Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #2,206 of 2,999
(Re-)bought a pair of these two days ago. There was a deal at a big German electronics reseller (174€ new) which I thought was a good enough price to buy them again :)

Directly updated to firmware 1.3.3 and so far no problems at all. These are still very good TWS buds and with the EQ to one's personal liking they also sound very good, I think. ANC is still rock solid and 'speak to chat' very handy from time to time. They basically just lack multipoint bluetooth to be (almost) perfect for what they are.

I do have the WF-1000XM4 right now as well as the Devialet Gemini, the B&O EQ and the M&D MW08 Sport, all of which are very good sets but before this TWS hobby gets a bit out of hand, I decided to keep the XM4 and the Gemini for now :D The other two ones can be found in the classifieds, just in case :D

Feb 17, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #2,207 of 2,999
(Re-)bought a pair of these two days ago. There was a deal at a big German electronics reseller (174€ new) which I thought was a good enough price to buy them again :)

Directly updated to firmware 1.3.3 and so far no problems at all. These are still very good TWS buds and with the EQ to one's personal liking they also sound very good, I think. ANC is still rock solid and 'speak to chat' very handy from time to time. They basically just lack multipoint bluetooth to be (almost) perfect for what they are.

I do have the WF-1000XM4 right now as well as the Devialet Gemini, the B&O EQ and the M&D MW08 Sport, all of which are very good sets but before this TWS hobby gets a bit out of hand, I decided to keep the XM4 and the Gemini for now :D The other two ones can be found in the classifieds, just in case :D
Does yours connect to either earbud alone without any issues? Other people are saying i have a dud pair.

Feb 17, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #2,208 of 2,999
Does yours connect to either earbud alone without any issues? Other people are saying i have a dud pair.
As of now, yes it does connect to both earbuds independently without any issues or hiccups.

Feb 17, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #2,209 of 2,999
As of now, yes it does connect to both earbuds independently without any issues or hiccups.
Alright, guess im taking a trip to the service center

Feb 17, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #2,210 of 2,999
I observed this on mine. I read that the cause could be the earpiece thinking that it was in single earpiece mode, and that the order you remove them from the case may be putting it into "single" mode. I did a reset of the earbuds to wipe all pairing memory, repaired, and also switched which one I removed from the case first. Switched to remove the L one first, instead of the R, which I usually pick, out of habit.

I haven't seen the problem since. Don't know if what I did was the answer, but as the problem went away, I am happy. So worth a try.

Feb 17, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #2,211 of 2,999
I thought lack of multipoint pairing was an issue for me as well, but then using other devices with multipoint, I recall how annoying it is to have your speaker source change as soon as some other input device comes within range. Not all of them handle this well. It's easy and fast enough to change the input for the XM4's for me.
(The one exception was getting set up for a Zoom meeting in a hurry and having to switch to phone for access to the app to turn off speak-to-chat, then switch back to computer. That's mostly a lesson to make sure things are set up for an online meeting sooner than 30 seconds before it starts.)

Pretty sure I can take either bud out of the case and have it start working independently, but now I want to check.

Feb 17, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #2,212 of 2,999
Recently bought the xm4 because i was curious how it holds up to my xm3 (bought on release). But im disappointed by it. It is super buggy, right bud wont connect directly to my phone and need to put it back to the case at least 2x for it to work with just the right bud. Another thing that disappointed me is the sound, although it gives the presentation more depth it sounds quite veiled compared to the xm3 (of which im not a fan of to begin with). Thirdly, the exclusion of nfc which makes the thing super inconvenient and would need to constantly bring my phone out when changing connections from my laptop to my phone(and yes ive reset both my connections and buds 4x already, this happens when i havent connected the xm4 to anything for sometime). Fourth, this is a more of a me thing, is that the case cant be used as a stand for my phone when watching videos. Fifth, the build like man it feels so cheap! I purchased the xb700 a while ago when i was on a trip and i forgot to bring my xm3 with me (ive since gave the xb700 to my brother) and that thing felt way more substantial than these which is a whole $100 cheaper! I cant really return these anymore and selling it would just be a bigger loss since i bought it at full price (barely a week old) and some stores are already selling it discounted at just $200. I'll be buying the linkbuds when it comes out hopefully they feel better than these.
Everyone has their own sonic preferences and desired features, so it is unsurprising that you don’t like the XM4. I won’t comment on your list of disappointments with sonic characteristics or lack of features as that is completely personal!

In terms of the XM4 being buggy… There are others who have noted that they had some issues, so again not surprising, but there are many of us that have never had a problem, or the problems were pretty minor, so I will disagree with your assessment that ”it is super buggy”.

There is one other thing that I will disagree with… You say that “the build like man it feels so cheap”. Really? I have a number of TWS including Melomania MT, ADV M5 TWS, Soundcore Life A2 NC and Liberty 2 Pro, Status Pro, and others. The XM4 is a beast, built like a tank. Are there other TWS IEMs that might be built better? I am certain of it, though I have never seen one, but to call the XM4 build “cheap”… Really?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #2,214 of 2,999
My left bud cannot work itself, it needs the right out of the case. It's correct or do I return them? Thanks
What are your voice assistant settings?

Feb 17, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #2,215 of 2,999
My left bud cannot work itself, it needs the right out of the case. It's correct or do I return them? Thanks
I can use either the left or the right bud on it’s own

Feb 17, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #2,217 of 2,999
You HAVE to change it to "Voice Assist Function of Mobile Device" otherwise only the left bud will work standalone.

Feb 17, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #2,219 of 2,999
Everyone has their own sonic preferences and desired features, so it is unsurprising that you don’t like the XM4. I won’t comment on your list of disappointments with sonic characteristics or lack of features as that is completely personal!

In terms of the XM4 being buggy… There are others who have noted that they had some issues, so again not surprising, but there are many of us that have never had a problem, or the problems were pretty minor, so I will disagree with your assessment that ”it is super buggy”.

There is one other thing that I will disagree with… You say that “the build like man it feels so cheap”. Really? I have a number of TWS including Melomania MT, ADV M5 TWS, Soundcore Life A2 NC and Liberty 2 Pro, Status Pro, and others. The XM4 is a beast, built like a tank. Are there other TWS IEMs that might be built better? I am certain of it, though I have never seen one, but to call the XM4 build “cheap”… Really?
First of thank you for the broad assessment eith my original post. With regards to it being buggy, like i said im going to get a warranty claim for my specific unit. As for its build, i bought my pair for $280 and from the tws you've listed these are considerably more expensive than those so i think they deserve the benefit of the doubt. Its the reason why i still use my 5 year old pair of bt headphones, the master&dynamic mw60 because of how well its built with decent sq. Sure the new bt headphones have varying amounts of QoL but they'd be a compromise in the build department.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #2,220 of 2,999
Thinking about it further, i think its the finish/matte coating that gives it the cheap feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back