Sony V6 DT250 Mod - Should I do it?
Apr 23, 2010 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

EternalEmpire

100+ Head-Fier
Basically, I have some Sony V6, or I will when they get shipped to me, and I've been told that I should replace the ear pads with those of the Beyerdynamic DT250. Just looking for second opinions on whether this is worth doing or not.

Thanks.

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 18
Why not? if you dont like it you can undo it.

Probably the best way to do it is buy a set of DT250. Swap the pads around until you find the sound you want. If you like the mod, buy a second set of DT250 pads. If you like the DT250 more than the Sony headphones, sell the sony's. Simple.

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not? if you dont like it you can undo it.

Probably the best way to do it is buy a set of DT250. Swap the pads around until you find the sound you want. If you like the mod, buy a second set of DT250 pads. If you like the DT250 more than the Sony headphones, sell the sony's. Simple.

I haven't really got the money to buy some DT250s at the moment so it'd mean buying some pads on their own (which I've found on eBay) but I don't really want to get them if there's no point or I'll have wasted money which I could've put towards something else.

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 18
That might be a problem, I'm in the UK so shipping would be ridiculously expensive. I have no problem just buying them new from eBay since it would probably work out being cheaper, I just want to know if actually worth it really.

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 18
erm, I don't know what it looks like on your side of the pond, but I got my pads for $18.48 with free shipping. For the price I got them, they were fully worth it, and I would've been willing to pay much more.

They vastly increase the comfort, and also increase the longevity of the headphones. If you use them for a year or two, you'll be buying new pads anyway.

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 18
Well, my V6 arrived today and I have to say, I find them to be really comfortable. I've been wearing them pretty much all day since I took them out of the packaging and they're still comfortable to wear. I think I'm going to hold off on the DT250 pads until the stock ones get to a point where they need replacing.

In terms of sound quality, they're definitely the best pair of headphones I've owned so far. When the time comes that I've saved up more money, I'm not doubt going to buy more expensive headphones after how much I've enjoyed these ones after only hours of use
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #8 of 18
That's exacly what I thought when I first put my V6s on.
biggrin.gif
You will wanna get them soon after wearing ur V6 continuously 3-4 hours. If you still find them comfortable, congrats! You just saved yourself a pair of PortaPro or PX100
smily_headphones1.gif
I couldn't T.T

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by EternalEmpire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, my V6 arrived today and I have to say, I find them to be really comfortable. I've been wearing them pretty much all day since I took them out of the packaging and they're still comfortable to wear. I think I'm going to hold off on the DT250 pads until the stock ones get to a point where they need replacing.

In terms of sound quality, they're definitely the best pair of headphones I've owned so far. When the time comes that I've saved up more money, I'm not doubt going to buy more expensive headphones after how much I've enjoyed these ones after only hours of use
biggrin.gif

I've had my V6's for over a year and the pads haven't started flaking yet and I wear them for hours every day. They are very, very comfortable and even after 4-5 hours of using them I don't get sweaty ears or discomfort. In fact, I usually end up forgetting I have them on and try to walk away from my computer before I realize they are still on my head.
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by EternalEmpire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Basically, I have some Sony V6, or I will when they get shipped to me, and I've been told that I should replace the ear pads with those of the Beyerdynamic DT250. Just looking for second opinions on whether this is worth doing or not.

Thanks.

I have an older (very older) V6. The pads would eventually flake after a couple years. They would flake badly leaving black dust from the deteriorating pads all around my ears. I looked for replacement pads from Sony and found that the pads ordered from Sony would cost more than a V6 was worth. The pads were more valuable than the headphone. Ridiculous. That began the search for alternative pads. That's why I have the Beyer pads on my V6. The Beyer pads weren't about comfort or sound quality. They were all about finding a suitable set of pads that was priced reasonably and that wouldn't deteriorate like the Sony pads.

We can only hope that Sony has improved the pads so they don't deteriorate and flake. But I don't know. Use them till they do then get the Beyer pads or Pearstone pads as replacement.

If you live in a hot or humid area you might like the velour Beyer or Pearstone pads. Otherwise? It depends.

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #11 of 18
do the Beyer pads tame some highs? I have some V6s I bought new about 2 years ago, and yes, they still flake and fall apart. Been thinking of replacing them anyway, but if the DT250 pads are a little better (stock ones are already pretty comfy IMHO) I should get some.

Apr 24, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #13 of 18
Earpads isn't to going fix the MDR V6's serious sound problems and flaws.
Only a different headphone is going to do that.

I bought the Shure SRH 840 not too long along. It has an extra set of pads I removed the original pads on the v6 and tried them on they fit not a exact fit but they fit and stay on. So I ordered a pair of 440 pads instead use those on the MDRV6 and put my 840 pads back in my 840 box.

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #14 of 18
I bought the Beyer pads shortly after I got my V6s so I can't comment on how long it it takes for the pleather to wear off of the stock pads. I can, however, fully endorse the Beyer pads as they increased my listening pleasure of the V6s greatly. I have used the V6 + Beyer pad for over two years as my work headphone for 6-7 hours a day and find them extremely comfortable. If you're thinking about getting them go for it!
beyersmile.png

Apr 24, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #15 of 18
Many studios that use V6's rip the pads right off and replace them as they're taking them out of the box. For me, it was a matter of preventing the flaking from ever taking place. I've had severall V6's and V600's before that. It's not a question of "if" but "when." When the flaking takes place, you'll find it everywhere - on your ears, in your hair, on your shirt, etc. It's often like black soot, too - try to rub it off and it rubs in and stains.

I don't know why Sony keeps using the stuff. I guess they believe the thinness adds to the comfort and they'd rather keep that feature. Either that, or they know all their high volume buyers replace the pads, anyway. Sony doesn't seem to have a headphone that uses velour pads, so that may have something to do with it, too.

Change them out to the 250 pads - the sooner, the better.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back