Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 21, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #586 of 2,999
It also sounds like sometimes the ANC "pops" and deactivates for a split second. Not sure if this is a bug or just a problem with my pair. Guess I'll have to do more testing.
It’s not just you. Same happens to me. Happens with both original and updated firmware.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #591 of 2,999
Oh man, there's some construction going on and, thanks to the noise canceling, I can barely hear it. So peaceful.
Same, unexpected construction, sort of lucky i had these at hand!

Jun 21, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #592 of 2,999
Spiral Dot user here. Fit is superb, comfort is superb (can wear them all day and they sit flush against my ear). Sound is excellent, opens up the mids and treble while keeping bass nice and tight. Definitely my preferred choice for the XM4 out of the dozen or so tips I own. Also helps that it looks like it was made for the XM4...even the seam is consistent with the shell design!

PSX_20210621_132223.jpg
How is isolation though? Have you tried the Spinfits as well? Thanks for your reply by the way! Much appreciated

Jun 21, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #593 of 2,999
Can you please.post a link to a podcast or sound file with timestamp so that others can check this out? Or Dropbox a small file.
Unfortunately, I don't have the XM4 anymore, so can't narrow down a reproducible test snippet. Additionally, all the podcasts I was listening to during my testing window were political in nature and I don't want to dox myself. Using Google Podcasts, I listened to four different popular podcast series, from different creators, and all four had this issue with male speech. That said, it sounds (pun intended!) like I'm not alone on this one and a few other folks have now also reported this issue.

Jun 21, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #594 of 2,999
Speak to chat is causing some issues on my unit, since the update when I'm connected with LDAC to the Samsung Tab 7 and the functi9n activates one of 2 things happens, it either disconnects or the left side stops playing, I get the system sounds but no audio at all, to solve the left side stop sounding I have to either disconnect and reconnect or engage speak to chat again and hope it sorts itself or it disconnects...

Jun 21, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #595 of 2,999
SpinFits hardly provide any isolation and the sound to my ears is just wrong. SpiralDots are so far the way to go, I will try the EP00's today.

Jun 21, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #596 of 2,999
Spiral Dot user here. Fit is superb, comfort is superb (can wear them all day and they sit flush against my ear). Sound is excellent, opens up the mids and treble while keeping bass nice and tight. Definitely my preferred choice for the XM4 out of the dozen or so tips I own. Also helps that it looks like it was made for the XM4...even the seam is consistent with the shell design!

PSX_20210621_132223.jpg
How do these tips impact the ANC? Are they as good as the stock tips in that regard?

Jun 21, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #597 of 2,999
How do these tips impact the ANC? Are they as good as the stock tips in that regard?
Nothing is going to block sound as efficiently as foam tips for passive isolation. So no, they're not as effective as the foam, but they sound much better and are also more comfortable, two things I prioritise over absolute silence. To be fair I don't travel with these (yet) so haven't tested the ANC on commutes, but it very effectively blocks out my keyboard clicks while I'm working, and my wife is even less impressed that I can't hear her talking from across the house! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jun 21, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #598 of 2,999
SpinFits hardly provide any isolation and the sound to my ears is just wrong. SpiralDots are so far the way to go, I will try the EP00's today.

Is it a fit issue with the spinfits? I have the EP01 and they're decent -- bring out the mids and treble a bit more, but seem to introduce a bit of grain in the process. I wish they went slightly deeper, but the XM4s sit almost flush with my ears. Sadly there's too much difference between the EPro M and L size to get a better fit (M too small, L slightly too large).

Jun 21, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #599 of 2,999
Unfortunately, I don't have the XM4 anymore, so can't narrow down a reproducible test snippet. Additionally, all the podcasts I was listening to during my testing window were political in nature and I don't want to dox myself. Using Google Podcasts, I listened to four different popular podcast series, from different creators, and all four had this issue with male speech. That said, it sounds (pun intended!) like I'm not alone on this one and a few other folks have now also reported this issue.
That‘s me out considering about 50% of my listening is full cast audiobooks and comedies.

Jun 21, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #600 of 2,999

Users who are viewing this thread

Back