Sony Walkman NW-Z1000 vs NWZ-A860 (Review + unboxing)
Jun 1, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #76 of 87
Quote:
pretty sure the Z is from US (bought from sonystyle) and the A is from japan.

i also need to mention that both daps i compared were matched to my listening volume more or less 90-95% difference

I see, I did find the Z slightly brighter than the A, which may be darker or more neutral in comparison. I also found that the A appears more distant and laid back in comparison. But I would agree that Z feels slightly bigger.

Jun 1, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #77 of 87
RMAA test on the Z Series Walkman: http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/Z1060/Z1060TF10.htm

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #78 of 87
Quote:
RMAA test on the Z Series Walkman: http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/Z1060/Z1060TF10.htm

This was already posted on the other thread by someone who was out to bash the Z. Well, I don't know if I can say I can trust it, but won't using an accurate IEM like the ER-4 be more accurate than the TF10 which is quite colored?

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #79 of 87
I don't bash anything,...especially being a Sony Walkman fan. i just prefer facts to bs.

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #81 of 87
Quote:
But I rather trust my ears than charts telling me I'm wrong.

I'm not going there again,...lol!!
deadhorse.gif

Jul 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #82 of 87
The EU volume cap on Sony DAPs has never been an issue for me.

13 out of 30 is enough with my iems...occasionally I go up to 16 or so when outside.

Jul 22, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #84 of 87
Quote:
Although there's the mystery as to whether the sound really is different... 

I'll go ahead and confirm this myth that the EU version is inferior sounding to the US and Japan / Asia version.  I did a side-by-side comparison b/w the A867 (UK), A867 (South Asia), and A865 (US) all using the same Mp3 files with 320 kbps bitrate.   I discovered that the UK version sounds more constrict (and closed in) with sharper treble than the SA & US version.  The UK version is approximately 5 volume steps quieter than the other two Walkmans.  The tonality of the SA & US versions is more neutral with significant better dynamics including low frequencies extension than the A867 (UK).  On a side note, I also have Sony X1060 and the Z1060 (US) and they also sound more in line with the Asia and US version of the A walkman.  BTW, comparison was made using my JH13pro.

Jul 22, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #85 of 87
Quote:
I'll go ahead and confirm this myth that the EU version is inferior sounding to the US and Japan / Asia version.  I did a side-by-side comparison b/w the A867 (UK), A867 (South Asia), and A865 (US) all using the same Mp3 files with 320 kbps bitrate.   I discovered that the UK version sounds more constrict (and closed in) with sharper treble than the SA & US version.  The UK version is approximately 5 volume steps quieter than the other two Walkmans.  The tonality of the SA & US versions is more neutral with significant better dynamics including low frequencies extension than the A867 (UK).  On a side note, I also have Sony X1060 and the Z1060 (US) and they also sound more in line with the Asia and US version of the A walkman.  BTW, comparison was made using my JH13pro.

Interesting... 

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #86 of 87
Quote:

By any chance did you compare them using the line-out also? There are at least a couple of us using these A-series with FiiO E11's. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #87 of 87
Quote:
By any chance did you compare them using the line-out also? There are at least a couple of us using these A-series with FiiO E11's. 

I am not sure I did or not.  Since then, I sold the A867 (UK) and still keep the A867 (SA) & A865 (US).  Of course, I still have Z1060 (US) as well as the X1060.

Here's my ranking via headphone out using a 320 Kbps files:

Z1060 = A867 (SA) & A865 (US) > X1060 > A867 (UK).

My A867 (SA) is capable of playing ATRAC Lossless, so that alone making it the best sounding DAP in my rotation.  Also, I find A walkmans (w/o EU volume cap) headphone out to be so good that no additional amping is required if you are using IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back