Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 21, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #601 of 2,999
Is it a fit issue with the spinfits? I have the EP01 and they're decent -- bring out the mids and treble a bit more, but seem to introduce a bit of grain in the process. I wish they went slightly deeper, but the XM4s sit almost flush with my ears. Sadly there's too much difference between the EPro M and L size to get a better fit (M too small, L slightly too large).
Yep, same issue I had with the EPros. M too small, L too big, not much seal.
That‘s me out considering about 50% of my listening is full cast audiobooks and comedies.
I wouldn't write it off based on sporadic and isolated incidents. I've had no issues at all with spoken make voices in videos so far. And...just for a quick test, I've sampled three different male spoken podcasts: a life coach, some Comedy Central with Trevor Noah and a male guest, and even a political podcast. Not hearing any issues with these vocals at all. Some come across as slightly compressed, but that's the recording quality and compression more than the actual vocals. But most sound absolutely natural and fine.

Jun 21, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #602 of 2,999
That‘s me out considering about 50% of my listening is full cast audiobooks and comedies.
I’ve had absolutely no problems with Audible audiobooks

Jun 21, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #603 of 2,999
SpinFits hardly provide any isolation and the sound to my ears is just wrong. SpiralDots are so far the way to go, I will try the EP00's today.
I’m on SpinFit 100’s at the moment since I’m out of my Final Audio E tips, but the SpinFits sound fine to me and does decent isolation

Jun 21, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #604 of 2,999
Hmm I tend to listen to a lot of podcasts and that would certainly be a use case for me.

Hopefully I'll be getting my pair in a couple days and I'll give it a try and see if I hear what others are reporting.

Jun 21, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #605 of 2,999
Ok, I will drop in here first. So if anyone read my Quick review article you will see that I am in the process of updating some notable EQ impressions. Though only today I have finished composing the target response of all of the EQ Profile here. My impression on the EQ profile will be done this week
You can view these graph through my graph tool: https://banbeu.com/graph/tool/?share=Sony_WF-1000XM4_(Noise_canceling)

But, I will post the full image here anyway. Here it goes

graph - 2021-06-22T021956.571.png

Here are several interesting points of observation.
First and foremost, some of you might have aware of @MRSallee having his own XM4 on his measurement database, and he measured these EQ profiles too. Well, apparently, both of us had some difference that is quite... significant

graph - 2021-06-22T021949.428.png

The first thing that comes to my mind, is the firmware. Though after measuring these today I didn't check the XM4 firmware that I have, so my apologies for that. I will check it this week anyway.

That said, I will stick with my current measurement EQ for now. Here is some other interesting stuff.
First thing first. The treble boost EQ, which surprisingly, looks similar to the Harman Target
graph - 2021-06-22T022334.293.png

Another profile that I found interesting upon observation is the Bright EQ profile. Which seem close to Diffuse Field
graph - 2021-06-22T030354.376.png

If anything, I think Sony does know what they are doing with the XM4 here, that or this is just a coincidence. I am currently finishing my EQ impression portion to put in my quick review by the end of this week, hopefully, something interesting might come up.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #606 of 2,999
Ok, so I'm not the most knowledgeable in this stuff, but it appears that the default EQ ("off") is close to harman 2019? It's a bit warmer/darker than what I'm used to in full sized headphones. Why such a big difference?

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #607 of 2,999
Ok, so I'm not the most knowledgeable in this stuff, but it appears that the default EQ ("off") is close to harman 2019? It's a bit warmer/darker than what I'm used to in full sized headphones. Why such a big difference?
Not really, the treble boosts is the one closer to Harman 2019.
This data just came today so I have been wondering why there is such a difference between the unit I demoed with the one MRS has.

His one also have less treble than mine (We both measure on stock tip this time FYI)

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #609 of 2,999
Streamed NPR again today for like 30 min. LDAC adaptive, dsee off, tried with ANC on and off and ambient sound. It was all talk radio, mostly female voices. I heard that metallic dinging sound maybe like 5 times total. Whereas yesterday, it was happening a lot. Many times every minute.

Very weird.

Jun 21, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #610 of 2,999
I’m on SpinFit 100’s at the moment since I’m out of my Final Audio E tips, but the SpinFits sound fine to me and does decent isolation
You know I never thought about trying final E until your post. Normally I take medium, but they’re on the Z1Rs so tried L and surprisingly fit well - a tad of suction but good seal.

They’re sounding amazing - better than the XM3 silicone even without EQ. The bright setting EQ-ed a bit down on the top end with a bit of clear bass was also good. But I think DSEEX is the key to sound improvements.

Spinfits due later this week to compare against, but I think progress being made on tip rolling!

Jun 21, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #611 of 2,999
Here are several interesting points of observation.
First and foremost, some of you might have aware of @MRSallee having his own XM4 on his measurement database, and he measured these EQ profiles too. Well, apparently, both of us had some difference that is quite... significant
This is...extremely interesting. Is it something to do with the fit/insertion in the test rig? It certainly confirms my impressions that I much prefer the Treble EQ, even over anything I could customize. MrSallee's measurements show an improvement with that EQ, but not as drastic a change as your measurements do...hmm

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #612 of 2,999
This is...extremely interesting. Is it something to do with the fit/insertion in the test rig? It certainly confirms my impressions that I much prefer the Treble EQ, even over anything I could customize. MrSallee's measurements show an improvement with that EQ, but not as drastic a change as your measurements do...hmm
Both of us have similar methodology. As MRS also keeps resonance peak at 8kHz

The EQ presets are defined in the app also. After conversation with a guy who currently own the XM4 he also told me his listening impression is closer to my measurements. So :shrug:

Jun 21, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #613 of 2,999
For this weird issue with spoken word. I would try using AAC instead of LDAC or possibly SBC. It sounds counter intuitive but possibly is an issue with a super high end codec t playing lower resolution sources which most podcasts and audible formats are.

Jun 21, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #614 of 2,999
For this weird issue with spoken word. I would try using AAC instead of LDAC or possibly SBC. It sounds counter intuitive but possibly is an issue with a super high end codec t playing lower resolution sources which most podcasts and audible formats are.
I tried AAC, LDAC, and SBC alike with the same source and didn't notice a difference, unfortunately. :frowning2:

Jun 21, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #615 of 2,999
I tried AAC, LDAC, and SBC alike with the same source and didn't notice a difference, unfortunately. :frowning2:
I’m experiencing this issue as well, a metallic pinging sound on my right earbud during dialogue. First noticed it while watching The Good Place on Netflix, but then it stopped/I stopped noticing it a few episodes later. I’ve watched a few YouTube videos since then without the issue. Now, a few days later, I’m hearing it again while in a Webex meeting. I haven’t been able to successfully get the latest update to work, so I’m not sure if that fixes anything. Let me know if I can try out any methods, but at this point it’s not something I can seem to replicate or at least notice at all times, but it’s present and kind of annoying.

On a side note, for anyone experiencing comfort issues, try out different eartips. The stock ones were causing my ears to burn, but after switching to SpinFit CP360s it’s much much more comfortable. Just ordered some Spiral Dots as well after seeing everyone’s feedback about those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back