a week of use, they were supposed to last for a year.
Links have been supplied in this thread to the US provider Encompass

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #654 of 2,999
Does anyone know where I can buy replacement foam tips? Same ones that came with the earbuds. Mine broke after a week of use, they were supposed to last for a year.
That's been my experience with most foam tips. Which is why I never use them anymore (that and because I don't like that stuffed socks feeling in my ears).

Jun 24, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #655 of 2,999
That's been my experience with most foam tips. Which is why I never use them anymore (that and because I don't like that stuffed socks feeling in my ears).
Yea, I would use silicone tips but they don't isolate noise enough for me. Unfortunately.

Usually foam tips last at least a month for me so these were disappointing. Very happy with earbuds otherwise.

Jun 24, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #656 of 2,999
May be u wanna try this....

FOr those who using silicon tips and find that the isolation is not that good... can try this mod... Previously been using dual flange tips from meelectronic and they are really fantastic until i come across JVC spiral dot tips.
They sound much better but isolation is very poor...since i have some comply foam tips to play around i remove the inner plastic core and squeeze them into the JVC tips..

As time u use the foam got deteriorate and started to tear...and comply tips are expensive sia...so TOday went diaso to get the following...

3 pair of foam tips and hole puncher..

Jun 24, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #657 of 2,999
Amazon of Japan just charged me for my XM4 buds. They'll arrive within the next couple of days. I CAN wait to get them because I'll appreciate them that much more. Looking forward to their beautiful sound signature that I experienced at Sony Ginza

Jun 24, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #659 of 2,999
Do you have a link to those or something? I've been wondering how would dual flange tips compare to the stock ones, any thoughts on that?
Dual flange tips does isolated noise even better then single flange tips. It need to be insert deeper. Some might find it uncomfortable. My advice is get the jvc spiral dot tips and insert some foam. They are more comfortable, sound way better and isolate noise better. I even tried spinfit, AZLA Xelastec tips, and many many others tips... None sound as good as jvc spiral dots... Comfort wise too.

https://www.meeaudio.com/standard-50mm-eartips/

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #660 of 2,999
I did have a couple glitches this week. No sound out of the left bud when I started to play music. Pausing the music and playing again, voila, all good. Strange though.

I'm using the tips below and the EQ below for some days now with zero impulse to try to change the sound. It just sounds good with my master playlist where I bust out little dance moves and hum along to the music. Like my MTW2 these don't go loud enough. I want like a notch or two more of volume. Of all the TWS I tried, the only ones with that extra bit of volume were the MT. The Technics and JVC Club Pro Plus also are that notch or two below what I want.

Screenshot_20210624-114435 (Medium).png

PXL_20210624_155909285 (Medium).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back