Sony Walkman NW-ZX1 Boot Loop Issue
Feb 22, 2018 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nick102

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've got a Sony Walkman NW - ZX1 that's stuck on a boot loop. It got there at random (not after a firmware update). The device was powered off and the next time I powered it on - boot loop. All I'm seeing is the Walkman logo with the colour animation until it runs out of battery.

Here are the steps that I have undertaken to attempt to resolve the issue:
  1. Soft reset (pressing reset button on the back of the device with a pin)
  2. Pressing and holding the Power + "Vol. + button" until the device restarts.
  3. Pressing and holding the Power + "Vol - button" until the device restarts.
  4. Connecting the device to my PC:
    1. Cannot see device in "My Computer"
    2. See the device in "Device Manager"
  5. Right click "Computer" -> manage -> disk manager (Windows sees the device but I am unable to format it)
  6. Using "chkdsk" to attempt to check the device for errors. (Windows cannot see it as a storage device)
I'm just trying to format the device to the original factory settings but I am unable to get to any screen/option to do that.

Was wondering if someone else has faced such a problem in the past and could potentially help me out in any way possible. (Other than recommending that I use it as a paperweight)

I've done enough research to figure out that contacting Sony with this issue is borderline useless (having done that in the past as well). As they will (at most) provide me with a discount code that I could use to purchase a new Walkman.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 22, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #7 of 8
The symptom is bootlooping.
That's what happened with some phones (LG G4, V10, Nexus 5X, 6P) when the SoC fails (bad soldering, failed cores, ...)
That would be a massive shame.

I'll try booting it into recovery mode again.

Is there a resource that lists all possible key combinations for the Walkmans? Key combinations to get it into recovery mode/simple boot/etc.?

EDIT: Duo8, you Sir, are a legend!

I've got it back up and running thanks to your "button combination". Got into the recovery mode, navigated to "format device" and voila - one restart later and I'm back to enjoying my tunes! The strange part is that all the music is still there....but you won't hear any complaints from my side.

Thanks a million! :L3000:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back