Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #481 of 2,999
I went thru this same thing. Annoying the hoops you have to jump thru to get LDAC going. They advertise LDAC as a feature, but don't expect the general public to know all these steps. Granted, it may more be an Android problem.
Using them with ldac from A55 and 1Z was just a matter of pairing and then play so most an Android issue I would say

Jun 18, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #483 of 2,999
What's a good cheap DAP with LDAC for this babies? I really don't want to switch to Android... unless the Fold 3 is amazing....
Sony A45 or A55 if you can find one could be an option

Jun 18, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #485 of 2,999
My pair's noise cancellation cuts in and out when there is no sound playing. Anyone else currently experiencing this issue?
Yes, very sporadically, but I have the same.

On both original and updated Firmware

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #487 of 2,999
What's a good cheap DAP with LDAC for this babies? I really don't want to switch to Android... unless the Fold 3 is amazing....
Almost all new DAPs support LDAC. I am using a Shanling M0 connecting to PC. M0 is acting as a DAC and a bluetooth transmitter, it is a pretty awesome setup. You can also use it with an ipad, iphone or whatever phone you are using acting as a Bluetooth transmitter. It is very convenient switching between devices without repairing. I believe almost all DAPs allow you to do it this way except Hiby R2. I tried it and it does not work(as a DAC or transmitter) so I returned it to Amazon.

Jun 18, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #488 of 2,999
4 1/2 hours tonight over ldac no anc but with eq from A55. Then connected to iPhone just to see what the battery level is at

35EFAC19-B388-46B7-9EA0-5809727B3F07.jpeg

Jun 18, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #489 of 2,999
This was with everything disabled including Assistant as a last ditch test on R Bud battery issues.

7h 55m over AAC (PC with Win 10 Dev and Intel WIFI 6E/BT 5.2) ANC On, Vol 30%, connected to phone to check battery right after R Bud dies.

Also getting lower volume in R at times fixed by power cycle.

Does anyone else get their secondary device stealing the Buds connection if they enable BT while on primary device and vice vera?

Screenshot_20210618-110956.png

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #491 of 2,999
Are you doing it with them in or out your ears?

I ask as I disabled the wear sensor just in case it fails as I laid them on the desk as it will turn off after 15min but I doubt it would during update but you never know.
Did mine in my ears while listening to music driving down the NJTP from Elizabeth to Philly, undate was smooth as silk, restarted headphone app,wallah.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #492 of 2,999
Here are my impressions from a couple days ago in the the other massive thread Going fully wireless, too soo?

Haven't found a solution yet. Debating on sending these back. One thing they did get right is syncing audio with 5.2. 5.0 devices still have a lag.
I just got the ePro horn tips recommended earlier in the thread and they help a bit in the mids and treble very slightly, noticeably from the large stock tips. I got the mediums.
I have been messing with eq for the past hour and it's better now on what i've finally settled on. They are still dark, or another way to describe it is compressed sounding.
The track i'm still testing and having the issue with is in FLAC, Alicia Keys - Back To Life at 2:53. Sounds like attenuation going on when the beat drops. Using LDAC 990 and i've tried everything I can think of even messing with Adapt Sound rebooting then going to AAC.

My Galaxy Buds Pro don't exhibit this using Samsung Scalable Codec. Of course my i4's don't.

Attached the eq I have settled on.

Disappointed, but I can live with them until something better comes out.

Really wished some company would go balls out with a summit fi bluetooth tws. I wouldn't mind paying thousands if someone got it right.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210616-213024_Headphones.jpg
    Screenshot_20210616-213024_Headphones.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #493 of 2,999
Turn off adaptive in setting, I move around alot,from state to state and the location trying to figure out if I'm sitting, walking, driving what not,turned adaptive off,haven't had a problem.
Unfortunately I don't use adaptive - I disabled it on the first day...

Jun 18, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #494 of 2,999
Now in saying all of that, I disagree with you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. I don't get the dark sound that some are hearing in these. My definition of dark is earphones like the 1More Quad Drivers. Even the PX7 is darker than the XM4. I get plenty of detail out of these, not class leading, but good none the less. As I stated a little earlier, I wonder if it has to do with the fit of the tips for some. I can pass the seal test wearing both the medium and large, however, the large gives me a more muffled, "darker" sound. It's like they over stuff my ears to where I lose some details. The mediums are perfect and sound more correct. Yes the sound is still house Sony which is Warm with a treble roll off, but not dark as a whole. Yes it's darker than my B&O H95, but I wouldn't describe the sound as dark because I've heard much darker. Just my take and experience.
Today I somewhat confirmed what I was hearing between the Large and Medium tips. I used the feature in the Sony app where you try on all 3 sizes of the tips and the app tells you which is best for your ears. The app said the Medium tips are my recommended tips.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I think those that are hearing these as dark and muffled may either need to switch sizes or get 3rd party tips. I can pass the fit test with both the medium and large, but the large sounds noticeably worse to my ears. It's definitely dark and muddy. With the medium, the sound is warm, smooth, and has decent detail. Not muddy or dark at all. Treble is still rolled off at the top, but no where near as bad as with the Large. Definitely not to the point where I would call them dark.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #495 of 2,999
Here's the thing. I also own Noble Falcon Pro. Subpar app, no active noise cancelation, no automatic ambient mode, and a $320 price point. So, with that said, I'm not hating the Sony for no multipoint. Also, as someone else pointed out, with the app installed on your devices, even with it connected to a different device, pressing connect on the new device disconnects from device 1 and connects to device 2 in 1 step, so it's not cumbersome switching between 2 or even 3 devices.

No matter how we look at it, IMO in this age (mid 2021) and price for the class (1st tier BT IEMs) the lack of Multipoint is a failure.

They let slide because most of the public still doesn't known what it is and competitors are lagging too.

Next year, same game and anyone without MP will be in trouble.

Bluetooth buds are mostly about ease of use and comfort, flexibility. And the MP part is key at that.

If you're talking sound quality above all, then who cares. XM4 sucks. Go wired. No XM4 or XM9 will beat a nice small comfy set of wired CA Andromeda - or anything better.

Do wireless right to justify its benefits. Otherwise just stay wired. 😉

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back