Sony SBH80: Wireless to the Next Level: Review
Apr 23, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #16 of 161
Just got these and am pretty impressed. Anyone tried alternate tips? In particular, any tips that provide better isolation than the stock tips? Not a fan of Comply tips - any other foam comparable to the Shure olives that fit these?

Also, any suggestions on a case for these. Kind of an awkward design for traditional cases. How do you gets store and transport them? Thanks.

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #17 of 161
  Just got these and am pretty impressed. Anyone tried alternate tips? In particular, any tips that provide better isolation than the stock tips? Not a fan of Comply tips - any other foam comparable to the Shure olives that fit these?

Also, any suggestions on a case for these. Kind of an awkward design for traditional cases. How do you gets store and transport them? Thanks.

I don't have another tip recommendation(maybe sony hybrid tips), but as of transportation, I keep them around my neck under my shirt, or just folded up in my pocket. The memory guiders are very very durable and resilient, so you shouldn't worry too much about bending them.

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #18 of 161
  I don't have another tip recommendation(maybe sony hybrid tips), but as of transportation, I keep them around my neck under my shirt, or just folded up in my pocket. The memory guiders are very very durable and resilient, so you shouldn't worry too much about bending them.

Thanks. Yea, I've noticed they're pretty resilient. Just looking for something to protect them when in a backpack, car glove box etc. Also, when home I can't just leave them on my side table because my cats will chew the cords -
eek.gif
- a serious first world problem.

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #19 of 161
I'm using cases for spectacles or sunglasses to store them. I'm using SpinFit tips and it's comfortable enough but it decreases isolation a bit. Probably try Ortofon tips/Spiral Dot/Sony hybrids for more isolation, or even triple/double flange tips for supposedly much more isolation but which I haven't tried. Comply TS series are claimed to be better than other Comply series sound-wise if you're into foam tips

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #20 of 161
  I'm using cases for spectacles or sunglasses to store them. I'm using SpinFit tips and it's comfortable enough but it decreases isolation a bit. Probably try Ortofon tips/Spiral Dot/Sony hybrids for more isolation, or even triple/double flange tips for supposedly much more isolation but which I haven't tried. Comply TS series are claimed to be better than other Comply series sound-wise if you're into foam tips

Thanks. Would love foam but can't support Comply's crap, planned obsolescence business model - sell overpriced, extremely undurable products. If only they'd sell Shure olive quality foam...

May 9, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #21 of 161
I adore my SBH80!
Reserving this spot to write my impressions later. I've been awake for ~20 hours so I feel very tired.

One thing to note, I thought APTX was a gimmick. I compared my iPhone 5s (no APTX) to my Moto X (APTX). Very noticeable difference in favor of APTX. I was very pleasantly surprised as am used to proving the marketing hype wrong.

May 18, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #22 of 161
Apt-X
Why does Apt-X get a own section? Cause it deserves it! Unlike previous generation of wireless codec, Apt-X supports Redbook level lossless streaming, so in theory, should be no worse than wired IEMs in terms of playing 16bit lossless. And it sounds like it. I prefer SBH80 to almost every other sub $100 IEMs.

Bluetooth apt-x used in headphones / cellphones etc, is a lossy format, it is not lossless.

There is a lossless apt-x codec, but it is not used with bluetooth.

Reference:

http://www.csr.com/products/technology/aptX

May 19, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #23 of 161

Apt-X
Why does Apt-X get a own section? Cause it deserves it! Unlike previous generation of wireless codec, Apt-X supports Redbook level lossless streaming, so in theory, should be no worse than wired IEMs in terms of playing 16bit lossless. And it sounds like it. I prefer SBH80 to almost every other sub $100 IEMs.

Bluetooth apt-x used in headphones / cellphones etc, is a lossy format, it is not lossless.

There is a lossless apt-x codec, but it is not used with bluetooth.

Reference:

http://www.csr.com/products/technology/aptX

Huh. I just noticed that. Thanks for pointing that out. I will edit it.

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #25 of 161
I have mine over a year too, not aware of battery life dwindling since nowadays I use it on and off and didn't really keep track of it, but mine's microphone sometimes go haywire and people on the other end of the phone conversation would report a sudden spike of noise that made listening unbearable. Could be due to some rough conditions it was exposed to such as being caught under heavy rains and lots of sweating as I use them for exercising etc, but since it was supposed to be splash-proof I wasn't too concerned about having it wet back then. Gifted away its newer sibling ActiveSports MDR-AS800 as a present thinking it'll be a nice gift improving on the SBH80 but that one was a dud. Listened to it and found poor sound quality and call quality compared to my SBH80. Likewise if my SBH80 decided to give up its last legs I'll most probably be buying the SBH80 again. Still am pleased with its overall performance.

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #26 of 161
I received my sony sbh 80 pair them with my sony z3 phone and i was totally in shocked
Wow they Sounds like sennhesier ie80 but even have much wider soundstage. The bass is deep punchy, mids are good, highs sounds good as well and Man their Image is simply AMAZING!
Sounds nothing like BT earphones ..

I wish to ask what kind or model tips they use for the SBH80 ?

Jun 23, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #27 of 161
The sound so far has been ok overall. Could use more sparkle up top and better bass speed but not something I would rate badly. The range is fairly good, I can leave my bedroom and enter the garage without much trouble tho I can cause it to cut out if I stand in certain areas. The neck package sits/stays fairly well and the build looks good.

I would prefer a design with all the goods in the earpieces but this works as well. There's been some cracking sound here and there besides the driver flex, which I'm not a fan of. It gets worse when I use the Amazon music app but the iOS player and YouTube are better behaved. Price isn't bad for the packadge. I could see myself recommending these, with caveats of course.

I'm on a iPhone 6. Prefer these tips so far:

I find the included tips too rigid and this causes discomfort.

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #28 of 161
Quick repost/update:

Wifi on/off not much if any difference. I re-downloaded the Amazon player and it's now on the same level as the iOS player so whatever was happening seems to be with the app. The microwave on the other hand murders the connection in my kitchen.

I also now connected it to my iPhone 4 for good measure.

I should also mention I'll be taking my iPhone 6 to the Apple Store Friday as it's been randomly resetting itself.

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #29 of 161
I received my sony sbh 80 pair them with my sony z3 phone and i was totally in shocked
Wow they Sounds like sennhesier ie80 but even have much wider soundstage. The bass is deep punchy, mids are good, highs sounds good as well and Man their Image is simply AMAZING!
Sounds nothing like BT earphones ..

I wish to ask what kind or model tips they use for the SBH80 ?

Included tips are exclusive to sony mobile, i believe. Though you can use other typical sony tips. I tend to prefer the stock tips. They're tuned to match the stock tips, and other tips alter the sound.

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #30 of 161
Sadly, after 6 months with mine, the right ear loses sound (slowly diminishes) after about 40 minutes.

It's a real shame as these are a great pair of BT in-ears. So, I'm back to my old setup with a sony BT dongle and a pair of Ety ER4-p's into that.

Not as convenient for sure, but I now have even better sound and isolation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back