Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jul 12, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #856 of 2,999
Just got refunded by Amazon right this second after dropping off Sony's at drop off point/store 6:15am.

Was hoping to get a 2nd FW update in the 30 days but not happy with sound and the ANC does next to nothing for me TBH.
I hope that you find something that works for you as well as the XM4 works for me!

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #857 of 2,999
and the battery lige fantastic (at least 10 hours with eq and anc enabled)
How? According to official documents anc cuts battery life to 8 hours tops

Jul 12, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #858 of 2,999
Jul 12, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #859 of 2,999
How? According to official documents anc cuts battery life to 8 hours tops
Dont know how, but I did a 5 hour train and bus journey with eq and anc and there were still a little over 50% battery left according to the Sony app, and several 3 hour trips with around 70% left on the battery. I’ve never yet used them long enough to find the actual limit. This is with aac from an iPhone11 Pro. My 2 year old XM3 dies at just under 4 hours with anc and eq. I’ve just done 2 1/2 hours and the app says 84 and 82% left on the buds

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #860 of 2,999
Jul 13, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #862 of 2,999
I believe I posted earlier. If you are looking for more mid range and treble you should ordsr epro ep01 tips on Amazon. The horn like tips allow the upper frequencies to shine more on this smooth sounding tws. I put the Sony tips on my Campfire Solaris and received pleasant result Do these tips negatively impact the ANC?
I believe I posted earlier. If you are looking for more mid range and treble you should ordsr epro ep01 tips on Amazon. The horn like tips allow the upper frequencies to shine more on this smooth sounding tws. I put the Sony tips on my Campfire Solaris and received pleasant results
Hi, do these tips negatively impact the ANC?

Jul 13, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #863 of 2,999
How will these stand compared to Airpods Pro? Or Sennheiser TWS 2? Thank you.

I own all 3 and I have to say the XM4 is my favorite: best noise canceling performance combined with great tuning. The TWS2 is behind the XM4 in both regards IMO.

The AirPods Pro may still have an edge when it comes to call quality, but that’s about it.

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #865 of 2,999
Jul 13, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #866 of 2,999
I've had these for a few werks and I still can't decide between treble boost and off
If you are using the stock tips the treble boost is quite mandatory.
With the Spiral Dots++ it's useless, imho of course.

Jul 13, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #867 of 2,999
I hated the tips that came w/ the XM4’s, but I expected that much because I’m not a huge fan of foam tips. Thankfully my FiiO FH7’s had come with some SpinFit tips that I found I really liked. So after getting the XM4’s and confirming their tips weren’t any more special or different then any other foam tip, I ordered SpinFit’s off Amazon and had that problem solved the next day :)

Jul 13, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #868 of 2,999
Hi, do these tips negatively impact the ANC?
Yes, you lose a bit of isolation foe clarity and detail. I have since gone back to the stock tips. Over time I have fallen more in love with the sound sig of these. Switched back to stock tips this morning and I like them. Less treble sparkle than something like the Noble Falcon Pro, but a more musical presentation in my opinion

Jul 14, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #869 of 2,999
These are finally released here in Australia tomorrow - Looking forward to getting my pair & trying them out.

Jul 15, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #870 of 2,999
Apologies if the rtings test has been posted before (haven't checked). Very solid outcome actually (besides the treble response measurement of course):

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sony/wf-1000xm4-truly-wireless

It basically confirms what has been said quite often already, they have a dark/warm (muddy for some) sound due to their very recessed treble response. Luckily, as we know, this can be corrected though by using the built-in EQ and/or tips other than the stock ones.

Personally, I've gotten used to the stock foam tips even though other tips do sound better. Adjusting the EQ accordingly makes them still sound very good and the NC simply works best with the stock tips.

All in all, the XM4 are the best allrounder/commute/travel set for me right now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back