Sony Vaio Pocket 40gb 249.99 straight
Jun 19, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #46 of 137
A couple of posts back (#42) the subject of the 6-band EQ was mentioned --
Does anyone who has a VAIO and has downloaded the patches for MP3 support, know if the equalizer can be applied to MP3s?
This is one of the things that has been turning me away from the HD5, because it's EQ does NOT work for MP3s.

I checked the release notes for the firmware and SonicStage upgrades that enable MP3 support for the VAIO, and there is no mention of whether or not you can apply equalization to MP3s. And of course the manual was written before MP3 support was added.

Thanks.

Jun 19, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #48 of 137
I'm also on the verge of ordering the Vaio Pocket. I've been playing around with ideas of what to pick up but this seems like a fairly decent deal.

Compared to all of the players on the market - is this worth my cash right now or should I hold off for something else? I'd love the storage space but I'd also like to have the best bang for the buck.

Jun 19, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #49 of 137
There is no custom EQ for any music on the Vaio pocket. 6 EQ presets that have combinations of treble and bass boosts, that's all. Though they definitely do more to the sound than most ipod presets. Although the sound seems a bit low for the included earphones, it does drive my Grado SR60's pretty well. No line-out technically, but to be honest, the HP jack still has a cleaner signal than my HD3 ever did, even on line-out mode.

Jun 19, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #50 of 137
Would you do it again?
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #51 of 137
How does this sucker sound? Typical sony sound (like their md stuff)?

Jun 19, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #52 of 137
i went to a few computer superstores today. circuit city sells the silver hd5 for $300. bestbuy sells the silver hd1 for $350 (rediculous- i can get an hd3 new for $240). there was no demo for the hd5, but you can see it clearly in the clear plastic case its in- its real sharp, real tiny. the bottons dont look as corny in person. im too afraid they would break, i asked the circuit city guy about it he said i should get a 2year protection plan for $65. i dont wanna deal with it, i know itll break within the first week.

i tried the working demo of the hd1 at bestbuy, it was nice too, real sturdy feeling. smaller than the ipod, about the same size as an hd5. the screen was tacky old school green. the inverted option looked dumb. the controller pad thing seemed cheap- ready to break.

ill be going out to boston tomorrow to the sony store they have there, i called- they said theve got the hd3, hd5, AND the vaio pocket on display. i cant wait!

Jun 19, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #53 of 137
ive got time on my hands...
attachment.php

the vaio is actually thicker than 17mm if you consider the big handle. its prolly more like 26mm or so. notice the hd5 is the smallest and lightest.

Jun 19, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #54 of 137
Certain resolution limit of sorts for that? It's way too large at 1024 x 768.

More opinions on SQ versus the competition are always welcome of course
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm still not sure if I should spring for it or wait =/

Jun 19, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #55 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kestrel
Certain resolution limit of sorts for that? It's way too large at 1024 x 768.

no, its not actual size. it just compares the relative sizes of the different daps.

Jun 20, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #56 of 137
yeah, can we possibly get some quick sound quality comparisons/opinions? This seems like an amazing deal, and for me its hinging on the sound quality. I've always had Creative players, so it is important to me.

Jun 20, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #57 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by rbf1138
yeah, can we possibly get some quick sound quality comparisons/opinions? This seems like an amazing deal, and for me its hinging on the sound quality. I've always had Creative players, so it is important to me.

My first DAP was a Creative Zen Xtra 30gig, which I replaced with VAIO when SONY decided to support MP3's.

As for sound quality between the two, to my ears I like the SONY better. The Zen was a little too neutral/flat for my taste. The SONY seems to be warmer and have more of a full sound to it. I guess that is what some people say is that "SONY sound".

If you like a more accurate, nuetral take to music then you will find yourself liking the Creative offerings better.

Headphones used are: ATH EC7's and SONY EX71S.

$249.99 is a great deal, I paid in the high $300's after a $50 rebate back in December. Especially after comparing the build quality of this unit to other DAP's on the market at or more than this price point.

Jun 20, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #58 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz
Do you own it? I checked the vaio pocket website for the UK, and they claim 6 band EQ, although a review that was linked in this thread said only adjustment capable was bass and treble... maybe the new firmware offers the adjustable EQ?

There are a few settings - it is 6 band EQ, but fixed parameters.

Jun 20, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #59 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO
Do any of you vaio pocket owners use bigger headphones? I've placed an order with ecost, but I want to make sure that the vaio pocket can adequately drive the MS1.

It drives my Ety ER-4Ps just fine.

Jun 20, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #60 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by rbf1138

My lineage:
Rio Karma
iAudio M3
Sony Vaio Pocket

The Karma is what it is - not going to go in depth. Good player, adjustable EQ (but you could also cause distortion with it too), etc etc.

iAudio M3 - The sound of this seemed to have a bit more "air", while the Karma was a bit more neutral in sound. Semi-flexible EQ, decent sound. Sounds better with processing than w/o.

Vaio Pocket - I like the sound. I agree with the comment that it's "warm". I wouldn't say it's necessarily totally typical Sony sound, but there is certainly some coloring going on. I have no complaints. I do find the Sony much easier to listen to for extended periods than the M3 - it is less fatiguing to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back