Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #2,656 of 2,999
Hey guys, i have to chance to acquire this iems for about $180, I'll be traveling soon by plane and bus and thought the ANC could be helpful. I have a pair or galaxy buds+ and the sound is fine but I prefer warmer signatures (JVC FW-01, Shozy Zero, Denon D5000 as example). I can also get the Buds 2 Pro for about $150, rated as the best ANC true wireless in the market by Crinacle. Has someone compared these two directly and which one do you prefer? I mainly use my buds+ for commuting, not for serious listening.
If you want warmer the xm4 are the way to go. I didn't have the Buds 2 pro but I did have the buds + as well. The buds+ were a bit too bright and thin for my tastes.

I prefer the XM4 with eq to make it a bit less dark.

Nov 17, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #2,657 of 2,999
If you want warmer the xm4 are the way to go. I didn't have the Buds 2 pro but I did have the buds + as well. The buds+ were a bit too bright and thin for my tastes.

I prefer the XM4 with eq to make it a bit less dark.
Thanks, very helpful since that's the same impression I have of the Buds+, good sounding but thin, and a bit bright. I definitely enjoy something more warmer, almost dark like my FW-01. Would you say that Sony is more enjoyable than the Buds+ and with more 'body'?

Nov 17, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #2,658 of 2,999
Thanks, very helpful since that's the same impression I have of the Buds+, good sounding but thin, and a bit bright. I definitely enjoy something more warmer, almost dark like my FW-01. Would you say that Sony is more enjoyable than the Buds+ and with more 'body'?

I think so. Ymmv

Here's the EQ I'm using, except I dropped 2.5k to +8 iirc.
PhotoGrid_1630446788955.jpg

Nov 20, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #2,659 of 2,999
I've tried some tws and iems in the last few years, I think even the best harman targeted ones like buds pro sound a bit too bright or harsh to me. I prefer the super*review house, you can find his tool and huge database here
https://squig.link/?share=Super_22_Target,Sony_WF-1000XM4
As you can see the xm4 pretty match it. Many measurements of these tws on other sites are taken at max volume where the response changes lowering the treble, not a problem to me as I listen at 50-60%.
Xm4 sound good enough to my ears on LDAC (44hz-16bit-990kbps), just swap tips (I'm using azla crystal), put some eq using the above eq tool and import the results on wavelet.

Nov 26, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #2,660 of 2,999
Hi everybody,

I got this little boy for one month more or less and last days I started using it with my pc (windows 10 here). I paired them with bluetooth and result is awesome with no lag at all and very long range.

However when I use discord I have to change it on panel control from sony xm4 to sony xm4 hands-free in order to use the built-in mic. The problem is that quality audio changes dramatically, going from an incredible sound to very low quality sound in comparison. It's not only when gaming and using discord but listening to music/netflix the reduction in terms of performance is quite severe too.

Is that normal? Anyone has experienced that or it is any solution out there? My motherboard is quite good asus tuf b660 plus wifi with dedicated antenna with the following specs

2x2 Wi-Fi 6 (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Supports 2.4/5GHz frequency band, Bluetooth v5.2

If you tell me that it can be solved any way and this is absolutely normal, the last question would be if this problem is common to all wireless headphones when connected to computer or it's just a problem of this particular model.

So much thanks in advance for your help

Dec 6, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #2,664 of 2,999
I just updated my app and there was no available FW upgrade for my XM4…. Maybe it is being rolled out in different regions?
My XM4 is still at v1.4.2. I've read there was v1.5.0, but Sony Headphone app (v9.2.8 latest) never updated to that version...? Not seeing v1.6.1 update, but see v1.6.1 is released. I wonder if my XM4 will be automatically updated. Are other people seeing their XM4 still at v1.4.2?

https://www.sony-asia.com/electroni...tooth-headphones/wf-1000xm4/software/00263487

Edit: Found some info at The Walkman Blog... looks like v1.6.1 not released for Europe or America's yet. Also it's mentioned that v1.5.0 was unreleased. I guess some new XM4 or repaired units have v1.5.0 installed, but it was never released as an automatic update.

https://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2022/12/sony-wf-1000xm4-firmware-update-version.html?m=0

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back