Sony Vaio Pocket 40gb 249.99 straight
Jun 12, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 137
What makes this a hot deal?
1-40gb.
2-color screen.
3-20hrs
wink.gif
battery life.
4-you can connect a camera to it and transfer all your photos.
5-comes with the LCD remote and docking station.

[size=medium]AND YES IT HAS NATIVE SUPPORT FOR MP3[/size]
might need a firmware upgrade.

Jun 12, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 137
A few things turn me off:

1. SonicStage

2. A bit big? Not sure, but I got the impression from reading a few threads that the Vaio Pocket is on the large side.

3. Low output? I've heard that it's a quiet player.

Looks really nice though. I'm tempted, but I've already committed to the X5...although I coooouuld send it back.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
seen it going for $299 for awhile now but $250 even better.

the only thing... is a big thing.

SonicStage is a pain in the butt, but that's only the half of it. the real issue is that the Vaio Pocket only plays the ATRAC format natively.

So unless you haven't encoded your CD collection yet... bleh. pass.

WHAT DID I JUST SAY, They published a firmware update that supports MP3 playback natively without any conversion to ATRAC.
SHEESH!

Jun 13, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #7 of 137
Saw one of these in a storefront window, and was very surprised at how small the thing was. Not nearly as bulky as pics might lead you to believe.

What I want to know is why prices for the HD-1 haven't fallen to <US$150 range. I would love to pick one up, but current prices are just not low enough to make me forget the shortcomings, despite the introduction of the native mp3-playing HD-3's & HD-5's.

Maybe the VAIO at this price is worth considering...

/edit - From eCost's website:

Availability: Call Us

Maybe not
frown.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 7:09 AM Post #9 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by btaki
WHAT DID I JUST SAY, They published a firmware update that supports MP3 playback natively without any conversion to ATRAC.
SHEESH!

lol, freak out much?

_shrug_ i had not heard anything about the Vaio Pocket model supporting native MP3 playback.

Jun 13, 2005 at 7:28 AM Post #11 of 137
Jun 14, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #12 of 137
I just called ecost today about my vaio pocket order, the rep told me that they were supposed to get some in on the 23rd, and she said it's "90%" accurate. Just sharing some facts. Anyone else got a different story from other reps? Thx.

Jun 14, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #14 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
why does it have 25 buttons in the front?

It's a touch sensitive pad that's mapped to the screen. Wherever you touch on the pad highlights that section of the screen (a menu choice, for example), then you press down on whatever button your finger happens to be on to confirm the selection. It works quite well, better than I thought it would anyway.

Jun 15, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #15 of 137
i really recommend this player. If you organize your music well, this is player for you. The album art thing is awesome. Sonicstage sucks but you learn to deal with it. I only use it to transfer music anyway. I'm so glad i didn't go for the 40gb ipod. If you get used to it, it's way better navigation. Hint: to scroll down, don't hover on the bottom row, use the page down button on the left.
It's also the first player i know that you can right click with. (hold down the button)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back