Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 22, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #631 of 3,023
Bought both the XM4 and the Galaxy Buds Pro to upgrade from my original Galaxy Buds.

Unfortunately I think both are going back and I'll stick with the OG Galaxy Buds. The only thing I use them for is working out so sound quality is not the biggest priority. The FR of the Galaxy Buds Pro is better out of the box than the XM4, everything else about the XM4 is superior (it clearly has better technicalities, just don't prefer the sound, EQ is enough to fix). Neither one is a king of comfort, but at least the XM4 stays in my ears. The Galaxy Buds Pro stays fine until I start a run and the left bud slowly works it's way out, I'm also constantly fighting to get a seal, even with some foam tips I bought on Amazon. I was at the beach last week and ended up just taking it out completely after a mile for fear it might fall into the ocean, lol. The XM4 is certainly more comfortable after some initial pain the first few days, but when running the top of the housing tends to wiggle and bounce a bit which is simply bothersome. The largest tip just barely seals, so this wiggling is enough to break the seal, various silicon tips seem to hold seal but then this wiggling is worse. The specific wind reduction option on the XM4 was absolutely amazing on the rather windy beach btw, could obviously still hear the wind, but it was quite reduced.

When I'm wearing buds working out or running, comfort and stability is really the only thing I care too much about. Alas, I was hoping an upgraded set would make me want to use them more than just that, unfortunately I don't think it's worth it for me on either one. I'm tempted to hang onto the Galaxy Buds Pro as I see Azla has just released Crystal tips for them, but shipping would be a while and there's no guarantee it would fix my issue.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #632 of 3,023
Try Spiral Dot tips. These are now my go-to for comfort and seal on the XM4. Also, you really want to be using LDAC to test SQ. Anything less and you're hearing half the sound.
Already switched to ldac. Getting good seals with most tips, just gotta find the ones that give me the best longer term comfort.

Jun 22, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #633 of 3,023
After a couple of weeks with the XM4s, my review with comparisons to some other top tier TWS.

I think the stock tune is an odd choice TBH, too dark for my tastes and I think for most tastes. But, the facts that (1) the EQ gets written into the XM4 ear pieces and follows the XM4s regardless of whether or not they're connected to a device with the app, and (2) there's no sacrifice in Bluetooth quality when using the EQ means that the stock tuning woes are pretty much self-solvable. My EQ settings:
  • 2.5kHz: +5
  • 6.3.kHz: +2
  • 16kHz: +2
(If you want to keep it simple, the preset "Treble Boost" EQ is pretty close.)

I also like the XM4s better with Final E-type tips, both for fit and sound -- despite their reputation for neutering treble, the E-type tips bring some mid treble and air frequencies back into the mix. Here's how the FR changes between stock and my EQ + Final tips.

https://squig.link/?share=Super_Review_Target,Sony_WF-1000XM4_(ANC_on),Sony_WF-1000XM4_(MRS_config)

graph (53).png

With these changes... I really quite like the sound of the XM4s. Still a warm, full-bodied tonality, but the DD in this thing has the technical chops to pull it off without sounding muddy. Midrange resolution is way above average for TWS, and treble quality is IMO outstanding (once you boost it and can hear it).

I also made some comparisons with the XM3s, Galaxy Buds+, and AirPods Pro. The short version is that IMO the XM4s are a straight upgrade over the XM3s, but Buds+ and APP and XM4 all trade blows in different categories. APP are most convenient. Buds+ pretty competitive in sound (and at half the price now). XM4s are my favorite for music.

Jun 22, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #634 of 3,023
Jun 23, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #635 of 3,023
Bought both the XM4 and the Galaxy Buds Pro to upgrade from my original Galaxy Buds.

Unfortunately I think both are going back and I'll stick with the OG Galaxy Buds. The only thing I use them for is working out so sound quality is not the biggest priority. The FR of the Galaxy Buds Pro is better out of the box than the XM4, everything else about the XM4 is superior (it clearly has better technicalities, just don't prefer the sound, EQ is enough to fix). Neither one is a king of comfort, but at least the XM4 stays in my ears. The Galaxy Buds Pro stays fine until I start a run and the left bud slowly works it's way out, I'm also constantly fighting to get a seal, even with some foam tips I bought on Amazon. I was at the beach last week and ended up just taking it out completely after a mile for fear it might fall into the ocean, lol. The XM4 is certainly more comfortable after some initial pain the first few days, but when running the top of the housing tends to wiggle and bounce a bit which is simply bothersome. The largest tip just barely seals, so this wiggling is enough to break the seal, various silicon tips seem to hold seal but then this wiggling is worse. The specific wind reduction option on the XM4 was absolutely amazing on the rather windy beach btw, could obviously still hear the wind, but it was quite reduced.

When I'm wearing buds working out or running, comfort and stability is really the only thing I care too much about. Alas, I was hoping an upgraded set would make me want to use them more than just that, unfortunately I don't think it's worth it for me on either one. I'm tempted to hang onto the Galaxy Buds Pro as I see Azla has just released Crystal tips for them, but shipping would be a while and there's no guarantee it would fix my issue.
Interesting. I have both as well. prefer the xm4 sound for music over the buds pro. Decided to keep people for gaming on my Samsung galaxy fold 2. Found out how to nearly eliminate all latency while gaming by turning on buds gaming mode and toggling the A2dp hardware offload in Developer settings. Gun shots are close enough as well as grenade explosions, jumps, etc. to no longer be noticeable

Jun 23, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #636 of 3,023
Battery status after 3 1/2 hours from iPhone with aac, anc and eq but with automatic environment sensing, dseex and wind detection disabled. After such a trip I would have had low battery warning on the XM3.

And the anc is at least as effective as the XM3 after rush hour (though still corona reduced) traffic in several trains and busses. Never had to have the volume above 40%.

0C9B6BA2-A4DC-4834-9276-96EF1EBB077B.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #637 of 3,023
DSEEX is a real killer on the battery life - to be expected I guess but I really like it, just need to remember to turn it off when I'm listening to podcasts and for calls.

Jun 23, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #638 of 3,023
I tried the SpinFits, which I had on hand, and then the JVC EP-FX10 Spiral Dots, which arrived yesterday via Amazon. I like the latter best, because they do tighten up the bass and raise the level of the highs, although I'm experimenting with ANC and some treble EQ from either the XM4 or my WM1A (using LDAC, of course). I had ordered the ePros (two versions) but am sending them back to Amazon, unopened, given the performance of the Spiral Dots and the other comments in this thread. Hopefully the Spiral Dots will remain comfortable for long listening sessions past 30 minutes.

The small SpinFits and the small-medium Spiral Dots are comparable in size to the small Sony tips. The Spiral Dots are the easiest tips to use get a proper seal, per the Sony app.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #639 of 3,023
Battery status after 3 1/2 hours from iPhone with aac, anc and eq but with automatic environment sensing, dseex and wind detection disabled. After such a trip I would have had low battery warning on the XM3.

And the anc is at least as effective as the XM3 after rush hour (though still corona reduced) traffic in several trains and busses. Never had to have the volume above 40%.

0C9B6BA2-A4DC-4834-9276-96EF1EBB077B.jpeg
And on the return 2 1/2 hours trip this time with also dseex enabled. Essentially 1 hour less with the same battery consumption. To me, at least in transport, dseex don’t make any noticeable sound difference.

CD435D0C-3C5C-440B-A301-CE4287FEEBF8.jpeg

Jun 23, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #640 of 3,023
The small SpinFits and the small-medium Spiral Dots are comparable in size to the small Sony tips. The Spiral Dots are the easiest tips to use get a proper seal, per the Sony app.

Ah, thank you good sir. I was just about to ask if anyone could do a comparison with size. I'm about to get some Spiral dots for myself. Good to know I should be getting the M size.

Jun 23, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #642 of 3,023
Have an issue with mine after the update to 1.1.5.
They will struggle to connect to the phone. Sometimes they will connect no problem, other times they connect, disconnect and try again and then make white noise.
I’m replacing them. I did not love them at first but the combination of epro EP01 tips and EQ off somehow sounds really great and they are the most comfortable pair I have (maybe the 85t is better - but does not sound as good).
I wish there was a way for fix this as I don’t want to be without them right now…
THIS! Anyone else having issues with connection when removing them from case & very loud white noise? More often than not, both buds will not connect on first try. At least 1/2 of the time when connection fails, I'll get white noise from one bud or the other, but never both at same time. Put the white noise bud back in case, close it, take it back out - still buzzing. Have to leave it in case for 15 seconds or more. Even when I don't get the noise, many times still have to go into bluetooth settings and tell it to connect. Have reset buds multiple times, does not help. Performed update before using, so not sure if problem existed previously. Using iPhone 12.

Jun 23, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #643 of 3,023
Anyone else having issues with connection when removing them from case & very loud white noise? More often than not, both buds will not connect on first try. At least 1/2 of the time when connection fails, I'll get white noise from one bud or the other, but never both at same time. Put the white noise bud back in case, close it, take it back out - still buzzing. Have to leave it in case for 15 seconds or more. Even when I don't get the noise, many times still have to go into bluetooth settings and tell it to connect. Have reset buds multiple times, does not help. Performed update before using, so not sure if problem existed previously. Using iPhone 12.
The problem with them not receiving sound even though the iPhone has detected them and the Sony app having detected them and then having to put them back into the case I’ve had occasionally through 2 years and all fw versions on the XM3. Not yet experienced it with the XM4.

Jun 23, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #645 of 3,023
THIS! Anyone else having issues with connection when removing them from case & very loud white noise? More often than not, both buds will not connect on first try. At least 1/2 of the time when connection fails, I'll get white noise from one bud or the other, but never both at same time. Put the white noise bud back in case, close it, take it back out - still buzzing. Have to leave it in case for 15 seconds or more. Even when I don't get the noise, many times still have to go into bluetooth settings and tell it to connect. Have reset buds multiple times, does not help. Performed update before using, so not sure if problem existed previously. Using iPhone 12.
I wanted to replace them but did not want to be without, so spoke to Sony about returning those and getting new ones.
They are back ordered so I was waiting to send those back till I get the news ones.
I don’t know what I played with but the issue went away for me. Right now they work as in the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back