Sony Vaio Pocket 40gb 249.99 straight
Jun 20, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #61 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by sohc
ill be going out to boston tomorrow to the sony store they have there, i called- they said theve got the hd3, hd5, AND the vaio pocket on display. i cant wait!

I bought my Vaio Pocket at the SonyStyle store in Boston.

You may even want to call the outlet in Wrentham to see what they have as well.

Jun 20, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #62 of 137
im a college student and have about 900 dollars to my name, with a bit more coming in over the summer. I bought a zen micro 3 months ago, after my Zen usb 2.0 20gig died. I love the sound and the small size, but i knew id also need a larger, higher capacity/battery life player for longer trips. This seems too good to pass up, but I cant seem to go ahead with it for some reason. Fender, you've been a big help so far...could you also answer these questions:

First, does the dock need to be plugged into a power outlet if you want to use the features on it (camera transfer, line out, computer transfer)? I ask, because this would sort of defeat the purpose of tranferring directly from my camera, as I can't use the dock in the field.

Also, could you explain how the album art works on the player? Does it read id3 art tags, or do you need to transfer album art as seperate jpgs? All of my mp3s are tagged with album art, so it would suck to not be able to take advantage of that.

Last, can I transfer files off of the player back to my computer?

thanks...

Jun 20, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #63 of 137
anyone have any idea about how hard itll be to get this player if ecost sells out? especially at this price...

Jun 20, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #65 of 137
Quote:

does the dock need to be plugged into a power outlet if you want to use the features on it (camera transfer, line out, computer transfer)?

Nope. Just the dock is needed.

Quote:

Also, could you explain how the album art works on the player? Does it read id3 art tags, or do you need to transfer album art as seperate jpgs? All of my mp3s are tagged with album art, so it would suck to not be able to take advantage of that.

This is a little ambiguous on Sony's part. In general, when I imported mp3's with tagged art into SonicStage 3.1, the art was shown in SS and transferred to the player just fine. When I ripped an album in SS, then assigned an art to an album, it asks if you want to assign to all tracks as well, or just the album. If I choose either, the art displays on all the tracks, so I'm guessing there must be a db somewhere controlling the art, kinda like iTunes.

Jun 21, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #66 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by rbf1138
First, does the dock need to be plugged into a power outlet if you want to use the features on it (camera transfer, line out, computer transfer)? I ask, because this would sort of defeat the purpose of tranferring directly from my camera, as I can't use the dock in the field.

The dock does work without the AC adapter, but it is necessary for transferring from the camera as the USB ports are in the dock.

Quote:

You need to assign the album art in Sonic Stage for the album, and when you transfer the music, it goes with. It's not well documented. As noted, you can assign art track by track for SS, but it doesn't work that way in the player so don't bother.

Quote:

Last, can I transfer files off of the player back to my computer?

Yes and no. Sony puts a wrapper around each file (with an .OMG extension if I'm not mistaken) in the transfer for DRM. SonicStage may only let you do transfers a certain number of times, but there is no stopping you pulling them off via Windows Explorer and then, say, renaming them.

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #67 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderP
The dock does work without the AC adapter, but it is
necessary for transferring from the camera as the USB ports are in the dock.

Isn't there a USB port on the player itself? Or is that port a special one that connects to the dock only.

Does the dock have a line out?

Thanks!

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #69 of 137
Thanks!

Does the Sony Vaio have a comparible sound as the NW-HD5's, HD3, HD1, or Sony's Flash players?

This might sound like a silly question but is there an audible hiss noise, or a
buzzing noise, through the Vaio Pocket player?

Thanks.

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #70 of 137
i went to that sonystyle store in boston. got me an hd5
smily_headphones1.gif
black. got the 2 year protection for $30 not bad at all. so far im happy with it. the flap that covers the usb port is real flimsy though. left it on all night by accident. woke up in the morning, still 75% left!

Jun 22, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #71 of 137
Wow, this sounds great! I'm ready to order, but I have one question that should be easy to answer. I know this DAP plays mp3's with the upgrade, but does this include VBR, lame encoded mp3's? All of my music is encoded with LAME, so I have to know this prior to ordering. The sale ends very soon, so an answer would be extremely appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #73 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by SDLeMire
Yes, it plays my Lame-encoded VBR mp3's without a hitch.

Thanks for the reply. Well, I went ahead and ordered it
cool.gif
I was planning to wait for the 5G iPods, since my 3G's HD died almost 3 months ago. It's been hard waiting this long, and with a deal like this, for a 40 gig player with many attractive features, this was a no brainer. I like the design, the color screen, gapless playback, and the fact that I can use it as a portable HD to name a few. I've never even heard of this player a couple hours ago until I stumbled upon this thread. What an impulse purchase if there ever was one!
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #74 of 137
I also bought this thing on impulse for the same reasons as Shurenuff. I hope it actually pans out. I received a notification yesterday from ecost saying it was on backorder, but I saw a few posts above that said they were going to get more stock on the 23rd so hopefully that will fill the all of the backorders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back