Sony Walkman NW-Z1000 vs NWZ-A860 (Review + unboxing)
Apr 28, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #16 of 87
Is your A walkman European or US version?  According to the sound signature, your A is likely US version as it sounds nearly the same as the Z walkman.  I found the A867 Euro version to have more treble emphasis from upper mindrange onward compared to the Japanese & US A series walkman.  

I also want to add that the EU A series is 6-7 volume level lower than that of the US's A-walkman.

Apr 28, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #17 of 87

Quote:
Is your A walkman European or US version?  According to the sound signature, your A is likely US version as it sounds nearly the same as the Z walkman.  I found the A867 Euro version to have more treble emphasis from upper mindrange onward compared to the Japanese & US A series walkman.  

This is interesting.

Apr 28, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #18 of 87

Quote:

I also want to add that the EU A series is 6-7 volume level lower than that of the US's A-walkman.

This is interesting indeed. My A867 seriously lacks bass in comparison to my A829, I can't get nearly enough bass out for my Shure SE530's. That a US version would be more bass heavy is as intriguing as it is strange.

Apr 28, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #20 of 87

Mine was gotten locally, which is neither from US or europe, so can't say I'm sure. But judging by what you said, it's most likely the US one.

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #22 of 87

Quote:
Yes, the EU version does have the volume restriction. I have it, and on 15 (out of 30) the volume is lower than on my S639. But, I find it to be loud enough to use with my Creative Aurvana Live, Sennheiser HD25-1 II, and Denon AH-D2000.
And Jeremypsp, that was a nice little comparison. I'm actually glad I went with the A867,... The smaller form factor is a plus for me. Besides, I personally dislike Android on a media player, and on the whole. Others love it. I'm just glad you have a new toy you can enjoy.
cool.gif

Thanks dude. I need to find a new place to buy it now though cause the 64gb version is sold out on Amazon UK.

Apr 29, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #23 of 87

Quote:
Yes, the EU version does have the volume restriction. I have it, and on 15 (out of 30) the volume is lower than on my S639. But, I find it to be loud enough to use with my Creative Aurvana Live, Sennheiser HD25-1 II, and Denon AH-D2000.
And Jeremypsp, that was a nice little comparison. I'm actually glad I went with the A867,... The smaller form factor is a plus for me. Besides, I personally dislike Android on a media player, and on the whole. Others love it. I'm just glad you have a new toy you can enjoy.
cool.gif

Thanks dude. I need to find a new place to buy it now though cause the 64gb version is sold out on Amazon UK.

Does Advanced mp3 Players in the UK have it in stock still? http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #25 of 87
Looks like they just sold out.  Thankfully.  Had been toying with picking one up.

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #26 of 87

Quote:
Looks like they just sold out.  Thankfully.  Had been toying with picking one up.

you should be grateful especially if you was after a Euro model which you will need to amp to get any respectable volume out of it, which then puts it in the same ballpark as the WM-Z pricewise.... I have owned the A-Series & two WM-Z's and I can honestly state that the WM-Z is superior in every way to the A-Series, the soundstage is immense & the SQ is in my opinion one of the finest I've heard on any portable device, I just love the neutrality of it and never felt the need to equalize any of the settings as the stock player is so good..... obviously some may disagree with my thoughts but I do not restrict my listening to certain genres where people may be wanting something more.

What everyone is seeking is the best possible sound from a portable device, some are trying to achieve the ultimate audiophile sound from their DAP's, unfortunately I really think this is a misguided cause as all your music is compressed in one way or another and that is the basic limitation of any DAP, no matter how expensive your portable rig is, a quality basic home hi-fi system will always show up a portable device for what it is.

Apr 30, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #27 of 87

Quote:

you should be grateful especially if you was after a Euro model which you will need to amp to get any respectable volume out of it, which then puts it in the same ballpark as the WM-Z pricewise.... I have owned the A-Series & two WM-Z's and I can honestly state that the WM-Z is superior in every way to the A-Series, the soundstage is immense & the SQ is in my opinion one of the finest I've heard on any portable device, I just love the neutrality of it and never felt the need to equalize any of the settings as the stock player is so good..... obviously some may disagree with my thoughts but I do not restrict my listening to certain genres where people may be wanting something more.

What everyone is seeking is the best possible sound from a portable device, some are trying to achieve the ultimate audiophile sound from their DAP's, unfortunately I really think this is a misguided cause as all your music is compressed in one way or another and that is the basic limitation of any DAP, no matter how expensive your portable rig is, a quality basic home hi-fi system will always show up a portable device for what it is.

I think what everyone wants is a sound closest to what a concert or HI-FI system gives. A concert can also prove HI-FI systems wrong, so it's the same reason.

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #28 of 87
I just need to remove a closing stud on my leather case, and Velcro my FiiO E11 to it. Then, who really cares about a volume cap. Especially since it's still small enough for me to consider it portable, pocketable, and easy to use. I planned on using my amp with it anyways,...I've become spoiled.:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back