Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 21, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #616 of 2,999
Got these over the weekend. Haven't been a big TWS fan, started to try and use my Advanced Sound Model X from a few years ago again and couldn't do it.

These are fantastic. Quick to pair, Fit comfortable and sound great. Been using stock foam and switched to the AZLA Xelastec TWS which I had bought for the Adv tonight. Does seem to open up the top end a bit. I run LDAC, DSEE and ANC off.

EDIT: Those started getting a bit uncomfy after 30 min. Found my pair of Spiral Dot 2. Stickying with these for now.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #617 of 2,999
Ok revised thoughts on Final E - NOT a fan, passive isolation is not good, not comfy and now stuck with them today! CP360s due in today or tomorrow - if they fail, then back to the XM3 stock silicone until my spiral dots arrive.

Jun 22, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #618 of 2,999
Seems like Spinfits CPXXX and Spiral dot are the best Silicon tips. Anyone tried both brands with the xm4 and could do some feedback on the sound/comfort/isolation? Currently on the fence about which ones to get

I just got the XM4 and I tried various tips. I actually think that the Spinfits and the Spiral dot are the best tips! The Spiral dot are a bit "warmer", but furthermore bright and crispy and I like it more, it sounds more like the Campfire Andromeda (with custom EQ), the Spinfits fits better for me, but the vocals are not so present as with the Spiral dot.

Attachments

• IMG_0095.PNG
    IMG_0095.PNG
    252.8 KB · Views: 0
Jun 22, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #619 of 2,999
I feel really dumb. How do I get/keep LDAC on my Galaxy Tab 7+? If I enable Developer Options and chang the Bluetooth Audio Codec to LDAC (I am able to do that), and then go into the Sony app, it still says AAC across the top. Whe I go back into Developer Options in the settings of my Samsung, it has immediately reverted back to AAC. Any thoughts?

Jun 22, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #620 of 2,999
I feel really dumb. How do I get/keep LDAC on my Galaxy Tab 7+? If I enable Developer Options and chang the Bluetooth Audio Codec to LDAC (I am able to do that), and then go into the Sony app, it still says AAC across the top. Whe I go back into Developer Options in the settings of my Samsung, it has immediately reverted back to AAC. Any thoughts?
You need to go into your Android settings, Bluetooth, XM4, and make sure Best Sound Quality is selected. Should look something like this:

Screenshot_20210618-163128_cropped.png

Jun 22, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #621 of 2,999
Bad news...my right side has no audio.
Not sure what happened...was off balance (left louder than right) and then no sound.
Still touch functions working and still detected by app and charges as usual.
Will be contacting Sony soon.

Jun 22, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #624 of 2,999
In Japan, E-Earphone had the XM4 since last Wednesday so I have been spending my time going to the place constantly. Managed to waste several days just to write an article out of.
This is my quick review of the XM4, hopefully, this can be informative to some:
https://banbeu.com/sony-wf-1000xm4-quick-review-the-xm4-curse/

IMG20210620185000.jpg
Just a heads up, I have updated the article with my impression of the XM4's EQ preset for someone interested, cheers.

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #625 of 2,999
After more listening I've switched from epro EP01 to Spiral dots. I enjoyed the epro, but noticed a large difference in low end output between ANC on and off. With the Spiral dots, I get a different overall seal, so the difference isn't as big, and the treble response isn't negatively affected as it is with tips like the Final E. I guess I'll be saving the epro tips for Campfire Solaris.

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #626 of 2,999
After more listening I've switched from epro EP01 to Spiral dots. I enjoyed the epro, but noticed a large difference in low end output between ANC on and off. With the Spiral dots, I get a different overall seal, so the difference isn't as big, and the treble response isn't negatively affected as it is with tips like the Final E. I guess I'll be saving the epro tips for Campfire Solaris.
I'm trying Spiral dots tonight in place of Final E and SpinFits and am liking the result.

Tomorrow I'll have 2 x 4 hours on trains and busses to give the anc a propper workout

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #627 of 2,999
Jun 22, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #628 of 2,999
Jun 22, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #629 of 2,999
Just got mine in a little while ago.

First pair of tws I have had. Actually kind of surprised that they stay in my ear just fine. Kind of crazy not to have any wires.

Gotta do some tip rolling, for comfort. They are comfortable at first, but definitely noticed some pressure points popping up pretty quickly. Hopefully I can find something that seals well and alleviates pressure points.

Sound isn't going to win any awards compared to a lot of the high end stuff we discuss on these forums, but I am finding them quite pleasant and enjoyable. Happy to report I have heard none of the ringing being discussed when playing speaking (podcasts mainly).

ANC is crazy. So weird to just be able to turn outside noise basically on and off.

I can see these being an easy pick for out and about.

Edit: is it normal to hear kind of a rumbling when turning ambient sound completely off and nothing is playing?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #630 of 2,999
Just got mine in a little while ago.

First pair of tws I have had. Actually kind of surprised that they stay in my ear just fine. Kind of crazy not to have any wires.

Gotta do some tip rolling, for comfort. They are comfortable at first, but definitely noticed some pressure points popping up pretty quickly. Hopefully I can find something that seals well and alleviates pressure points.

Sound isn't going to win any awards compared to a lot of the high end stuff we discuss on these forums, but I am finding them quite pleasant and enjoyable. Happy to report I have heard none of the ringing being discussed when playing speaking (podcasts mainly).

ANC is crazy. So weird to just be able to turn outside noise basically on and off.

I can see these being an easy pick for out and about.

Edit: is it normal to hear kind of a rumbling when turning ambient sound completely off and nothing is playing?
Try Spiral Dot tips. These are now my go-to for comfort and seal on the XM4. Also, you really want to be using LDAC to test SQ. Anything less and you're hearing half the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back